Depth at DE has players excited

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami's wealth of edge rushers is one of the major bright spots on the roster in 2017. Senior defensive end Trent Harris said today that this is the deepest group that he has been a part of at Miami.

"It's a lot different, never had it since I've been here at Miami. The practices are a lot more competitive now and we've got three or four guys deep that can play and compete. They can all play right now," Harris said.

Freshmen Jonathan Garvin and D.J. Johnson have already impressed as players who are ready to play on the talented front-4 as well. Defensive tackle Kendrick Norton said yesterday that Garvin might be a bit ahead of Johnson right now because he enrolled early -- and linebacker Shaq Quarterman mentioned Garvin, Johnson, and safety Amari Carter as three freshmen opening eyes.

Redshirt junior Demetrius Jackson got off to a good start last season before being slowed by a knee injury, but he is back at 100% ready to go. He is another player excited about the depth of the Canes defensive ends.

"We got everybody back this year with some new additions and people healthier. There's nothing to change it all, we've just got to pick up where we left off last year. We can't have no excuses out here," Jackson said.

Sophomore Joseph Jackson looks to follow up his sensational opening season, which he led the team in sacks with 8.5. Sources have also told Canesinsight in recent weeks that Scott Patchan has shown that he's very capable of seeing action this season as long as his knee allows him to. Certain people within the program have actually said he has the best burst off the ball of any player on the defensive line other than Joseph Jackson.

Advertisement
Miami's wealth of edge rushers is one of the major bright spots on the roster in 2017. Senior defensive end Trent Harris said today that this is the deepest group that he has been a part of at Miami.

"It's a lot different, never had it since I've been here at Miami. The practices are a lot more competitive now and we've got three or four guys deep that can play and compete. They can all play right now," Harris said.

Freshmen Jonathan Garvin and D.J. Johnson have already impressed as players who are ready to play on the talented front-4 as well. Defensive tackle Kendrick Norton said yesterday that Garvin might be a bit ahead of Johnson right now because he enrolled early -- and linebacker Shaq Quarterman mentioned Garvin, Johnson, and safety Amari Carter as three freshmen opening eyes.

Redshirt junior Demetrius Jackson got off to a good start last season before being slowed by a knee injury, but he is back at 100% ready to go. He is another player excited about the depth of the Canes defensive ends.

"We got everybody back this year with some new additions and people healthier. There's nothing to change it all, we've just got to pick up where we left off last year. We can't have no excuses out here," Jackson said.

Sophomore Joseph Jackson looks to follow up his sensational opening season, which he led the team in sacks with 8.5. Sources have also told Canesinsight in recent weeks that Scott Patchan has shown that he's very capable of seeing action this season as long as his knee allows him to. Certain people within the program have actually said he has the best burst off the ball of any player on the defensive line other than Joseph Jackson.

Sooooo...we can have excuses?

Don't put me on hold.

All the championship teams have a badass white boy, we got Patchan and Berrios this year, why not the ACC championship with just decent quarterback play with the way our defense is going to play this year

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Advertisement
I hope Scott's knee holds up.

Remember wondering who that white boy was blowing up the Haitian Sensation.

I think it was pretty telling when even with how stacked our DE depth was last year...the staff still managed to sneak Patchan into the lineup on a situational basis even coming off his injury.

I have a good feeling about Patchan. He's going to wreck **** on the edge.

If our DTs hold up, opposing QBs are not going to enjoy life this year. Lots of fear-laden short passes with exposed WRs for those three young LBs to Vanover. Fresh fast long legs and arm coached by a NFL draft pick machine. Can you smell the good old days?

Advertisement
I think we'll win ugly in 1 or 2 games this year just based off the strength of our front 7. They'll be able to tell the offense "Just get us 14, and we'll take care of the rest".

They're going to be a nightmare for opponents all year.

Advertisement
people sleep on scott, he was running wit the 1s last spring before injury. coaches know what he can do.

Advertisement
Patchan played 2 snaps against our best opponent and dominated both snaps. Very limited sample size, but he looks like an incredible natural pass rusher.

Patchan played 2 snaps against our best opponent and dominated both snaps. Very limited sample size, but he looks like an incredible natural pass rusher.

He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on that one play he drilled Frenchie. I was like "who the **** was that", and had to check the roster to figure out it was Patchan. Really hope he stays healthy. Just keep rolling out fresh guys to get after the QB all ******* game. Kick Thomas and someone like DJ, Garvin or Demetrius down inside on passing situations and get after it. Make the secondary look like studs when QB's are trying to get rid of the ball too quickly or can't set their feet to make accurate throws. The fact that there's talent in the back end, albeit with limited experience, should allow them to take advantage of a strong front 7.

Advertisement
Back