Dewan in the NBA

cyrez8

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
He's going to be a beast IMO. The silvering lining in this garbage is that he's going to have the largest chip on his shoulder and is going to work his tail off. Having basketball stripped away from him I'm sure has made him 1000x hungrier (and the kid was a savage already to begin with). Best of luck in the NBA and can't wait to watch you Dewan!

Advertisement
He's going to be a beast IMO. The silvering lining in this garbage is that he's going to have the largest chip on his shoulder and is going to work his tail off. Having basketball stripped away from him I'm sure has made him 1000x hungrier (and the kid was a savage already to begin with). Best of luck in the NBA and can't wait to watch you Dewan!
Won’t play a minute in the league. Not trying to be a ****. Go overseas and make six figures.

No idea if we can play in the league. Last we saw him he wasn't strong enough, had zero mid-range game, and not much post-up game. I sure hope he's a beast in the league but he certainly hasn't shown enough yet, thanks in part to the NCAA, to make me believe that.

Advertisement
Bilas made the comparison kid over a $500 room against NCAA making billions, and he was ripping NCAA. I think Dewan should find himself a good lawyer and go after these ****'s. He was punished this season and 40% of next season, *** those scumbags.

He can play in the NBA, but he fundamentally needs to change his game. Focus on his jumpshot and getting stronger, he can be a rotational stretch 4 if he hits his ceiling. I always felt the staff did him a disservice by trying to turn him into a back-to-the-basket player.

He has good athleticism, which gives him a chance to become something down the road; but he has no go to moves offensively and not enough consistent effort defensively. If he busts his *** to improve, he could become a rotational big in the NBA, if not, he'll spend the next 15 years playing in Europe.

He can get there but needs more development since the last time we saw him play. Still needs to fill out his body, improve his defense, and get better at finishing near the rim.

Advertisement
Dewan is going to have to play himself into the league. Meaning he's going to have to go a year or 2 either overseas or developmental league here, before he whiffs an NBA roster. Still needs a ton of developing to do -- physically, mentally and skill wise. He's not a bad kid by any means, but has gotten some bad advice and has the wrong people in his ear. Needs to take a step back and hit the refresh button. Get back to what he was doing before he got to Miami and go from there. Best of luck to the young man. GO CANES!

Dewan is going to have to play himself into the league. Meaning he's going to have to go a year or 2 either overseas or developmental league here, before he whiffs an NBA roster. Still needs a ton of developing to do -- physically, mentally and skill wise. He's not a bad kid by any means, but has gotten some bad advice and has the wrong people in his ear. Needs to take a step back and hit the refresh button. Get back to what he was doing before he got to Miami and go from there. Best of luck to the young man. GO CANES!

him declaring was prolly the worst thing he could've done in hindsight

him declaring was prolly the worst thing he could've done in hindsight

I'm not sure. Each kid has a different home situation and circumstances. I won't pretend to know what Dewan's is like so I won't speculate what convinced him to make the jump. No question, he's got his work cut out if he's going to get his shot and stick in the league. As a UM fan, I was happy to see him stay home. However, I think the mistake was made in choosing Miami. If I'd had been in his ear while he was in high school I'd have told him to look elsewhere. Miami doesn't have a good track record of developing bigs and getting them into the league. That just hasn't been Coach L's forte since he's been here. Guards on the other hand are a whole different story. I'm just keeping it 100. GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Popa was the best big we've had in the program's history, or maybe 7 footer Mike McCoy back in 1960. Or, Steve Rich? We've really never had a top "big" to develop. Am I forgetting anyone?

Best player at the 5? I'll take wide body Mario Bland, even though he was only 6'6. Reggie gets consideration (on his good days).

Popa was the best big we've had in the program's history, or maybe 7 footer Mike McCoy back in 1960. Or, Steve Rich? We've really never had a top "big" to develop. Am I forgetting anyone?

Best player at the 5? I'll take wide body Mario Bland, even though he was only 6'6. Reggie gets consideration (on his good days).
The former UM post player that's having the best pro career currently is probably Julian Gamble. He's played well for teams in both Germany and France. That doesn't make him our "best big" in the program's history, but he's probably the best representative we have currently. With the right breaks and a shot at the NBA/G-League, Dewan should change that.

As for Dewan - here's my $0.02 - most of the practice footage and some of the pickup game videos that were posted on YouTube before this season showed that Dewan was working on extending his game out to the 3pt line. Whether he makes an NBA roster, or even a G-League roster, depends on him becoming more versatile offensively. I think his body type is good enough for pro ball state side, but he's got to get better at scoring the ball consistently. The freakish thing about Dewan at 6'11 has been his lateral movement, quickness, and burst off the floor. If he can combine that with some shot-making ability, he can make a roster. He ought to be looking at guys like Pascal Siakam and Trevor Ariza as guys he can model his game after. Dewan's taller than both of those guys, but I think his other physical traits match up well.

Our biggest flop at the post position has to be Tito Horford. He was a Mickey D's All-American and #1 Center coming out of high school. Other bigs who come to mind that never really materialized at Miami were Dwayne Collins, Kenny Kadji, and Elton Tyler.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In fairness to Kadji, he wasn't a true post - well, he was size-wise, but not skill-wise. He was a stretch 4 when it was just becoming a "thing". He played a lot better when facing the basket than he did when getting it on the block/back to the bucket.

My narrow definition of a "big" is someone who is 6'10 or taller, and plays the "5" position. Broader definition would include Strong Forwards.

I overlooked TJ (don't know how, he was so recent) and Tito Horford. Izundu is worthy of a shout out too. Collins (even though more like 6'8), did play inside. Also, Tim James, who - on second thought - maybe was our best "big."

Kadji, more naturally a stretch 4, would also qualify. As would Darius Rice. Kamari Murphy was a solid SF. Tyler was maybe 6'7 on a good day and, like Bland, operated well out of the high post.

Gamble had size but when I think of Julian I recall that nice, little mid-range jumper he had and not physical dominance. Popa, for all his awkwardness, scored well with that hook shot of his and, at 7'4, could be a terror blocking opponents' shots.

I'm sure there are more just not coming to mind. Bottom line is we haven't - in 30+ years - had many bigs who could dominate on both ends of the court.

Advertisement
Back