Diaz gives injury update, talks FSU after Wed. drills

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the Miami-FSU rivalry matchup on tap for this week, Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz gave his thoughts on what the atmosphere might be like at Hard Rock Stadium this weekend.

“I thought Louisville had a really good atmosphere, I expect it’ll be a little juicier than the UAB game,” Diaz said. “The fans that go, we need them. It felt like the game at Louisville Saturday night was a big-time game. However many they let in, however they get there, as long as they stay distanced, make all the noise they can - it’ll benefit our team.”

The offense has yet to turn the ball over in two games, a streak Diaz is looking to continue vs. Florida State on Saturday.

“We were better securing the ball from Week 1 to Week 2, how we hold it in traffic,” Diaz said. “We know turnovers are so important to our success.”

According to Diaz, one of the main areas of focus in practice this week is to get the wide receivers untracked after a slow start to the season.

“The production over the course of the season, I think it’ll be what it should be,” Diaz said of the WR’s. "The only way to not drop a ball is not to play. What I love is we continue that `play the next play' mentality."

Asked about RT Jarrid Williams, Diaz praised the work the Houston grad transfer has done in his first year at Miami.

“I’m very pleased with his play so far,” Diaz said of Williams. “(He) has met or exceeded our expectations. He gets his hands on you, it’s hard to get off him.”

In terms of injury updates, Diaz did not provide a timeline for WR Jeremiah Payton’s return, but expected to know more about his status on Friday. Diaz also mentioned OL Navaughn Donaldson had not yet been cleared for full practice contact, but is doing some walkthrough work, and clarified that S Avantae Williams does not have a career-ending injury.

"He's just in the process of strengthening some muscles that had to be strengthened," Diaz said of Avantae.

Advertisement
With the Miami-FSU rivalry matchup on tap for this week, Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz gave his thoughts on what the atmosphere might be like at Hard Rock Stadium this weekend.

“I thought Louisville had a really good atmosphere, I expect it’ll be a little juicier than the UAB game,” Diaz said. “The fans that go, we need them. It felt like the game at Louisville Saturday night was a big-time game. However many they let in, however they get there, as long as they stay distanced, make all the noise they can - it’ll benefit our team.”

The offense has yet to turn the ball over in two games, a streak Diaz is looking to continue vs. Florida State on Saturday.

“We were better securing the ball from Week 1 to Week 2, how we hold it in traffic,” Diaz said. “We know turnovers are so important to our success.”

According to Diaz, one of the main areas of focus in practice this week is to get the wide receivers untracked after a slow start to the season.

“The production over the course of the season, I think it’ll be what it should be,” Diaz said of the WR’s. "The only way to not drop a ball is not to play. What I love is we continue that `play the next play' mentality."

Asked about RT Jarrid Williams, Diaz praised the work the Houston grad transfer has done in his first year at Miami.

“I’m very pleased with his play so far,” Diaz said of Williams. “(He) has met or exceeded our expectations. He gets his hands on you, it’s hard to get off him.”

In terms of injury updates, Diaz did not provide a timeline for WR Jeremiah Payton’s return, but expected to know more about his status on Friday. Diaz also mentioned OL Navaughn Donaldson had not yet been cleared for full practice contact, but is doing some walkthrough work, and clarified that S Avantae Williams does not have a career-ending injury.

"He's just in the process of strengthening some muscles that had to be strengthened," Diaz said of Avantae.
Great news about Avantae!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
52B99BC2-0BF5-411D-93F9-1A5F3CA904AD.jpeg

Advertisement
"Avantae does not have a career ending injury"

User: I have a bad feeling about Avantae.

like, wtf?
You want to be a lamb to the slaughter and blindly believe that coach speak nonsense that’s on you sport. I recall hearing from coaches that Malik and Richards would be fine too, that is until they weren’t! Smh I don’t trust a single word that comes out of a coaches mouth when it comes to this **** and dang right I don’t have a good feeling about this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back