Diaz announces Perry as starter vs. UVA, talks working with D

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
While some coaches might play coy to keep their opponent guessing, head coach Manny Diaz left no doubt after Wednesday’s practice: N’Kosi Perry will start at QB against Virginia on Friday.

“I want to take all the suspense out of it, we’re going to start N’Kosi Perry at quarterback on Friday night,” Diaz said.

Despite Diaz saying that Williams remained the starter following his benching vs. VT on Saturday, the redshirt freshman has been limited at practice with a shoulder injury throughout the week. The injury reopened the door for Perry, who will now be counted on to lead the Canes over the #20 Cavaliers.

“Jarren Williams is dealing with an upper extremity issue that leaves him at less than 100%,” Diaz said. “N’Kosi gives us a chance to win. We all saw last Saturday the improvement in his game, and we’re excited to get behind him, ride behind him and find a way to beat a very well-coached and tough-minded Virginia football team.”

In 2018, the Canes and Perry came into their game against UVA riding high at 5-1 and fresh off a win over rival FSU. However, the offense struggled mightily, Perry was benched after two brutal interceptions, and UM fell on the road to the Cavs, 16-13. The loss sent both Miami’s and Perry’s season spiraling, so naturally, Diaz sees this upcoming game as a shot at redemption for Perry.

“It’s actually kind of cool that N’Kosi gets to start against Virginia because that was kind of the game last year where it went backwards on him,” Diaz said.

“I think he certainly has matured, has matured as a leader. What I have seen is his development as a quarterback, his understanding how to read coverages, throw the ball to all sides of the field.”

Speaking more on Williams’ injury, Diaz didn’t want to give a lot of details, but intimated Williams was having trouble getting power behind his throws.

“You have to have the upper body to throw the football – he’s day-to-day, but we felt with our preparation we have to go with N’Kosi,” Diaz said.

Does Diaz still view Williams as the starting QB?

“Yeah, we’ve said all along that Jarren’s our guy,” Diaz said. “Right now, N’Kosi is our starter.”

The backup QB for UVA? Diaz said both Tate Martell and walk-on Carson Proctor were both getting reps with the second team today.

“We’ve got different options to go to,” Diaz said.

With Diaz taking a more active role in preparing the defense this week, the stop-unit has now had a few days to adjust to their old DC being more involved.

“I think it’s been good,” Diaz said. “They’re unhappy with the performance on Saturday. They want to be coached hard, be held to a high standard. What I’ve been able to do is get back on that field, run around, chase after guys, get after them. I expect we’ll play much better Friday than we did last Saturday.”

While Diaz said on Monday that DC Blake Baker would still call the defense, Diaz was asked again if he’d have any role in playcalling. His answer was succinct.

“It isn’t something we’ll talk about publicly.”

Advertisement
While some coaches might play coy to keep their opponent guessing, head coach Manny Diaz left no doubt after Wednesday’s practice: N’Kosi Perry will start at QB against Virginia on Friday.

“I want to take all the suspense out of it, we’re going to start N’Kosi Perry at quarterback on Friday night,” Diaz said.

Despite Diaz saying that Williams remained the starter following his benching vs. VT on Saturday, the redshirt freshman has been limited at practice with a shoulder injury throughout the week. The injury reopened the door for Perry, who will now be counted on to lead the Canes over the #20 Cavaliers.

“Jarren Williams is dealing with an upper extremity issue that leaves him at less than 100%,” Diaz said. “N’Kosi gives us a chance to win. We all saw last Saturday the improvement in his game, and we’re excited to get behind him, ride behind him and find a way to beat a very well-coached and tough-minded Virginia football team.”

In 2018, the Canes and Perry came into their game against UVA riding high at 5-1 and fresh off a win over rival FSU. However, the offense struggled mightily, Perry was benched after two brutal interceptions, and UM fell on the road to the Cavs, 16-13. The loss sent both Miami’s and Perry’s season spiraling, so naturally, Diaz sees this upcoming game as a shot at redemption for Perry.

“It’s actually kind of cool that N’Kosi gets to start against Virginia because that was kind of the game last year where it went backwards on him,” Diaz said.

“I think he certainly has matured, has matured as a leader. What I have seen is his development as a quarterback, his understanding how to read coverages, throw the ball to all sides of the field.”

Speaking more on Williams’ injury, Diaz didn’t want to give a lot of details, but intimated Williams was having trouble getting power behind his throws.

“You have to have the upper body to throw the football – he’s day-to-day, but we felt with our preparation we have to go with N’Kosi,” Diaz said.

Does Diaz still view Williams as the starting QB?

“Yeah, we’ve said all along that Jarren’s our guy,” Diaz said. “Right now, N’Kosi is our starter.”

The backup QB for UVA? Diaz said both Tate Martell and walk-on Carson Proctor were both getting reps with the second team today.

“We’ve got different options to go to,” Diaz said.

With Diaz taking a more active role in preparing the defense this week, the stop-unit has now had a few days to adjust to their old DC being more involved.

“I think it’s been good,” Diaz said. “They’re unhappy with the performance on Saturday. They want to be coached hard, be held to a high standard. What I’ve been able to do is get back on that field, run around, chase after guys, get after them. I expect we’ll play much better Friday than we did last Saturday.”

While Diaz said on Monday that DC Blake Baker would still call the defense, Diaz was asked again if he’d have any role in playcalling. His answer was succinct.

“It isn’t something we’ll talk about publicly.”
Can't wait until I hear coaches say "Best chance at dominating" instead of "Best chance to win".

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
You would think he'd withhold which player is the starter from the media so that Virginia is forced to prepare for the unknown. Am I overthinking this? Should have just done the politically correct coach speak and said "we're taking it day by day and will make it a game time decision"

How in the world did this coaching staff miss a serious injury to the starting QB for two weeks and allow him to not only start a game but then send him back out on multiple drives? It was obvious that JW had no zip on the ball from the jump. Perry did a good job and should've started.

It’s disconcerting, isn’t it?

Advertisement
How in the world did this coaching staff miss a serious injury to the starting QB for two weeks and allow him to not only start a game but then send him back out on multiple drives? It was obvious that JW had no zip on the ball from the jump. Perry did a good job and should've started.
That last interception was telling, that ball was floating. He never had a good deepball, but he should have had a TD on that second int. He can't get the ball their on time.

You would think he'd withhold which player is the starter from the media so that Virginia is forced to prepare for the unknown. Am I overthinking this? Should have just done the politically correct coach speak and said "we're taking it day by day and will make it a game time decision"

He knew that he was losing CiS and that he just needed to come clean with us.

Advertisement
Back