Diaz comments on second scrimmage

View as article
Advertisement
Sounds like Perry won
if jarren's looking the best you go with him, lack of experience be damned. yeah, maybe he'll take his lumps early and we'll lose a game we shouldn't, but if he progresses the way he's capable of then we'll be a *much* more dangerous team once we hit the home stretch of ACC play.
What home stretch do you speak of? We play one team in the coastal in November. We need to be 5-0 in conference play before the FSU game, which in turns would mean we have beaten all of our division foes sans Duke. The meat of this schedule is October.

Remember last year about this time.Manny just told you can't snap your fingers and this will get fixed overnight.offense is worse off than we thought.hope you don't start flying the banners mid season.hope you give manny and enos time right the o side.

Ah, the diseare
"Where in the past, when things have not gone well, there would sort of be a tanking for the game."

Ah, giving up or quitting in any form is a very serious disease in any sport. No antibiotic four dat ... got to cut that sh*t out and slap hot iron to the wound.

Advertisement
On the growth he saw in the team in the second scrimmage…

“It was uneven, to be honest. The first half, it was a massive butt-whooping. The defense just got after the offense. Very disappointing in the way that you started to see the ‘far away’ look in some guys on the offense, things we’re trying to eradicate from our program. We had a feeling the disease wasn’t fully cured. That being said, second half, the offense rallied. Where in the past, when things have not gone well, there would sort of be a tanking for the game. I saw a couple productive touchdown drives in the second half and guys showing some competitive fight and spirit, which is really what this camp and this offseason has all been about. That’ll be encouraging. But the self-inflicted wounds in the first half, not to mention, sometime you just take a beating – will be disappointing. It’s a good reality check. Conversely, defensively, to play as well as they played in the first half, and to sort of lose their edge in the second half, was disappointing. It’s like what we figured. We have not solved all of our issues. We are solving them. But to think we just snap our fingers and have it all fixed would be fooling ourselves.”

On what he saw from the team’s quarterbacks…

“I look forward to watching the film. Obviously, in the first half, nobody played well on offense. It was hard for those guys to function, and part of that was their doing as well. But again, I saw some guys lead some good touchdown drives in the second half. I think Jarren [Williams] hit one to Will Mallory, I know we had one to K.J. Osborn at the end. I still like the running of DeeJay Dallas. I think he has been consistent throughout camp. That has been encouraging.”

On who impressed defensively…

“Gurvan [Hall, Jr.] now has three [interceptions] in two weeks in scrimmage situations, which is great for him. Greg Rousseau, I thought, showed up tonight, which we’ve been waiting for in camp. I think he’s feeling a little better about his body. That was encouraging. Of course, [Michael] Pinckney and [Shaquille] Quarterman and those guys, I think Trevon Hill had a multiple-sack night. You’re starting to see some of the progress from those guys. The consistency on the back end. Two scrimmage situations, from a tackling standpoint, pretty good. Not giving up the explosive plays on just shoddy tackling down the field, which has been a hallmark of our defense. The disruption up front and the lack of giving up big plays has always been a big part of our formula.”

On what he wants to see between Saturday night and two weeks’ time in Orlando…

“It’s simple – it’s competitive fight. That’s the whole deal. It’s going to be a highly emotional night. Both teams will be supremely motivated to play against each other. Who can keep their competitive will through adversity? Because it’s going to be a night with all kinds of adversity, for both sides. And that’s why it’s about finding the right mix of guys that don’t blink in that setting. That’s what we have to go back and study this film and find out who are the guys that will fight their way off the ropes. I think both teams are going to land some blows. When you get put on the ropes, you have to fight your way out of it.”
"It was uneven to be honest"
If that doesn't sound like coach speak BS I don't know what does. Please tell me Manolo knows WTF he's doing. I hope it's not becoming glaringly obvious that this whole QB competition hasn't turned into a **** show. Just make the Fn call. Name the starter and let the backups get after him. If the starter shows out like he's supposed to do. We roll. If he doesn't. Next man up and let the defense hold it down until one of these cats get in there and show out. If all 3 of them suck. Then ...well.... you know the rest of the story. Praying for Manolo that he gets this right. If not. That lil ******* is toast. This crazy *** fan base will turn on him overnight.

Go Canes!!!!!!

Go Canes!!!!

?Any defensive players ever been there: You beat up the offense (still YOUR teammates) first half serious scrimmage, then feel a bit sorry for them second half and not rush as hard, or other slight let down? Wonder what the dynamic is for all players in this unusual circumstance.
No. We always got after it. Never felt sorry for the other side of the ball when scrimmaging. I can't imagine anyone feeling sorry for the guy your dominating. Whether you're winning or not. Each and every player on that field during a scrimmage has one thing on their mind. And that is to DOMINATE. End of story.

Go Canes!!!!!!

With Trevon Hill & Rousseau getting multiple sacks (and the O Line "really struggling" in the scrimmage), it sounds like I was 100% correct to be concerned that UF will abuse our young OTs. Zion may be talented & he has clearly gained significant weight since arriving on campus but that doesn't make him experienced. It's a huge stage (being up against UF) in his first game. Sliding Scaife to OT and using Campbell is likely the lowest risk approach. At least it would likely prevent the OTs from being completely abused by UF. We need experienced players at the Tackle spots against UF or it will be a long night.

None of the QBs will be able to perform at a high level if they are operating under significant duress all night from UF's Defensive Ends. Manny & Coach Barry need to seriously assess the starting five on OL for the UF game. Zion should start really cutting his teeth against a significantly weaker opponent. I'm rooting for him to succeed but also realistic that he's a Freshman. Even Dorsey (a total winner) really struggled at the beginning of his first game against UW. Let's not roll over & concede the UF game this way. We have mature players on the OL. We need to use them for the UF game or the Offense will struggle.

We have tremendous skill position players on Offense (Jeff Thomas, Mallory, Brevin, Lingard (when healthy), Cam, DeeJay, Osborn, Pope & many others). We have a QB that can get the ball to them consistently as long as he's upright. That means it's the OL that is the problem.
I'm sure Enos , a credible OC, will have a game plan to mask are deficiencies and attack the '**** defense. Hence making your vaunted abusive defense look like Swiss cheese...

This exactly what I thought and wanted to happen.
We have 2 draft picks at defensive end and 2 more that are monsters. Not gonna face more talent than that. We have freaks all over the field. corners that jam you up and safeties with range that are physical. Smart physical linebackers as well.
Last thing we wanted to hear was how the offense dominated or was able to score multiple times and run with ease.

Advertisement
What is this disease Diaz says infects some players on da team?
It sounds to mike like he’s diagnosing some guys as not being tough enough. Checking out and going through the motions when things get tough. That’s the ‘far away look’ when the defense is making the offense look bad. Not believing in themselves, their teammates or staff.

What is this disease Diaz says infects some players on da team?
It’s when things aren’t going well and they start looking like this:

81F89306-8ED0-4FE0-8DC1-36951A7EFD06.jpeg

No. We always got after it. Never felt sorry for the other side of the ball when scrimmaging. I can't imagine anyone feeling sorry for the guy your dominating. Whether you're winning or not. Each and every player on that field during a scrimmage has one thing on their mind. And that is to DOMINATE. End of story.

Go Canes!!!!!!
With no let up let coaches scream at them while they giving us a break.

I’m trying to not look too much into his comments, but what are your theories on who/what Manny was meaning when he referenced the disease from last?
When he said that the first person that popped in my mind was Jeff Thomas! I can see him pouting because he’s not getting the ball

Advertisement
Well... That's not what I wanted to hear about the offense. Hopefully having a QB1 named soon (whoever it is) helps the unit
I think fans have to understand the defense is gonna be ahead of our offense. The fact is the d has been in place for what 4 seasons now. The offense just in place since spring. The defense has a huge advantage because of this head to head with our offense. Now I like that the offense fought back and made plays in 2nd half. Once we play real games it won't seem as bad. Mostly because teams out there wont have seen the offense ever day in practice. So the advantages our d has in practice wont be there for opponents.

I think fans have to understand the defense is gonna be ahead of our offense. The fact is the d has been in place for what 4 seasons now. The offense just in place since spring. The defense has a huge advantage because of this head to head with our offense. Now I like that the offense fought back and made plays in 2nd half. Once we play real games it won't seem as bad. Mostly because teams out there wont have seen the offense ever day in practice. So the advantages our d has in practice wont be there for opponents.
Facts

Advertisement
That's why so much of what Manny said had to do with mental aspects. Obvious that Manny's big task, or one of them, was instilling new mentality into offense and special teams (no more 20 yard punts).

Leadership ability might have a lot to do with who ends up at QB.

And if it wasn’t for leadership one would be close to sealing the job up

This is from 2016....this virus or disease is the same thing he mentioned when he first got the job that had to be “eradicated”, relax ...when Diaz made those same comments a few years ago, the defense COMPLETELY turned itself around..

642F57D1-590F-4634-8FD0-3B9AAC44B167.jpeg

0D561635-D02B-4AA6-A680-61F0DD95EDE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Defense across the country ahead of offense. Not an excuse. Just a fact of life.
OL takes longer than any other unit on the team to jell. Encouraged that positional musical chairs not being played.. Whether this line will be good or not remains to be seen. I have no doubts will be better than last year.

Advertisement
Back