Dennis Smiff out here playin- Bat Signal Thread

Wow, you already have Harmon and Barrow starting and they haven't even been to campus yet. MSU must have had an elite defense last year with those two. And then Jones and Scott in the 4 deep, Blount as an afterthought. Why do we even bother with HS recruiting? We celebrate getting 5-star DTs and then think we can stuff them at the back of the pack and hold on to them. These kids didn't sign to come here and ride the bench, they'll be gone in the December portal if you think you can fourth string them.
IMG_4251.gif

Advertisement
Wow, you already have Harmon and Barrow starting and they haven't even been to campus yet. MSU must have had an elite defense last year with those two. And then Jones and Scott in the 4 deep, Blount as an afterthought. Why do we even bother with HS recruiting? We celebrate getting 5-star DTs and then think we can stuff them at the back of the pack and hold on to them. These kids didn't sign to come here and ride the bench, they'll be gone in the December portal if you think you can fourth string them.
Someone tell this guy that we were in the top 5 last year for most playing time for freshman in the country. Mario will play the young guys if they are ready but we have to go all in this year with Cam Ward and try to make the playoff.

Out of desperation I've chosen to ignore this but MSU defensive rankings weren't pretty. I do think it's funny that our best player on defense (a freshmen) was the beneficiary of injuries last year. Dangerous game.

Remind us again how long Jones and Scott have been on campus? And how many practices has Blount gone through this spring?

Absent the case of the truly rare breed of talented and athletically gifted player, I really don't like the idea of TF (especially those who don't participate in spring practices and/or reclassified) in the 2-deep at DT. That is a grown man position that typically requires some development, even for blue chip guys.

Last edited:
If Mario lands those 2, Gore has to be processed?

NT - Harmon, CJ Clark, Moten, A Jones.
DT - Barrow, Cook, Horton, J Scott.

Plus they got Campbell who can play in/out and Blount as well.
In that scenario, would Clark look to bounce? I would think he came here to start.

Advertisement
If our top 3 DTs are these two monsters and CJ it’s a huge step. I’ll believe it when I see it that we can sign both considering I saw Mich St fans say that Harmon was already the Big 10s highest paid DT
Until proven otherwise I give us no shot at top portal DT’s coveted by SEC schools. One will be like winning the lottery, both will send the NCAA and justice department to Coral Gables!

In that scenario, would Clark look to bounce? I would think he came here to start.
I expect Clark to start. I think we should seek one DT starter and then shift the rotational burden to the guys who are here. With the extra $, please spend on anyone - Safety or Nickel - who can cover quick slots.

My realistic wish list:

Martinez
Someone like Brown at WR
Starting DT
Edge
Nickel Corner
Hybrid Safety with some speed

Advertisement
I expect Clark to start. I think we should seek one DT starter and then shift the rotational burden to the guys who are here. With the extra $, please spend on anyone - Safety or Nickel - who can cover quick slots.

My realistic wish list:

Martinez
Someone like Brown at WR
Starting DT
Edge
Nickel Corner
Hybrid Safety with some speed
You don’t have a true corner on your list? I personally feel that’s a need. Porter and brown aren’t enough. Richard is good but just good

Advertisement
You don’t have a true corner on your list? I personally feel that’s a need. Porter and brown aren’t enough. Richard is good but just good
I don’t think we’re going to afford one or that there’ll be one who’s worth paying a premium. It’s not a wish list. It’s a ‘realistic’ wish list.

I think most would agree here and I’m just thinking out loud but I wonder how they feel about Stafford? He gets a little lost in the shuffle but he was a bigtime recruit

Still think we gotta have the Marshall kid though that would be huge

Advertisement
I think most would agree here and I’m just thinking out loud but I wonder how they feel about Stafford? He gets a little lost in the shuffle but he was a bigtime recruit

Still think we gotta have the Marshall kid though that would be huge
Canesville saying Stafford needs to gain weight, but he looks good

10/4. What’s your opinion on the Marshall kid ?
Better fit for that Jack position and the Wide9 role we really need, but no idea if he'll give us what Harvey did or, hopefully, something more. I haven't really watched him enough to say. I've mentioned elsewhere that 75% of what Trent Harris gave us in his last year would be great.

Remind us again how long Jones and Scott have been on campus? And how many practices has Blount gone through this spring?

Absent the case of the truly rare breed of talented and athletically gifted player, I really don't like the idea of TF (especially those who don't participate in spring practices and/or reclassified) in the 2-deep at DT. That is a grown man position that typically requires some development, even for blue chip guys.
Getting any kind of true production out of true freshman trench players is an absolute bonus… what Bain and Francis gave us last year should not always be expected

Would love to just ease them in seeing some good quality reps by mid season to complete a solid rotation

Advertisement
Back