Dennis Erickson

Schnelly built it from the ground up. Erickson inherited a thriving program that reached its peak during the Johnson years. Erickson also happen to let the program spiral out of control and land the university into its first big sanctions.

I agree with you, but stating why he most likely getting snubbed. Also Erickson has the best win percentage of any Cane coach.

Advertisement
Well deserved. For all his faults, Coach E won a lot of games here and at a bunch of other schools too.

It's ironic that Erickson was ahead of his time spreading out defenses with all his Florida speed but it's taken 25 years for another Miami coach to realize that's the offensive philosophy we should always have run.

I agree with you, but stating why he most likely getting snubbed. Also Erickson has the best win percentage of any Cane coach.
College football in the mid 80s to early 90s was not ready for what the Canes brought to the table. While Coach E had a few faults, many involved felt the program paid a price for the swagger they brought to college football

He Won 2 NCs with JJs players....once 92 came around, his recruiting was Garbage...Notoriously lazy recruiter.....his offensive gameplan against Bama in the NC game was complete Trash.....The one or no RB gameplan was an absolute joke, especially with a garbage OL...and Bama having the Best DL in CFB....

Advertisement
He Won 2 NCs with JJs players....once 92 came around, his recruiting was Garbage...Notoriously lazy recruiter.....his offensive gameplan against Bama in the NC game was complete Trash.....The one or no RB gameplan was an absolute joke, especially with a garbage OL...and Bama having the Best DL in CFB....
Jimmy lost in 86 with the greatest talent in college football to that point and posssibly ever. How was that game plan? Coach E doesn’t get enough credit

Jimmy lost in 86 with the greatest talent in college football to that point and posssibly ever. How was that game plan? Coach E doesn’t get enough credit
Yes he does....and left UM under incredible sanctions with his lack of control.....The 86 NC game was Still winnable till the end....against Bama it was over from the getgo.....

Yes he does....and left UM under incredible sanctions with his lack of control.....The 86 NC game was Still winnable till the end....against Bama it was over from the getgo.....
In 86 Miami was so much better than Penn State At every position on the fieldit wasn’t even close on the other hand alabama’s defensive front seven was so much better than Miami’s offensive line and that was the difference. Kehoe Is the most overrated assistant in UM history BTW I like Jimmy but he was too stubborn to run the ball and 86 and walk away with the win

Last edited by a moderator:
Schnelly built it from the ground up. Erickson inherited a thriving program that reached its peak during the Johnson years. Erickson also happen to let the program spiral out of control and land the university into its first big sanctions.
Not quite. Schnellenberger inherited a nucleus of talent from Lou Saban.

Advertisement
Well deserved. For all his faults, Coach E won a lot of games here and at a bunch of other schools too.

It's ironic that Erickson was ahead of his time spreading out defenses with all his Florida speed but it's taken 25 years for another Miami coach to realize that's the offensive philosophy we should always have run.
He did it at WSU without Florida speed. And he had two 1000 yard rushers in the same year running his spread.

So why was the program on the brink of being torn down prior to Schnellenberger's hiring?
I don't know when the talk of disbanding football occurred. I know Saban did not have a great W-L record but he started to bring in some superior talent which were the nucleus of Howard"s good early UM years.

EDIT: Actually, I think the talk of dropping football might have been after Selmer's tenure.

Theres more to this than just win-loss. They need to create a Schnellenberger rule. He is revered at both UM and FAU. Name another coach that has accomplished as much as him at two different schools.

He completely changed the way colleges recruit while taking UM to a championship in just 5 years.

He didn't just rebuild FAU, he got it up and running to the point of respectable in a relatively short time.

Schnellenberger deserves the HOF.
a dd Louisville to that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back