Dewan H to receive final word on season Monday Jan 14th

Advertisement
I feel so bad for this kid. He drove all the way from the Gables to Tallahassee in HIS OWN CAR just to help his teammates in practice. Talk about a team player. Sure, he made a mistake, but he's served MORE than enough time for a minor infraction. It's probably too late to have an impact on the end result of our season, but for everyone's sake #FreeDewan #EffTheNCAA

I feel so bad for this kid. He drove all the way from the Gables to Tallahassee in HIS OWN CAR just to help his teammates in practice. Talk about a team player. Sure, he made a mistake, but he's served MORE than enough time for a minor infraction. It's probably too late to have an impact on the end result of our season, but for everyone's sake #FreeDewan #EffTheNCAA

I agree except for his impact. These games are close enough where his contribution could have made Miami 3-0 or 2-1 at worse. Considering Sam is MIA at the moment, Dewan playing would be huge. Dewan is enough to put Miami over the hump and they could make the NCAA tournament. It is possible.

Advertisement
I agree except for his impact. These games are close enough where his contribution could have made Miami 3-0 or 2-1 at worse. Considering Sam is MIA at the moment, Dewan playing would be huge. Dewan is enough to put Miami over the hump and they could make the NCAA tournament. It is possible.
Of course he would have a huge impact. I meant I believe that it's too late. Assuming we can beat Wake without him, we'd be 9-7, 1-3 with a couple of bad losses on our resume (Yale, Rutgers) and zero quality wins. We'd have to go on an incredible run to make it even a remote possibility.

For Dewan's sake, not to mention Coach L and the future perception of the program, let's hope the NCAA does the right thing.

Not sure the NCAA considers this a "minor infraction." Fingers crossed he gets reinstated.
I’m not too encouraged when Dewan’s attorney is spelling out his defense on Twitter trying to gain public sentiment...

Until Monday

I wonder what Dewan, looking back, thinks now of this whole matter? How it could have been avoided and what it means to his life/basketball career going forward.

Advertisement
For Dewan's sake, not to mention Coach L and the future perception of the program, let's hope the NCAA does the right thing.

They won't. This is the NCAA wanting payback for them getting called out for the Shapiro investigation. They want to stick it to Miami, and this is the best way to do it. They know full well few people will say anything this time.

Much of the NCAA policies and approaches to "star" student athletes needs revision. A major flaw is the fact that if a student athlete has the potential to go pro, and wants to "just explore" that life-changing rewarding option, they must do it without ANY professional guidance... agent, lawyer acting like an agent, or similar.

If one is on the cusp, and may wish to play another year if the draft and pro opportunity chance doesn't seem "ripe" enough, they are really screwed: ...Entertain (even hear out) some contact or engagement from someone in the business and risk NCAA sanction or worse, or go it alone with just friends and family and amateur guidance. Even conferring with a friend entrenched in pro sports has consequences.

Frankly, it's very unfair to someone in Dewan's situation, from the get-go.

I wonder what Dewan, looking back, thinks now of this whole matter? How it could have been avoided and what it means to his life/basketball career going forward.

If he declared last year and ended up in the Euro League he would have completely avoided this. I think he should have taken the Addidas money, but went to Louisville. He would have definitely had a good enough fresh and soph year to declare after last year and that would have been a win win. He would have got the under the table money and still been able to go pro. Once you are in the league you are untouchable by the NCAA.

Advertisement
I would like to be optimistic that the NCAA does the right thing but hard to believe that they will

I would like to be optimistic that the NCAA does the right thing but hard to believe that they will

Exactly. When you admit that your case is weak, but still refuse to reinstate someone, then it's obvious that there is something sketchy going on. Then again, they are picking on Dewan because they can. They wouldn't dare do this to Duke and Williamson because they need to make money off of that guy. There's little money to be made off of Dewan Hernandez, if you are the NCAA.

Advertisement
I'm cautiously optimistic. Let's see what happens.
Same here. I'm hoping the NCAA realizes that UM went beyond what they needed to do in this matter, and at great cost to the season/program. If the NCAA has a shred of dignity left, reinstating Dewan now could be done easily while saving their two faces.

Why is the national media not backing Huell on this? If it were any other school Jay Bilas would be trashing the NCAA on the hour

Advertisement
Back