Dewan H to receive final word on season Monday Jan 14th

Advertisement
Miami's Dewan Hernandez still hopes to play after ruling again upheld
7:58 PM ET
  • i

Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer
An NCAA legislative committee on Monday upheld two previous decisions regarding potential rules violations involving Miami junior Dewan Hernandez, Hernandez's attorney said.
The NCAA originally determined that Hernandez, who formerly went by the name Dewan Huell, had entered into an agreement with Christian Dawkins despite having no written contract, sources told ESPN. Dawkins, who worked as a runner for NBA agent Andy Miller but was looking to start his own agency, was one of three defendants found guilty of fraud in October's trial into college basketball corruption.
A membership committee upheld the ruling in early January.
Hernandez responded to the latest development in a tweet Monday evening.

Dewan Hernandez

@DewanGoesFor_20

https://twitter.com/DewanGoesFor_20/status/1084963139173707776

I do not understand why other individuals that were implicated continue to compete, while I am being punished. I have sat out 16 games... Why me? No worries though, God has the last say so
1f64f-1f3fd.png
#freedewan

6:59 PM - Jan 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

274 people are talking about this

The next step for Hernandez and Miami is to submit paperwork to the student-athlete reinstatement committee in hopes Hernandez can play this season. The school is expected to do that on Tuesday morning.
"I'm truly discouraged by the outcome of this final legislative appeal but remain optimistic that Dewan will play this season," Jason Setchen, Hernandez's attorney, told ESPN. "What it ultimately will come down to is whether the student-athlete reinstatement committee takes all of the relevant factors into account when considering mitigation. I do not believe that it is fair to Dewan that he has been singled out, and we hope the committee will make the right decision and lets Dewan play this season.
"We don't agree with the findings of the legislative committee, but the university is bound by those findings," Setchen added. "I believe there is a bona fide basis for mitigation to support a determination that Dewan be deemed eligible this season."
An answer from the committee is expected by the end of the week, sources told ESPN.
ESPN's Mark Schlabach reported in early November that Hernandez was one of 19 players listed by Dawkins in an emailed business plan. The plan shows Dawkins planned to pay Hernandez $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1,000 per month until April 2018.
If Hernandez had left Miami after last season, he wouldn't have had to pay the money back, according to the email. The payments would have been converted into a loan if Hernandez returned to Miami for his junior season.
There was no evidence in the email that payments were made, or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan, and a source told Schlabach that Hernandez did not agree to any sort of payment structure.
Hernandez, a former five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American, has been held out of competition since the start of the season by coach Jim Larranaga. He averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds last season.

Advertisement
Did I read where this student committee (Dewan's last chance) meets tomorrow, Friday the 18th? Or, is that when the decision comes down.

Did I read where this student committee (Dewan's last chance) meets tomorrow, Friday the 18th? Or, is that when the decision comes down.
someone posted an article excerpt where a reporter-type "suggested" a decision is "expected" by end of the week. perhaps there was something else but that's all I saw this week. fwiw.

So ... is today decision day, or not? If so, he'll be playing tomorrow night against UNC or not at all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The NCAA supposedly gave us a break. Supposedly the mandatory action is Permanent suspension. Kind of like when they gave us a break for not giving us the Death Penalty. I'm done saying Miami has it harder than most, but...

NCAA provides reinstatement decision for Miami’s Dewan Hernandez

January 28, 2019 1:39pm

University of Miami men’s basketball student-athlete Dewan Hernandez must sit the remainder of the 2018-19 season and 40 percent of next season for entering into an agreement with and accepting benefits from an agent.

According to the facts of the case, which were agreed upon by the university, Hernandez agreed to receive monthly payments from an agent and accepted other benefits from the individual. According to the guidelines adopted by NCAA membership, the starting point for these violations is permanent ineligibility, but the NCAA staff recognized mitigating circumstances based on the specific facts of the case when making its decision.
When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete’s eligibility be reinstated. The NCAA staff reviews each student-athlete reinstatement request individually based on its own specific facts. If there is any disagreement on the case facts, it can be appealed to a membership committee. The decision may be appealed to the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee, which is comprised of representatives from NCAA schools.

Advertisement
I will wait for Charlie Strauzer to provide some insight, but I'm not sure what else could have been expected.

From the language used, it seems that UM agreed with the facts. From the language used, it seems Dewan AGREED to receive monthly payments (though the implication is that he did not receive those payments) and that Dewan DID ACCEPT other benefits. Either one of those violations, absent the other, might not be as bad, but together, we would normally view that as "signing with an agent".

I am not saying there was no deception or other elements. And, yes, the NCAA took an incredibly long time to finally decide this case (though there were several appeals).

I guess that the next question is whether 2018-19 can count as a redshirt, and whether Dewan can play again in 2020. Assuming he wants to stay. I can't imagine that all of the time off gives him a better shot of being drafted (compared to last year).

Yes, I am disappointed, but at this point, I am not surprised. I'm upset, but not outraged.

Charlie, help me understand the NCAA's wording, compared to what you know about what happened.

Seems like there is very little true due process for these kids and how they are handled is at the arbitrary whim of the NCAA. From my understanding, other than his name appearing on some list made by a wannabe sports agent as a possible target for payments, there is no evidence of an agreement, payments actually being made, or even Dewan having knowledge of the plan to recruit him as a client. Did UM agree to these facts hoping to receive leniency from the NCAA and in effect, ***** Dewan in the long run? What is the difference between him and all the other athletes that appeared on that list who continue to play?

Advertisement
Back