Dewan Hernandez

Advertisement
It's hard to look at Summer League as anything other than glorified pickup basketball games. Athletically gifted guys are going to shine, because there is little emphasis on exploiting tendencies, and very little schematic stuff is done. I'm happy that Dewan shined, but look at most of his buckets: Lots of dunks. We still don't know about his post moves, we still don't know whether he can stretch the floor with a midrange jumper. We know that he's athletic, we know that he's long. That's stuff we knew about him 3 years ago.

It's hard to look at Summer League as anything other than glorified pickup basketball games. Athletically gifted guys are going to shine, because there is little emphasis on exploiting tendencies, and very little schematic stuff is done. I'm happy that Dewan shined, but look at most of his buckets: Lots of dunks. We still don't know about his post moves, we still don't know whether he can stretch the floor with a midrange jumper. We know that he's athletic, we know that he's long. That's stuff we knew about him 3 years ago.
Agreed. His scoring ability honestly didn’t look much improved. In one game where he had more close shots than dunks, he shot under 30%. Hope he can prove me wrong.

I think he's a couple years away from polishing his skill level to the point where his faceup game is NBA ready. It's a work in progress but it's not a lost cause. Also keep in mind he wasn't in the same game shape as others in summer league because he hadn't played a competitive game in so long.

Advertisement
A better "testament to the work being done in the Gables" (as Brian Channon put it above) would've been if he had learned not to do what he did, therein disqualifying himelf and torpedoing our season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back