Dewan H to receive final word on season Monday Jan 14th

Seems like there is very little true due process for these kids and how they are handled is at the arbitrary whim of the NCAA. From my understanding, other than his name appearing on some list made by a wannabe sports agent as a possible target for payments, there is no evidence of an agreement, payments actually being made, or even Dewan having knowledge of the plan to recruit him as a client. Did UM agree to these facts hoping to receive leniency from the NCAA and in effect, ***** Dewan in the long run? What is the difference between him and all the other athletes that appeared on that list who continue to play?

UM did not "agree to these facts" for leniency.

Again, there are two components. One is the agreement, and please be aware, it has always been stated that DEWAN never agreed to it. That does not mean there is no evidence of an agreement. Given the statements that were made about an "AAU coach" who screwed over Dewan, there was probably correspondence between the AAU coach and the agent, but no similar evidence that Dewan was in on the agreement (regardless of whether he was or was not, there was no evidence thereof).

The second component is different. It says that benefits were given to Dewan (it does not say those benefits are the same as the purported "contract" called for). If UM does not contest THOSE facts, it seems like everyone is in agreement, particularly because there were intimations that Dewan could "repay" such benefits in an attempt to mitigate the penalties.

Look, I'm not super-mad at the kid, but I do think we have to be honest here, and acknowledge that SOMETHING happened. Maybe this outcome is harsher than what he "should" get, but it is true that these kinds of violations NORMALLY cost a kid his full eligibility.

I hope we can get him back for next season, and give him a chance to showcase his skills.

Advertisement
UM did not "agree to these facts" for leniency.

Again, there are two components. One is the agreement, and please be aware, it has always been stated that DEWAN never agreed to it. That does not mean there is no evidence of an agreement. Given the statements that were made about an "AAU coach" who screwed over Dewan, there was probably correspondence between the AAU coach and the agent, but no similar evidence that Dewan was in on the agreement (regardless of whether he was or was not, there was no evidence thereof).

The second component is different. It says that benefits were given to Dewan (it does not say those benefits are the same as the purported "contract" called for). If UM does not contest THOSE facts, it seems like everyone is in agreement, particularly because there were intimations that Dewan could "repay" such benefits in an attempt to mitigate the penalties.

Look, I'm not super-mad at the kid, but I do think we have to be honest here, and acknowledge that SOMETHING happened. Maybe this outcome is harsher than what he "should" get, but it is true that these kinds of violations NORMALLY cost a kid his full eligibility.

I hope we can get him back for next season, and give him a chance to showcase his skills.
Guess it doesn't matter now. CBS Sports is reporting that Dewan is entering the NBA Draft.

Blake making clear the university did not agree with the facts laid out by the NCAA

Last edited:
Blake said he disagrees with the decisions and interpretations and reliability and conclusions. Not the facts.

The NCAA has been a laughing stock for years. Contrast Dewan's situation w Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, etc. and it becomes obvious that they have no ability to dispense fair and equal treatment and, most likely, don't really care either. And spare me the legalisms of what the NCAA has jurisdiction over, blah, blah, blah. The cheating is everywhere, but as George Orwell said, "some pigs are more equal than others".

I am convinced they feel the walls closing in on them with the FBI stuff, and that's why you are starting to see things like the transfer portal to level the playing field some for the athletes.

Best of luck Dewan - use this ***** job to motivate you to prove them all wrong.

Advertisement
Bottom line: He doesn't deserve this level of penalty but ... he is not innocent. He should have known better. If he didn't, UM needs to look within to find out why.

Only good to come from this is UM will always have this case to point to in indoctrinating incoming players. A real live tragedy; not some hypothetical example.

If nothing else, that Dewan "was transparent, cooperated, and admitted he made some mistakes" means he was far from an "uninvolved innocent lamb" in the Dawkins matter.

Although no one seemed interested to reply, I have posted here several times how unfair the NCAA "agent" policy is for those that are 50-50... good enough to "consider" going into the draft with someone providing "agent" advice (if not an actual registered agent), but equally possibly better off staying in school another year when the market opportunity doesn't seem bright enough.

So Dewan probably "explored" and probably violated at least the spirit if not the letter of several regulations about going about that. That NCAA is unfair and biased and especially here and now against Dewan is certainly suggested. But the fact that this NCAA policy seriously needs revamping might concern interested parties even more?

Guess it doesn't matter now. CBS Sports is reporting that Dewan is entering the NBA Draft.

Part of me wants Miami to draft him since he'll slip down from not showcasing enough. But since he didn't showcase enough it's a gamble. He's probably a early teens, late first round pick

Advertisement
Part of me wants Miami to draft him since he'll slip down from not showcasing enough. But since he didn't showcase enough it's a gamble. He's probably a early teens, late first round pick

He was going to go undrafted last year.

He hasn't played in a year.

He is not going to be drafted at all. "Early teens, late first round pick"? Insanity.

He was going to go undrafted last year.

He hasn't played in a year.

He is not going to be drafted at all. "Early teens, late first round pick"? Insanity.

Your probably right. But the NBA is a league of "Potential & Projects" some players get drafted just for there size. But he might be one of the ones that has to go prove his talent overseas in Europe or China, few players like the grind of the G-League

Your probably right. But the NBA is a league of "Potential & Projects" some players get drafted just for there size. But he might be one of the ones that has to go prove his talent overseas in Europe or China, few players like the grind of the G-League

Sure, but go back and Google prior drafts. The second round is littered with "draft-and-stash" foreign players, and guys that never actually play in the NBA. It actually can work against a player to be a traditional college player who spends more than 1 year in college.

Advertisement

lol what? no one had him on the boards at all and he hasn't shown any improvement bc he hasnt played. **** be in Lithuania

Bottom line: He doesn't deserve this level of penalty but ... he is not innocent. He should have known better. If he didn't, UM needs to look within to find out why.

Only good to come from this is UM will always have this case to point to in indoctrinating incoming players. A real live tragedy; not some hypothetical example.

he knew better, he just didnt care. my theory is that he assumed he would've gotten a better grade and wouldn't have to come back to school (he declared without an agent)

I hope you're right about being a 1st round pick, but I seriously doubt it. He just hasn't shown anything in his 3 years at Miami to warrant being drafted that high. Kid has some athleticism for a big, but no where near where he should be as far as skill set. There's nothing elite about him when you break down his game. Needs more development and a lot if it at that. At this point I'd be ecstatic if he got drafted period, but I think he'll end up getting a summer camp invite to play in Vegas or Orlando. Depending on how he does there where determine where he ends up during the season. Good luck to him. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
We should all recall the case or our linebacker, about 2001, who sent the fax in saying he was going to turn pro, had not signed with an agent. and almost immediately after hitting send, he had second thoughts and wanted to withdraw and told NCAA that. Lost his case. I think name was Nate MacMillan.

Dewan always played much smaller than his "size." That was what he needed to change this season to move up in scouts' considerations.

We should all recall the case or our linebacker, about 2001, who sent the fax in saying he was going to turn pro, had not signed with an agent. and almost immediately after hitting send, he had second thoughts and wanted to withdraw and told NCAA that. Lost his case. I think name was Nate MacMillan.

Webster

Silvio De Sousa just got hit way hard than Dewan.

The NCAA is the legit definition of a Kangaroo Court.

Advertisement
Back