Denzel Daxon 2019 DT UM commit has an interesting back story

Paranos

All-ACC
Link to article
Denzel Daxon needed only 3 months to achieve a dream with Miami

Denzel Daxon needed only 3 months to achieve a dream with Miami

By David Wilson, Miami Recruiting Reporter
October 25, 2017

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – There aren’t many opportunities for exposure to American football in the Bahamas. You can find flag football leagues around the country and the debut of the Bahamas Bowl in 2014 brought a handful of additional efforts to get kids playing tackle football. If you’re like Denzel Daxon, maybe you grew up watching some of the college games you got on television, usually featuring the Florida schools.

There’s an inherent ceiling to playing football in the Bahamas. Players with lofty gridiron ambitions have no choice but to come to the U.S. to get noticed.

“The day I met him,” said Michael Tunsil, who is Daxon’s guardian in South Florida, “he had on University of Miami slippers.”

Something about the sport – and particularly Hurricanes – captured his attention. The 6-foot-3, 305-pound teenager knew he had the build it took to be good at the sport, even if there weren’t many chances for him to try it out back home.

In July, Daxon made a move. The soon-to-be high school junior picked up and moved by himself to Florida, hoping he could capture Miami’s attention.

It took less than three months. The Hurricanes offered Daxon a scholarship on Oct. 14. Seven days later, the defensive tackle became the seventh member of Miami’s Class of 2019. He verbally committed to the program Saturday.

“I always wanted to go to Miami, so getting an offer was a blessing,” Daxon told DieHards on Tuesday. “So I committed. There was no question about it.”

1000% commit 💯🙏🏾✋🏾🤚🏾😌 @coachtunsil @LetsMeetAtTheQB @Coach_MannyDiaz @Coach_Baez pic.twitter.com/989GteoNIQ

— Denzel Daxon (@Dreamchaser_zel) October 22, 2017

But for Miami to be able to take a chance on Daxon, first someone in the U.S. had to do the same. Tunsil is now an assistant coach for Miami Norland Senior High School in Miami Gardens after stepping down in 2015 as the coach at Champagnat Catholic School in Hialeah, Fla. One of the standouts during Tunsil’s tenure at Champagnat Catholic was Christian Strachan, another Bahamian who plays offensive line for D-II Eastern New Mexico University.

Strachan didn’t have much he could show Tunsil. Daxon had never played in a game or done organized drills. A handful of pictures and Strachan’s word were all Tunsil had to go off.

“Christian is one of my better players that I coached,” Tunsil said. “I took his word for it.”

It has worked out so far. Despite being unrated in the 247Sports composite rankings, Daxon pulled in offers from Kentucky, Georgia Tech and the Hurricanes once his midseason film started circulating earlier this month. Miami Norland Senior is one of the best teams in the state and, despite his inexperience, Daxon is one of the team’s most productive defensive players.

Tunsil could see it from Day 1. The defensive lineman’s first bit of football activity came only a few weeks after he arrived stateside. The Hurricanes held their Paradise Camp on July 23 in Coral Gables, Fla., and Daxon had to be there.

It was his first chance to make an impression on Miami and the entire area football scene, and Daxon didn’t disappoint. As Tunsil recalls, Daxon was the only player to best 4-star Miami offensive guard commit Delone Scaife during drills, and he did so twice.

“I feel like I did fairly good,” Daxon said.

The Hurricanes went silent, though, until they offered Daxon at Hard Rock Stadium. That was already a dream come true. Committing to his dream school this soon after he started playing was almost surreal, even if it wasn’t unexpected.

Daxon knows he’s been playing well this year and feels he’s improving each day. At first he could use his instincts to be a bull-rusher, charging into the backfield to blow up plays before they began.

His raw ability earned him the nickname “Big Suh” before his first regular season game began. He was so impressive during a preseason scrimmage one of the coaches at Miami Norland said Daxon reminded him of Ndamukong Suh. Daxon even wears No. 93, like Suh does for the Dolphins.

“He had all of the necessary attributes that a big D-tackle needs,” Tunsil said. “He has a quick first step. Real big and strong. He just really didn’t know what he was doing.”

Now, Daxon’s starting to learn. He doesn’t just rush through the offensive line anymore like his instincts tell him. The junior has learned the value of skills like occupying double teams or staying in proper position to clog up running lanes.

It’s all a work in progress for Daxon, but it’s coming along quickly. He’s just thankful his beloved Hurricanes took notice.

“It’s a blessing. All of this is a blessing,” Daxon said. “It’s a dream come true.”

Advertisement
So raw but yet hasn't shown up to any camp all off season. I truly question how bad this kid really wants it.

Advertisement
Very odd situation indeed. Especially since the rumors are that Jess Simpson isn't that high on him. You would think he would take every chance possible to prove the doubters wrong. I am a fan from the reps I saw him take at that camp when he was going toe to toe with Scaife. But if the staff get turned off by his lack of competing I wouldn't blame them for backing off. I am hoping there is something personal going on with him and the staff is aware and that is why he has been MIA.

He’s a DT dude. I could care less about what a DT does in shorts.

Rumors are that JS wants to push him out if possible. He has to earn his spot all over again or he is out of this class. I am a big fan of his but hes gotta be smarter. Now all of this is moot if buddy plays like an animal his SR year. Hope he does.

So raw but yet hasn't shown up to any camp all off season. I truly question how bad this kid really wants it.

I am starting to get the impression it could be more of an issue with guidance ( whom is guiding him) more so than the young man himself.

He moved to another country to try an get an opportunity to play for Miami. So now that he is here an committed to UM, wouldn't you expect him to be on campus 24/7 if he could. Now ask yourself if your in a foreign country and have a guardian would you need money and transportation from said guardian to get around. Also Daxon is new to the sport and culture so his understanding of hey I should / can hang out on campus as much as possible to build relationships; is lacking and should be reinforced by someone that knows how the recruiting process works cough cough mr. Tunsil.

But I am thinking since UM is not dropping bags for players, young mr. Daxon is getting the Tunsil super economy plan.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Rumors are that JS wants to push him out if possible. He has to earn his spot all over again or he is out of this class. I am a big fan of his but hes gotta be smarter. Now all of this is moot if buddy plays like an animal his SR year. Hope he does.

Coach Jess should look at this situation a little deeper. Coach Jess wants things clean cut an dry but in south Florida in addition to the regular recruiting hurdles, you also have to factor in the cultural differences as well the Handlers that come along with situations like Daxon's.

Go Canes

Where are you seeing these rumors?

I've seen that Ivins has stated he wouldn't be surprised if Daxon didn't end up in this class, but I havent seen him communicate any real reason

Coach Jess should look at this situation a little deeper. Coach Jess wants things clean cut an dry but in south Florida in addition to the regular recruiting hurdles, you also have to factor in the cultural differences as well the Handlers that come along with situations like Daxon's.

Go Canes

Keeping it real right there. Also, read over the weekend that he and Sam Anaele couldn't make it because of transportation issues. Easy to say a local kid should be there, but not sure what they're supposed to do. Is Tunsil at Doral now?

Advertisement
Where are you seeing these rumors?

I've seen that Ivins has stated he wouldn't be surprised if Daxon didn't end up in this class, but I havent seen him communicate any real reason

On here. LOL. Numerous times. Whether its true or not who knows. But where there is smoke..

The only reason I could see him pushed out is for numbers. However, unless a lot changes we won’t be anywhere near the 26-27 player range people are expecting. Right now even with Nunn, Ingraham, Neal, Richards, McIntosh, and a TE we’re only at 23. It’s going to take hitting on all the remaining targets like Stevenson, Bogle, and Haselwood for numbers to a problem. That’s highly unlikely we hit on all those guys. Even so, would you rather push out Martin or take a flyer on this kid?

Advertisement
The other thing to consider is that Nesta, Miller, and Holley are more space eating 1 techs. Diaz may want Munoz type builds this class to play 3 tech. I think we should offer Munoz’s Daddy if he has eligibility left.

The other thing to consider is that Nesta, Miller, and Holley are more space eating 1 techs. Diaz may want Munoz type builds this class to play 3 tech. I think we should offer Munoz’s Daddy if he has eligibility left.

Nesta is best suited as a 3-tech with the ability to be versatile and play 1-tech. Holley seems like the same.

Miller is the only real 1-tech. I think Daxon fits that mold, as well.

I am starting to get the impression it could be more of an issue with guidance ( whom is guiding him) more so than the young man himself.

He moved to another country to try an get an opportunity to play for Miami. So now that he is here an committed to UM, wouldn't you expect him to be on campus 24/7 if he could. Now ask yourself if your in a foreign country and have a guardian would you need money and transportation from said guardian to get around. Also Daxon is new to the sport and culture so his understanding of hey I should / can hang out on campus as much as possible to build relationships; is lacking and should be reinforced by someone that knows how the recruiting process works cough cough mr. Tunsil.

But I am thinking since UM is not dropping bags for players, young mr. Daxon is getting the Tunsil super economy plan.

Go Canes

No kid that Lives in Dade County should have any excuse about visiting Miami. Hope on the Train and get off at Coconut Grove. Too many excuses in my eyes

Keeping it real right there. Also, read over the weekend that he and Sam Anaele couldn't make it because of transportation issues. Easy to say a local kid should be there, but not sure what they're supposed to do. Is Tunsil at Doral now?

Hope on the Train get off at the Grove, text a current player to come and pick you up. Problem solved

Advertisement
Back