Derrick Griffin question

LexZapata

Freshman
Whenever Griffin may get in, December to January being the forseeable timeframe for his arrival, how does that concern his basketball eligibility? Will he be able to play immediately? Will he be forced to redshirt? Does the arrival date have anything to do with it, as in does he have to be here by a certain date to be able to play basketball?

Advertisement
If he enrolls for the second semester here at UM, that is when he would be eligible to play. He wouldn't be allowed to play any games until January, so he would get a few months but IMO it wouldn't be worth it. He would be better off waiting until next year.

he is on a fb ship, i'd rather he spend the spring in the weight room and spring fb practice his 1st year here. if he played bball, he basically wouldn't get any fb time in until april. basically after the school year and he'd have the just the summer.

I thought I read a quote from him confirming that he does not plan on playing bball in the spring. Maybe I misread but that's what I recall.

I've posted this before - but if Griffin gets in I wouldn't expect him to Redshirt, or stay for 4 years (he may not even stay 3)

He's 20 yrs old right now, and turns 21 in September. His strength/body is probably pretty well developed already, so there's no point in holding him back IMO

It'll be hard to pick up basketball after missing half a season of practices and have your first games against ACC teams. I'd think lack of practice time would be a bigger hindrance than any strength issues.

Advertisement
I've posted this before - but if Griffin gets in I wouldn't expect him to Redshirt, or stay for 4 years (he may not even stay 3)

He's 20 yrs old right now, and turns 21 in September. His strength/body is probably pretty well developed already, so there's no point in holding him back IMO

It'll be hard to pick up basketball after missing half a season of practices and have your first games against ACC teams. I'd think lack of practice time would be a bigger hindrance than any strength issues.

Would have a Mike Williams(USC) type impact from go.......

Advertisement
Back