Devin Phillips 2018 OG (6'3 300lbs) Neville HS (Monroe, LA)

D

deleted18678

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/devin-phillips-185665

This kid is extremely underrated. Great technique and athleticism and comes from a program that has great coaches and a winning mentality. TCU has made a living off of under the radar players from Monroe - A few years ago their entire offensive line were kids from Monroe that were never heavily recruited by LSU or Bama. Also, Kevonte Turpin wasn't even offered until after the state championship his senior year. He then received two offers - La Tech and TCU. He went to TCU and made plays as a true freshman

Advertisement
Also, just got off the phone with a guy who is very familiar with Neville high school. Supposedly, the team is having an off year but has many state championships and makes it to the championship game almost every year. They also play up in 4A despite having a 3A enrollment. Last year they produced 7 D-1 football players. Current big time college players include a starting DB at Alabama, LSU's best DE, and two receivers at TCU.

As of his knowledge, no one from Neville has ever played football at Miami in the past 15 years or more. However, one of their top $ donors is a Miami alum, the grandson of their historic coach went to Miami, and a guy very active with the program is a huge Miami fan. So there are some vague connections. Maybe worth a closer look.

Good info, but Miami is the market for a Left Tackle to close out the 2018 class, we have plenty of OG's already.

Go Canes

Good info, but Miami is the market for a Left Tackle to close out the 2018 class, we have plenty of OG's already.

Go Canes
Outside of Donaldson our guard play has been pretty bad. If this kid can play I'd take him.

Advertisement
Kid is also a monster DT - not sure what we offered him to play.

I just came across this article about how they moved him to DT at the beginning of the year.

link
Neville's Phillips makes the move to defense

And this one about how he played both ways in the Neville's playoff game this past weekend.

Link
Defense, special teams carry Neville to quarterfinals

Neville has pumped some of the nations Top DT's over the last 3 years. As a NT Devin Phillips may have some transferable skill sets similar to OG.

Go Canes

Last edited:
I’d be fine looking at him as an OG or DT. Donaldson should continue to lose weight and can slide out to OT if we need to in order to put our best 5 on the field

Are there any highlights of him at DT. I would go light on the monster DT , moniker. Considering the bar is set VERY HIGH coming coming neville as dlinemen. Phidarian Mathis was a beast, and Rashard Lawerence was unreal also. So is Phillips on that level? If so then you can say he is a beast, if he is better let us.

Go Canes

Advertisement

Are there any highlights of him at DT. I would go light on the monster DT , moniker. Considering the bar is set VERY HIGH coming coming neville as dlinemen. Phidarian Mathis was a beast, and Rashard Lawerence was unreal also. So is Phillips on that level? If so then you can say he is a beast, if he is better let us.

Go Canes

I saw Rashard Lawrence play quite a bit. Complete beast. Always gave great effort. But , at least in high school he wasn't in any condition to play a lot of plays. The fact that Devin can step up like he did and dominate in the trenches on both side of the ball says a lot about his heart. I remember a few Bama croots in the area that wouldn't leave their feet their Senior year. This kid leaves it all on the field.

So I can't say he has the pedigree of Mathis or Lawrence but he doesn't "block" and "tackle" - he blows people up

I just came across this article about how they moved him to DT at the beginning of the year.

link
Neville's Phillips makes the move to defense

And this one about how he played both ways in the Neville's playoff game this past weekend.

Link
Defense, special teams carry Neville to quarterfinals

Neville has pumped some of the nations Top DT's over the last 3 years. As a NT Devin Phillips may have some transferable skill sets similar to OG.

Go Canes

Great stuff. Thank you for sharing. Kid is a competitor and 100% about the team. I love that. Just get him on the team.

Advertisement
K.norton was a hs ol and dt right? Maybe this guy can be the same?

Could be! I personally like going after two-way players, they just seem to have a better feel for the game since they know what their opponent is trying to do to them and how to beat it from having played that position. Less of a learning curve I guess. Plus if a guy is relatively equal at each position, you can pick and choose according to depth, which helps the team and gets that player on the field earlier.

Kid has insane lateral quickness. Watch him pulling....he pulls sideways instead of turning and running....and he does it quicker than most kids run forwards. No idea if that's a skill transferable to DT, bit it's a sign of great athleticism.

And he hits people like a ton of bricks. Even big kids look like they've been in a traffic accident when he blocks them.

As skeeter asked, is there any interest?

My goodness........ I don't know where you put this guy but I'd take this guy just off the athleticism for a 300 pounder. Guys aren't suppose to be that athletic as big as he is. I hope we spot him.

Advertisement
Apparently coach Baez has been quietly keeping tabs on the young man.

[HUDL]video/3/6331658/59e4cda95ca94d0dd4c35ad5[/HUDL]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back