Diaz comments on UVA win, updates Williams' status, looks forward to GT

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After Miami’s weekend win over UVA, head coach Manny Diaz reiterated his support for Jarren Williams as the starting QB in his Monday afternoon press conference and updated Williams’ injury status after the team practiced on Sunday.

“He has to prove he’s ready to go. If he’s not, we have all the faith in N’Kosi (Perry) to get it done,” Diaz said of Williams. “He did a little bit last night… He has to have confidence in himself that he’s back, back in prep mode. We’ll really find out Tuesday, because last night was just a light practice. We’ll see.”

According to Diaz, Williams was available vs. UVA for an unspecified situation.

“There was a package we could have used for Jarren, for Tate (Martell), for Carson Proctor,” Diaz said. “It was all depending on what was going on in the game and what we wanted to do.”

Martell was technically the backup QB against the Cavaliers, but is still working at WR as well.

“He is learning the nuance of playing wide receiver, but he’s a team guy, can take snaps at quarterback,” Diaz said of Martell. “Tate is enjoying being here, wants to be on a winning team and do whatever it takes to help us win.”

While UM took a day to enjoy the win, Diaz said the team came back Sunday focused on defeating Georgia Tech.

“Everybody feels good about the result Friday, the way we played, persevered, found a way to win in the fourth quarter, which we had not done to this point,” Diaz said. “When we came back yesterday, we put that game behind us, time to work on Georgia Tech.”

After a 6 tackle effort that also including a fumble recovery and a sack that helped end UVA’s final drive, CB Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Player of the Week.

“Congratulations to Trajan who has been working hard and I thought played his best game Friday night,” Diaz said.

Diaz also pointed out S Bubba Bolden as someone that has played well in the secondary.

“He brings athleticism, understands (the defense),” Diaz said of Bolden. “Bubba has been a big shot in the arm for our defense.”

Diaz felt there was an uptick in defensive players showing leadership last week, singling out LB Shaq Quarterman, LB Mike Pinckney, CB Trajan Bandy and DE Jon Garvin as those that took it upon themselves to get the team focused.

“You have to have guys who demand accountability from others,” Diaz said. “Offensively that’s still coming.”

Speaking on the true freshmen, Diaz said WR Jeremiah Payton and TE Larry Hodges are in line for potential redshirts. Diaz sees guys like LB Sam Brooks and DE Jahfari Harvey as players they want to get more in-game experience because of the departures at those positions going into next season.

Advertisement
After Miami’s weekend win over UVA, head coach Manny Diaz reiterated his support for Jarren Williams as the starting QB in his Monday afternoon press conference and updated Williams’ injury status after the team practiced on Sunday.

“He has to prove he’s ready to go. If he’s not, we have all the faith in N’Kosi (Perry) to get it done,” Diaz said of Williams. “He did a little bit last night… He has to have confidence in himself that he’s back, back in prep mode. We’ll really find out Tuesday, because last night was just a light practice. We’ll see.”

According to Diaz, Williams was available vs. UVA for an unspecified situation.

“There was a package we could have used for Jarren, for Tate (Martell), for Carson Proctor,” Diaz said. “It was all depending on what was going on in the game and what we wanted to do.”

Martell was technically the backup QB against the Cavaliers, but is still working at WR as well.

“He is learning the nuance of playing wide receiver, but he’s a team guy, can take snaps at quarterback,” Diaz said of Martell. “Tate is enjoying being here, wants to be on a winning team and do whatever it takes to help us win.”

While UM took a day to enjoy the win, Diaz said the team came back Sunday focused on defeating Georgia Tech.

“Everybody feels good about the result Friday, the way we played, persevered, found a way to win in the fourth quarter, which we had not done to this point,” Diaz said. “When we came back yesterday, we put that game behind us, time to work on Georgia Tech.”

After a 6 tackle effort that also including a fumble recovery and a sack that helped end UVA’s final drive, CB Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Player of the Week.

“Congratulations to Trajan who has been working hard and I thought played his best game Friday night,” Diaz said.

Diaz also pointed out S Bubba Bolden as someone that has played well in the secondary.

“He brings athleticism, understands (the defense),” Diaz said of Bolden. “Bubba has been a big shot in the arm for our defense.”

Diaz felt there was an uptick in defensive players showing leadership last week, singling out LB Shaq Quarterman, LB Mike Pinckney, CB Trajan Bandy and DE Jon Garvin as those that took it upon themselves to get the team focused.

“You have to have guys who demand accountability from others,” Diaz said. “Offensively that’s still coming.”

Speaking on the true freshmen, Diaz said WR Jeremiah Payton and TE Larry Hodges are in line for potential redshirts. Diaz sees guys like LB Sam Brooks and DE Jahfari Harvey as players they want to get more in-game experience because of the departures at those positions going into next season.

He should have said “You have to have coaches & players who demand accountability from each other ,” Diaz said. “Head Coaching wise that’s still coming.”

...then Diaz put his headset back on and listened to Salsa to prepare for GT

Last edited:
Advertisement
Going to be a very interesting week of practice.
I think he starts Jarren. I believe he wants Jarren to be the guy over N'kosi. Just my opinion, but that's the vibe I've felt for quit a while.

We should beat GT easily so Diaz can play Jarren with little risk. Jarren can put up big numbers against GT and settle into the starting spot curbing fan opinions. This is not what I believe. This I what I believe Manny is thinking.

The thing is that we can't afford to lose another game. IMO, the team plays better with a different energy with Perry. Especially, given the offensive line woes.

What is apparent to me is that Diaz is sticking to the guys he sees as long term. There is no reason Zion Nelson continues to play. Even if he is the better guy in practice, you have to give other guys an opportunity because Zuon isn't getting it done in the games. I don't even think he's ever been substituted in the past few games. It's like this mindset that Diaz has this "he is my guy no matter what" mentality that I just don't understand. He's coaching more like an NFL coach who has attached his future to a handful of guys regardless of performance. Just my opinion.

Advertisement
susan brings up a question about tate like anyone cares.

It's amazing how some people, even having encountered the same situation thousands of times, manage to develop no sense at all of how to handle it. And they apparently are totally oblivious to how ridiculous they look and sound.

Advertisement
Jarren would be a great qb if we had an elite o-line but we don't so the best option for us right now is Perry so we can win instead of losing to a garbage gt team

Manny rewards hard workers over talent.

Notice he didn't say anything about Rousseau, who was really the best defender in the game.
Barely touted Perry, who gave Manny his first P5 win.

Dude plays favorites.
If he played talent we would be undefeated period all our close games we would of won

Advertisement
I’m so ****king tired of his “Packages” for this and packages for that. This ***** has been going on since the offseason. Just play the players who win and win the mfing games, dude!

Packages, Pillars... who the he11 cares... it's all garbage coachspeak excuses... blowing smoke up, you know where

Manny rewards hard workers over talent.

Notice he didn't say anything about Rousseau, who was really the best defender in the game.
Barely touted Perry, who gave Manny his first P5 win.

Dude plays favorites.
By that logic, the better coach isn’t on this staff.

Advertisement
Back