Derrick Griffin coming in December

Great news, but I'm in the I'll believe it when I see him on campus camp. I'm hoping though, because he's a monster.

Keep in mind he turns 20 on Sept. 3rd. He'll be 21 when he plays his first football game here. My guess is he stays on campus no more then 2-3 years and goes pro in whichever sport works out best for him.

Advertisement
Has anyone coach/program in the country done a better job of adding to their roster than Alfred James Golden and Miami since LOI day?

Remember the buzzkill that was signing day and how they just kept grinding away? It's impressive on many levels...

Advertisement
So here is my question if he actually did qualify why would he wait until Jan to enroll he will miss a third of the basketball season, then he thinks he can come in mid season and be in shape to run the court at the ACC level. Not to mention does he think he can beat out the other players ahead of him that have been there in the off season also. I think Griffin didn't qualify and will continue to work on it. I think it was a mutual descision by the staff so they could free up a spot for 2014 kid that will potentially EE and be counted back to 2013 filling Griffins spot. Then Griffen will be counted as a 2014 kid if/when he gets his test scores in order. He was going to be redshirted for the 2013 season anyway, so grey shirting worksout for everyone.

Ask yourselves where do you think Braxton Berrios offer spot came from considering he is a 2014 EE kid.

Go Canes

Paranos you are the ultimate conspiracy theorist. He said he was coming in December, TIFIW until we get further information. You really think the staff would rather wait for this kid to come in after spring ball them before? Griffin is pretty **** talented on the court too, I wouldn't count him out. More information will come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
No plots just a little roster management by the staff. An it avoids politics if someone from s.fla gets their pulled later because they wanted to play the recruiting game.

Advertisement
seems like he is going to prep school to play Bball if he got in they would have him on campus in August

Something does seem weird about him not coming in December if he is already qualified. Why not just come in August, then red-shirt in football and focus solely on basketball year one.

No plots just a little roster management by the staff. An it avoids politics if someone from s.fla gets their pulled later because they wanted to play the recruiting game.

The whole thing doesn't make sense. If he goes to prep he can't play ball this year. He said he qualified but he's coming in December, I would figure they would want him in asap but if they feel he's not a necessity for this season they could've just have defered him to jan enrollment. I doubt it has anything to do with recruiting, more to do with preparation for sanctions. Either way there's really not info information out there to speculate on what happen, it was just one tweet. More information will come out so I'm just going to wait & see.

Usually I would say this kid is good as gone since he didn't quality for this season but I get a good vibe from this kid he will be a hurricane and the basketball team is a big reason... cant wait to see this kid on the field I think hes the reason lane is scared to come here kid is a flat out baller....

Now what does this do for his eligibility as it relates to the football team?

Will he be a sophomore or a freshman in '14?

Aren't you happy for Coach L and Canes basketball?

157.gif

Advertisement
Great news, but I'm in the I'll believe it when I see him on campus camp. I'm hoping though, because he's a monster.

Keep in mind he turns 20 on Sept. 3rd. He'll be 21 when he plays his first football game here. My guess is he stays on campus no more then 2-3 years and goes pro in whichever sport works out best for him.

His best chance is in football. There's really no question. He's a 20 year old Frosh basketball player without a set position as a professional prospect. Focus should be on football and growing into a TE, most likely.

In football he is a man child and possible mid first rounder. In basketball he is a nice college prospect.

Advertisement
Not at all buying that he's qualified. If he was, then he'd be here in August. Sometimes, kids get embarrassed when axed repeatedly about their academic follies. That's why I never believe what they say about grades or test scores.

May be hard to accept, but the young man would be better served coming here in Dec/Jan and hitting the books for a semester before stepping on a field or court. Hard to imagine someone who has struggled academically doesn't need a little grace period before taking on two sports. Good luck.

From a poster on tos

I spoke wIith someone close to derrick and hE will be here in December. This is what he told me and He has no reason to lie. Derrick scored a qualifying act score of18 on the verbal and quantitative part. He is still waiting for the written part, and He should receive that next week and is pretty sure he did well enough to pass. He also has passed all his core courses with a gap just under 2.5. He also passed thE Texas exIt exam. He posted he qualified because he is qualified with tHe NCAA clearinghouse under a sliding scale for some d1 schools with lower academic standards but not get Miami righT now.. He is going to retake a few core courses online to raise his gpa to 2.5 and with his act score of 18 he can get into Miami in dec by taking these classes in the next few months without going away to prep. He has already spoken to coaches about participating in spring ball when ball is over.

Advertisement
Back