Diaz announces Perry as starter vs. UVA, talks working with D

View as article
Advertisement
It’s unreal that our leadership on defense is coming into question. We have 2 4 year starters at LB, a CB who has played for 3 years, Garvin, Patch, Bethel. Until the culture changes, we will continue looking mediocre

Culture starts with Manny, and ended when he hired someone unqualified to run the defense. He made a mistake and he’s trying to rectify it.

Advertisement
Enos was not a bad hire. All you have to is watch what he did at Arkansas. Willaims doesn't throw 3 INT we beat VT. Thomas doesn't fumble the punt we beat UiF
I don't know how you say that. We had 10-11 penalties and gave up 7 sacks. The defense gave up TDs every VT's red zone possession.

Lastly, if Jarren doesn't throw 3 interceptions, then N'Kosi doesn't play. There's no guarantee that Jarren would have won us the game.

Letting Blake have free reign over his defense was his mistake. How is Baker not running Diaz’s system? Cracks me up imagining a DC walking into Bama and running a 4-2-5.
Diaz was running a 4-2-5 at miss st. He was going to run a 4-2-5 his first year here but grace got kicked off the team. Grace was playing striker. And bama is in nickel most of the time. They barely play 3-4 these days.

Advertisement
I don't get it. I like both QBs, both are plenty good enough to win. Jarren is a good game manager and Perry is a gunslinger. If we had the 2018 defense and Badgely, we would be top 5 and 5-0.
UF started way higher than us and is 6-0 and just beat #7 Auburn and has only climbed to #7 in the polls but we would be top 5 at 5-0. Ok

Enos was not a bad hire. All you have to is watch what he did at Arkansas. Willaims doesn't throw 3 INT we beat VT. Thomas doesn't fumble the punt we beat UiF

Or, if we just score a few points more than the other team, we’re likely to win. Enos is great that way.

Perry workin the D was last year's headline.

53697461.jpg

While some coaches might play coy to keep their opponent guessing, head coach Manny Diaz left no doubt after Wednesday’s practice: N’Kosi Perry will start at QB against Virginia on Friday.

“I want to take all the suspense out of it, we’re going to start N’Kosi Perry at quarterback on Friday night,” Diaz said.

Despite Diaz saying that Williams remained the starter following his benching vs. VT on Saturday, the redshirt freshman has been limited at practice with a shoulder injury throughout the week. The injury reopened the door for Perry, who will now be counted on to lead the Canes over the #20 Cavaliers.

“Jarren Williams is dealing with an upper extremity issue that leaves him at less than 100%,” Diaz said. “N’Kosi gives us a chance to win. We all saw last Saturday the improvement in his game, and we’re excited to get behind him, ride behind him and find a way to beat a very well-coached and tough-minded Virginia football team.”

In 2018, the Canes and Perry came into their game against UVA riding high at 5-1 and fresh off a win over rival FSU. However, the offense struggled mightily, Perry was benched after two brutal interceptions, and UM fell on the road to the Cavs, 16-13. The loss sent both Miami’s and Perry’s season spiraling, so naturally, Diaz sees this upcoming game as a shot at redemption for Perry.

“It’s actually kind of cool that N’Kosi gets to start against Virginia because that was kind of the game last year where it went backwards on him,” Diaz said.

“I think he certainly has matured, has matured as a leader. What I have seen is his development as a quarterback, his understanding how to read coverages, throw the ball to all sides of the field.”

Speaking more on Williams’ injury, Diaz didn’t want to give a lot of details, but intimated Williams was having trouble getting power behind his throws.

“You have to have the upper body to throw the football – he’s day-to-day, but we felt with our preparation we have to go with N’Kosi,” Diaz said.

Does Diaz still view Williams as the starting QB?

“Yeah, we’ve said all along that Jarren’s our guy,” Diaz said. “Right now, N’Kosi is our starter.”

The backup QB for UVA? Diaz said both Tate Martell and walk-on Carson Proctor were both getting reps with the second team today.

“We’ve got different options to go to,” Diaz said.

With Diaz taking a more active role in preparing the defense this week, the stop-unit has now had a few days to adjust to their old DC being more involved.

“I think it’s been good,” Diaz said. “They’re unhappy with the performance on Saturday. They want to be coached hard, be held to a high standard. What I’ve been able to do is get back on that field, run around, chase after guys, get after them. I expect we’ll play much better Friday than we did last Saturday.”

While Diaz said on Monday that DC Blake Baker would still call the defense, Diaz was asked again if he’d have any role in playcalling. His answer was succinct.

“It isn’t something we’ll talk about publicly.”

Translation:

"...I made a HUGE mistake with Blake Baker. Good man, bad fit so far as my DC. I am now forced to take on a role I shouldn't have to..."

Advertisement
To the people debating good or bad hire of enos.. the answer will be whether he adjusts. Largely he doesn’t and our players just aren’t meant for his style and with our OL we will never be able to bully anyone from under center. Adapt or fail

Diaz was running a 4-2-5 at miss st. He was going to run a 4-2-5 his first year here but grace got kicked off the team. Grace was playing striker. And bama is in nickel most of the time. They barely play 3-4 these days.

More like imagine Saban hiring some green kid out of LT to run his own defense and not taking the reigns until game 6 of a terrible season.

Advertisement

The jury is still out on Enos but his stubbornness with running under-center play-action **** with no running game is crazy.

You would think he'd withhold which player is the starter from the media so that Virginia is forced to prepare for the unknown. Am I overthinking this? Should have just done the politically correct coach speak and said "we're taking it day by day and will make it a game time decision"

Yeah - we could have sneaked Carson Procter out on the field, and the Virginia Defensive Coordinator would have vapor-locked.

Advertisement
Back