Developing talent

DeadPoets

Senior
I think we have one of the best, in Golden, in terms of developing kids (mentally, physically, football IQ, etc).

I can't believe some of the players Golden has gotten production out of in his 3 years here (Jacory, Streeter, Thompkins, Cornelius, Kacy Rodgers, Shayon, McGee, and on and on)

****... he's very Butch-esque in those regards. Let's just hope he stays around to see it all come to fruition.

Advertisement
A huge part of it is that Golden only recruits smart, selfless players that are willing to buy into his philosophy.

That makes them much easier to coach.

He's done a good job for sure though.

Of course, some think that there is no such thing as 'player development'....

Advertisement
He made specific mention of player development being his number one goal in his first speech as I recall.

Guys who some of the fan base said sucked or were written off:

Green- **** good today, can be solid in a rotation
LRob- playing the best in his career
Gaines- **** good college MLB
Cornelius- made a few big plays today
Rodgers and Highsmith are playing well too

6 guys getting major minutes and producing that some say werent Miami caliber.

Side thought: Dammit I wish we had Gaines for another year.

Amazing what he's done with Rodgers, Armbrister, Cornelious, Highsmith etc...

Armbrister is a real proof of player development. Unknown, FCS-recruited talent that is making big plays as an upperclassman. A few others are Shayon Green (a "Purdue" level recruit) and Jimmy Gaines (a MAC level recruit). They developed into nice players by year five. They weren't Golden recruits, so we can't give him the evaluation credit, but he coached these otherwise JAGs into good players.

Rodgers, Cornelius, and Highsmith were highly regarded recruits. They, too, needed to be coached up over the course of 3, 4, and 5 years, but they were pretty talented players as preps. Great to see them making big contributions late in their careers and should be a reminder that as fans, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss these top recruits while they are still here. There is always time to turn it around as long as you have a coach that can develop players. The past two coaches couldn't, so it got this fanbase into the mindset that a lot of these players are afterthoughts once they are given an extended look and don't deliver as second or third year players.

Last edited:
I think by the end of the season we will really appreciate guys like Gaines

Advertisement

Armbrister is a real proof of player development. Unknown, FCS-recruited talent that is making big plays as an upperclassman. A few others are Shayon Green (a "Purdue" level recruit) and Jimmy Gaines (a MAC level recruit). They developed into nice players by year five. They weren't Golden recruits, so we can't give him the evaluation credit, but he coached these otherwise JAGs into good players.

Rodgers, Cornelius, and Highsmith were highly regarded recruits. They, too, needed to be coached up over the course of 3, 4, and 5 years, but they were pretty talented players as preps. Great to see them making big contributions late in their careers and should be a reminder that as fans, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss these top recruits while they are still here. There is always time to turn it around as long as you have a coach that can develop players. The past two coaches couldn't, so it got this fanbase into the mindset that a lot of these players are afterthoughts once they are given an extended look and don't deliver as second or third year players.

THIS THIS THIS.

People forget that it took Butch FIVE seasons to develop us into the juggernaut we became from 2000 onwards. The 98 recruiting class was really the jump-off, because we had to deal with scholarship cuts the previous seasons. We suffered some seriously tough losses in 98 and 99, but at all times, our youngins were getting reps, learning game by game, and eventually the thing took off once their experience and awareness caught up with the physical talent.

The same **** thing is starting to happen, right now. And it's not finished yet- this is merely the beginning of our ascent. Our incoming 2014 class is a monster, and we still need to develop along both lines for the future, but you have to absolutely love what we have in place and how much our players have bought into Golden's philosophy. If we're this good now, imagine a year or two from now. Enjoy the ride.

From my perspective, I wouldn't take another coach in America to lead this program RIGHT NOW and I mean that with total conviction. Love everything about Golden and the way he runs a program.

On the subject of smart and disciplined players, did we have an offsides today? Or a false start? Or even use a timeout? Not exactly sure on the latter but if so it screams volumes in comparison to previous seasons, especially when taking the moment into account.

Just going to post that. We didn't use a timeout till less than a minute left in the game (before punt). The sign of a very disciplined and well coached team.

Advertisement

THIS THIS THIS.

People forget that it took Butch FIVE seasons to develop us into the juggernaut we became from 2000 onwards. The 98 recruiting class was really the jump-off, because we had to deal with scholarship cuts the previous seasons. We suffered some seriously tough losses in 98 and 99, but at all times, our youngins were getting reps, learning game by game, and eventually the thing took off once their experience and awareness caught up with the physical talent.

The same **** thing is starting to happen, right now. And it's not finished yet- this is merely the beginning of our ascent. Our incoming 2014 class is a monster, and we still need to develop along both lines for the future, but you have to absolutely love what we have in place and how much our players have bought into Golden's philosophy. If we're this good now, imagine a year or two from now. Enjoy the ride.

God damnit yes. Yes, yes. Finally the porsters here are getting it.

From my perspective, I wouldn't take another coach in America to lead this program RIGHT NOW and I mean that with total conviction. Love everything about Golden and the way he runs a program.

Totally agree with you. It's a matter of time before he becomes the face of college football

some of the ppl on this site think "developing talent" is a myth..... if ur not a star as a freshman then get rid of him and move on. ::alien::

Advertisement
Holy cow. Some of these posts. How were these things ever mentioned. What a difference a year makes lolololol

Advertisement
Back