Off-Topic Demographic Trends and future Recruiting for the U

GhostRecon_Cane

When the U is on, there is nothing else like it.
So back in 2014ish a poster talked about how Miami is becoming gentrified and how a lot of the African American population is headed north to places like Atlanta and the Carolinas. He was downvoted into oblivion (by myself included).

Today as I’m scrolling thru Twitter in celebration of our recent OC hire I see this tweet and reply from everyone’s favorite documentary filmmaker and a poster.

Really hope this trend is addressed obviously for more reasons than football.

Attachments

• 4DE240BC-8853-4DC1-B40E-ABEABB8B240A.jpeg
    4DE240BC-8853-4DC1-B40E-ABEABB8B240A.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 160
  • 6B70EAAF-3825-4D5F-9471-245D368E3B2E.jpeg
    6B70EAAF-3825-4D5F-9471-245D368E3B2E.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember article in miami herald in early 2000's writing about what happen to the youth in south florida. Everyone complained about the cost of living in florida is just to high for the young so everyone was moving up to atlanta. I notice people will wither try to move to broward or palm beach, if that is not sufficient then metro alanta it is.
Honestly south florida needs to find a another business sector beside hospitality, tourism, medical and international banking

It is definitely something to monitor, and another reason that we have to recruit better in the rest of the state.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Shouldn't effect recruiting too much, the most recent example I can give is Shaq, Pinckney, & Michael Jackson, all of their parent(s) were from Dade.

And let's stop beating around the bush and call it what it is, Urban Colonization. What's cheaper, to build a whole new community with a police force, mass transit, waste water plant, paved roads, schools, etc.?...or do you just invade a community that already has all that? It's a no brainer.

Reminds me of a scene from The Wire:

Last edited:
Gentrification is not just a Miami issue
The issue that is somewhat specific to Miami is high property taxes. Homestead exemption can help, but Miami has a high mileage rate, and property values are extremely high, makes it difficult for anyone who doesn’t make a **** ton of money to live in Miami, regardless of race.

Advertisement
Demographics has sent this whole country into a frenzy. From my perspective there should be legislation prohibiting Corporations from purchasing single family and townhomes. We've allowed Corps to run amuck and now they own the government. While we fight about demographics and participation, corps limiting who can live the American dream.

And let's stop beating around the bush and call it what it is, Urban Colonization. What's cheaper, to build a whole new community with a police force, mass transit, waste water plant, paved roads, schools, etc.?...or do you just invade a community that already has all that? It's a no brainer.
And "relocate" communities that have been in place for hundreds of years to run down suburbs with typically poor or non-existent leadership and structure in place.

Advertisement
The issue that is somewhat specific to Miami is high property taxes. Homestead exemption can help, but Miami has a high mileage rate, and property values are extremely high, makes it difficult for anyone who doesn’t make a **** ton of money to live in Miami, regardless of race.
That's no different in Broward or Palm Beach. A $50k homestead exemption might have been signiificant on a $150k house, but not so much on a $650k house.

After the GFC, the government in their infinite wisdom, passed a series of rules that made it much harder for banks to lend on construction. As a result, on a macro basis, we have a housing shortage in this country, especially middle and lower end housing.

Add to that shortage a longer term demographic trend towards the Sunbelt that was exacerbated by Covid, and you have the makings of a crisis, which is unlikely to reverse any time soon. Does the typical person want to live in a colder climate with higher taxes, or a warmer climate with lower taxes?

A lot of lower income people around where I live have gotten up and left to the Deep South for tax, wage and inflation relief. They work remotely now and dont have to spend that extra 15-20% on big market housing costs.

A lot of lower income people around where I live have gotten up and left to the Deep South for tax, wage and inflation relief. They work remotely now and dont have to spend that extra 15-20% on big market housing costs.

In Florida, the hottest housing markets percentage wise are the smaller cities; SW Florida for example, is red hot, because its cheap compared to SE Florida. I believe Ft. Myers had the highest year over year rent percentage increase in the country. Mobile, Little Rock, Pensacola, San Antonio etc. experienced similar growth.

Advertisement
Back