Derrick Green will visit

Let me re-frame this for everyone just a little bit...forget the Clarett comparisons and all that stuff.

Derrick Green is the type of back from the Eastern part of VA who normally ends up at either UVA or VT, and they develop from an elite HS back into a dependable/steady college back with power that, whenever Miami pops up on the schedule, goes for 150-175 yards and several TD's while he runs thru/around/over our defense...and we bytch/whine/moan/complain about how we wish we had a back like that on our team.

Well, here's our chance to get a back like that on this roster. His HS video isn't all that impressive--I'm not all that crazy about it either. His vision is only average, and his top-end speed AND burst at the point of attack are below average (IMO). BUT--the kid is physical, and if he can develop his current decent footwork into something more--then we won't need him to be a homerun hitting back. Just be what he is--the downhill ground and pound guy that always falls forward--and that could develop into a more complete back during his collegiate career. You pair him with Duke, you've got 2 guys who are almost polar opposites, but can hurt a defense in several ways...especially when used in tandem w/one another.

Advertisement
I think Derrick Green would've gotten his team more then zero points against Miramar

Let's focus on the above statement..... Alex Collins highlight tapes look likes he is going up against JV high school football teams. As soon as he has to go up against the "big boys" his team scores zero points against Miramar. Wow impressive lol

Derrick Green's competition is much better then what Alex Collins faces each week and he is dominating regardless..... the teams know he is going to get the ball and still can't stop him. Judging by Green's tape, he is running behind a small o-line in a one back offense but still hits the wholes hard and runs very fast even though he weighs 220lbs.

But yeah he looks like "Mike James before this year" hilarious :ibisroflmao:

I just don't see how this guy is a top 3 back in the nation.

If Golden wants him, let's get him. But ****...

It's an incomplete state but in 4 games Green had a total of 641 yards and 10 TDs (9 rushing, 1 receiving)....

He is 6'0" 220lbs and runs a faster forty then Alex Collins.....??????

Advertisement
I just don't see how this guy is a top 3 back in the nation.

If Golden wants him, let's get him. But ****...

We are kind of forced to trust the staff, given their track record, albeit a short one. But I just don't see anything special on his film.

5A level Virginia football on that end of the state normally churns out a few D1 players each and every year. He's going against really good competition, but I personally feel like he should still be more dominant on film if he's the best back in the country, like his ranking says.

Why are people talking about competition? This is the same school that put out Curtis Grant (5* LB) a couple years ago. There aren't many schools in the world that produce top talent that regularly. VA has tons of talented backs every year and I've never seen competition mentioned as a weak point.

Green has been on the scene for a long time and he's all over the camp circuit. That and his size/speed measurables are the main reasons for his high ranking. Obviously he's not an elite talent on film like Collins, but he seems like a solid replacement for Mke James. Like James he's a bigger back who works hard, has some shiftiness and runs downhill. He's not as powerful as his size would indicate and he's not as explosive as his 40 time would indicate, but he's a solid back who can be a dependable 3-4 year power back. What I want to know is how is he as a blocker and receiver.

Why are people talking about competition? This is the same school that put out Curtis Grant (5* LB) a couple years ago. There aren't many schools in the world that produce top talent that regularly. VA has tons of talented backs every year and I've never seen competition mentioned as a weak point.

Green has been on the scene for a long time and he's all over the camp circuit. That and his size/speed measurables are the main reasons for his high ranking. Obviously he's not an elite talent on film like Collins, but he seems like a solid replacement for Mke James. Like James he's a bigger back who works hard, has some shiftiness and runs downhill. He's not as powerful as his size would indicate and he's not as explosive as his 40 time would indicate, but he's a solid back who can be a dependable 3-4 year power back. What I want to know is how is he as a blocker and receiver.

Green is a better blocker and receiver then Alex Collins....

IMOhe does a good job of making sure he avoids injury by the way he goes down when he gets tackled. Most of the times he is being tackled is b/c guys are aiming at his ankles..... he can always further develop into a guy that will blow defenders up but he definitely isn't timid running the football. Green runs hard and fast and it's obvious that he is always falling forward for an addition 2-3 yards every time he gets tackled.

Comparing how he looks on film to Alex Collins going up against JV football teams is laughable

Advertisement
I think Derrick Green would've gotten his team more then zero points against Miramar

Let's focus on the above statement..... Alex Collins highlight tapes look likes he is going up against JV high school football teams. As soon as he has to go up against the "big boys" his team scores zero points against Miramar. Wow impressive lol

Derrick Green's competition is much better then what Alex Collins faces each week and he is dominating regardless..... the teams know he is going to get the ball and still can't stop him. Judging by Green's tape, he is running behind a small o-line in a one back offense but still hits the wholes hard and runs very fast even though he weighs 220lbs.

I swear I thought I was the only person who noticed this. The dlineman were smaller than him and everyone was touting him as a power back. the guy wont even see safeties that small in college

He was injured that game

He was injured that game

yeah b/c he finally went up against a real team and got manhandled

Advertisement
If collins was still committed, we would not have any of these threads on Green.

and not that collins is gone, all these posts about inferior competition and etc come out of the woodwork

smdh

If collins was still committed, we would not have any of these threads on Green.

and not that collins is gone, all these posts about inferior competition and etc come out of the woodwork

smdh

I wasn't on this board when Alex Collins was getting slurped up like he's the 2nd coming of Christ.... it was pretty ridiculous.

The reason why nobody was talking about Green is b/c he didn't have us in his final group until recently.... also Alex Collins is good enough. If Derrick Green was committed to Miami before this year, nobody would be talking about him either.

It's an incomplete state but in 4 games Green had a total of 641 yards and 10 TDs (9 rushing, 1 receiving)....

After watching their highlights, im pretty confident that Collins would smoke Green in a foot race.

Advertisement

After watching their highlights, im pretty confident that Collins would smoke Green in a foot race.

doubt it.... Alex Collins does a lot of shuffling w/ his feet that look good but it's waisted motion.

Derrick Green looks like he is running 5 yards in 2 or 3 steps.

^^^ Did you see the run at the 0:53 sec mark.... he is gaining 10 yards in like 4 steps!! crazy.

and Alex Collins gets caught from behind as well. Also I didn't see a lot of what I would call a "shoe string" tackle. It looks like most of the times he is tackled is b/c of gang tackles or people diving at his legs.

Regardless we are talking about high school kids that will develop further in college.... I think he is more of a ready package then Collins. He knows how to catch the ball and he is a good run blocker.

Collins >>>>>>>>>>>> Green for sure. Faster and, though lighter, packs a much heavier punch on contact. Collins is a freakin beast and we need to get him back in the fold. It makes too much **** sense for him to be a Cane. He's a lock for a 100+ carries next year with us. Also, Collins body is not nearly developed as Green's as he just started in the gym this past year. I think he's better now, and his ceiling for growth is much higher as well

Advertisement
Back