Diaz quote on the defense

Problem2

All-American
Premium
"UM's Manny Diaz: "The biggest crime I can have as a coach is recruit speed & slow it down"

We back?

Advertisement
My two favorites from that interview:

“Who doesn’t want to attack? It almost sounds cliché,” Diaz said. “There’s a running joke. Every new defensive coordinator you hire says, ‘We’re going to be more aggressive than the last guy.’" (Ain't that the truth?)

And:

“We’ve got some guys, but we can’t be defined by talent alone,” he said. “That’s all everyone has talked about – we’re talented, we’re talented. [But] we’ve got to… be productive, stop walking around patting ourselves on the back for being talented. Let’s learn how to be productive."

^^^ This right here. Every freaking year we heard it from fans and pundits alike "Miami's got the talent. We're so talented. Look at these talented players we've recruited." Great - now turn it into a product or take your talented *** to the bench.

Sounds like we have some real coaches. Been a longtime coming. Hopefully it translates to the field.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I love hearing this stuff...I really do. But this is also why I hate the offseason - so much talk, and yet no way to prove it until it's time to get on the field. I feel like this new coaching staff is going to do wonders with this team - but for now all we can do is talk about the things that they are saying. It's so frustrating.

After what we have all witnessed and will have nightmares about for who knows how long, I (like all of us) am just drooling at the idea of seeing Miami defense again. I want to see Norton hitting Dalvin Cook next year like Wilfork hit Leon Washington. That's what I want.

I know were not expected to be a top 10 or even top 15 defense but ill be happy just watching them attack again. We havent seen miami defense in 5 years.

My two favorites from that interview:

“Who doesn’t want to attack? It almost sounds cliché,” Diaz said. “There’s a running joke. Every new defensive coordinator you hire says, ‘We’re going to be more aggressive than the last guy.’" (Ain't that the truth?)

And:

“We’ve got some guys, but we can’t be defined by talent alone,” he said. “That’s all everyone has talked about – we’re talented, we’re talented. [But] we’ve got to… be productive, stop walking around patting ourselves on the back for being talented. Let’s learn how to be productive."

^^^ This right here. Every freaking year we heard it from fans and pundits alike "Miami's got the talent. We're so talented. Look at these talented players we've recruited." Great - now turn it into a product or take your talented *** to the bench.

The one thing I will say about Diaz is that he "wins the press conference" thats for god **** sure. A gambling buddy of mine heard an interview of his and is ready to put money on our line next year. (I think its going to be 8.5...he thinks 8 by the way).. lol. He can definitely get anyone fired up about that Defense.

Advertisement
In the old days, I used to be excited when our defense came on the field. I honestly enjoyed watching our defense more than our offense. The aggressiveness, the disruption, the fear that it instilled in the hearts of the opponents, all represented what we used to be. It was the swagger. It was Miami.

"UM's Manny Diaz: "The biggest crime I can have as a coach is recruit speed & slow it down"

RayThankYouFather.gif

I liked his quote from the WQAM interview. He said something along the lines of "there are no returning starters. Everyone needs to earn their spot. We were 105th in run D last year. I could play all freshman and be 105th in run D." It really had me pumped up!! I k ow its the rah rah stuff we've heard for a decade now but I'm glad we're hearing about addressing real issues instead of toolboxes!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
These guys must be amped to finally be unleashed. This is going to be the longest off-season ever for me, I'm finally ready to watch this team again and now we have 7 months to wait.

We should run a train on the Coastal with the Fast Break on O and a smart, aggressive D.

Advertisement
Back