Diaz on 3rd Down

DeadPoets

Senior
2nd quarter - FSU is facing 3rd and 7.

Diaz puts in nickel package - single high man under (w bandy). We rush 4, have a safety come up and reroute Izzo, Quarterman picks up the leaking RB, and we have a safety over the top.

Result = 10 yard sack. Fast forward to 13:20 to see the play.

[video=youtube_share;ARTKjvngb9o]https://youtu.be/ARTKjvngb9o[/video]

Cover one man under should be our third and long defense everytime. We ran this a lot against Duke and shut them down. We didn't run it as much as I would've liked against FSU.

I don't get the hesitancy. Is Charles Perry in zone really more valuable than Trajan Bandy in man? Is Diaz really worried about a QB scrambling for a first down in that situation?

Last edited:
Advertisement
We seemed to do much better on 3rd down when we didn't blitz, but I might be wrong. I was really drunk.

Diaz puts in nickel package - single high man under (w bandy). We rush 4, have a safety come up and reroute Izzo, Quarterman picks up the leaking RB, and we have a safety over the top.

Cover one man under should be our third and long defense everytime. We ran this a lot against Duke and shut them down. We didn't run it as much as I would've liked against FSU.

I don't get the hesitancy. Is Charles Perry in zone really more valuable than Trajan Bandy in man? Is Diaz really worried about a QB scrambling for a first down in that situation?

We don't have a safety with range to play cover 1 imo. FSU lost the game on cover 1 btw. But i agree Perry is massive liability.

We seemed to do much better on 3rd down when we didn't blitz, but I might be wrong. I was really drunk.

No. You're right. Blitzes hurt us on FSUs two TD drives on at least a couple 3rd downs specifically. It's my only complaint with Diaz. And Blackman has been more effective against the blitz than when teams drop DBs into coverage.

Advertisement
Beyonce was responsible for giving up both TD passes. Have no idea why she was in there.

(not bashing the kid, just wanted to get in my "Knowles" joke) just so we're clear.

Beyonce was responsible for giving up both TD passes. Have no idea why she was in there.

True, those storm 18 dbs next year will get a lot of playing time... out Jackson (at safety) finely or carter in there before him....

No. You're right. Blitzes hurt us on FSUs two TD drives on at least a couple 3rd downs specifically. It's my only complaint with Diaz. And Blackman has been more effective against the blitz than when teams drop DBs into coverage.
Definitely on a 3rd and long we blitzed and they got a easy short crossing route for the 1st down. Think it was right before the Izzo TD

We don't have a safety with range to play cover 1 imo. FSU lost the game on cover 1 btw. But i agree Perry is massive liability.

I think redwine has range but doesn't know how to utilize it and is still learning the position

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back