Defining play of the game + thoughts on toughness

RadioRahim

Recruit
I realize the sky is falling on this message board, and I'm pretty disappointed like the rest of you. But I'm also a bit more zen about all of this. Mario and staff just got punched in the mouth for 2 straight weeks with the latest loss being particularly inexcusable. Now is their chance to show how they handle adversity and grow - or fold under the pressure. This wasn't going to be a national championship season and we had to expect some growing pains in the transition from Manny's team/scheme to Mario's; I'm all for allowing coaches to make mistakes early in their tenure and learn. With that said, old school Canes teams would never have been this unprepared for an opponent, especially one they were universally expected to beat, so this current staff is far from meeting the bar that has been set previously.

- In my opinion, the defining play was getting stopped on the goal line to start the 4th Q and then MTSU scoring on that 98 yard pass. I know we got those points right back with the Keyshawn Smith kickoff return, but that changed the entire momentum of the game. Garcia had been on a roll with the O to that point and had MTSU backpedaling. We also were about to close the lead to 7 points. MTSU stopping the offense and then scoring immediately was a double whammy. It showed them that they could stop Miami on D and also showed MTSU's O they could push our defense around. After that sequence, there was ZERO fear of Miami on either side of the ball.

Other thoughts:
- Garcia may be the right choice at QB for this team. I still like TVD, but it was clear the offense is better with Garcia (off a limited sample size) and he has better chemistry with the WRs. Pretty sure TVD isn't going pro after this season anymore, so the loser of this battle probably transfers.
- This team just felt soft, which is actually surprising to me - especially given that my one takeaway from the TAMU game was that the guys played hard and didn't fold. I'll still give the team time to figure it out, but I didn't expect so many players to look like JAGs given how many were elite recruits. No one stepped up to be a difference-maker or make a huge play unlike the old Canes teams where Kevin Patrick, Rusty Medearis, Dan Morgan, PBuch, Santana Moss, Andre Johnson, Edgerrin, Sapp, Reed, STaylor, Winslow, etc. (the list is endless) would have put the team on his back in some way. Sadly that just means we don't have any of those types of players at the moment.
- Still can't believe the defense could hold TAMU to 17 points and then turn around and give up 45 to MTSU. TVD did them no favors, but they got pushed around and it wasn't even close. I put the loss more on the defense because they gave up so many big plays and couldn't get MTSU off the field when it mattered.

Mario has 2 weeks of soul searching to tear this all down and build it back up. Season isn't lost as it was a growth season to begin with, but the staff and team have to show some fight from here on or else this board's meltdown will be justified. The sky isn't falling... yet and we don't need to fly any banners, but Mario just squandered a lot of goodwill. Current forecast: lots of rain but no Hurricane in sight.

Advertisement
I realize the sky is falling on this message board, and I'm pretty disappointed like the rest of you. But I'm also a bit more zen about all of this. Mario and staff just got punched in the mouth for 2 straight weeks with the latest loss being particularly inexcusable. Now is their chance to show how they handle adversity and grow - or fold under the pressure. This wasn't going to be a national championship season and we had to expect some growing pains in the transition from Manny's team/scheme to Mario's; I'm all for allowing coaches to make mistakes early in their tenure and learn. With that said, old school Canes teams would never have been this unprepared for an opponent, especially one they were universally expected to beat, so this current staff is far from meeting the bar that has been set previously.

- In my opinion, the defining play was getting stopped on the goal line to start the 4th Q and then MTSU scoring on that 98 yard pass. I know we got those points right back with the Keyshawn Smith kickoff return, but that changed the entire momentum of the game. Garcia had been on a roll with the O to that point and had MTSU backpedaling. We also were about to close the lead to 7 points. MTSU stopping the offense and then scoring immediately was a double whammy. It showed them that they could stop Miami on D and also showed MTSU's O they could push our defense around. After that sequence, there was ZERO fear of Miami on either side of the ball.

Other thoughts:
- Garcia may be the right choice at QB for this team. I still like TVD, but it was clear the offense is better with Garcia (off a limited sample size) and he has better chemistry with the WRs. Pretty sure TVD isn't going pro after this season anymore, so the loser of this battle probably transfers.
- This team just felt soft, which is actually surprising to me - especially given that my one takeaway from the TAMU game was that the guys played hard and didn't fold. I'll still give the team time to figure it out, but I didn't expect so many players to look like JAGs given how many were elite recruits. No one stepped up to be a difference-maker or make a huge play unlike the old Canes teams where Kevin Patrick, Rusty Medearis, Dan Morgan, PBuch, Santana Moss, Andre Johnson, Edgerrin, Sapp, Reed, STaylor, Winslow, etc. (the list is endless) would have put the team on his back in some way. Sadly that just means we don't have any of those types of players at the moment.
- Still can't believe the defense could hold TAMU to 17 points and then turn around and give up 45 to MTSU. TVD did them no favors, but they got pushed around and it wasn't even close. I put the loss more on the defense because they gave up so many big plays and couldn't get MTSU off the field when it mattered.

Mario has 2 weeks of soul searching to tear this all down and build it back up. Season isn't lost as it was a growth season to begin with, but the staff and team have to show some fight from here on or else this board's meltdown will be justified. The sky isn't falling... yet and we don't need to fly any banners, but Mario just squandered a lot of goodwill. Current forecast: lots of rain but no Hurricane in sight.
Season is now a total failure.

Will be a brutal test of Mario's recruiting prowess for the 2023 class to not fall apart.

Miami is Nebraska bad with no near term solutions.

Other thoughts:

The sky isn’t falling but we need to save the recruiting class. If we can’t, well…

The defining play of the game was the 71-yard TD pass to put MTSU up 17-3. The first 10 points were off TVD’s two interceptions. One could call those flukes. Miami countered with a FG drive, getting into a groove, maybe.​
MTSU scores two plays later.​
Done.​

Advertisement
Toughness? This a very soft team.
We that soft serve.

apply soft serve GIF

He has four games worth of game footage and is now feeling the external heat from south Florida. Plainly stated, there are guys on this roster who should never, ever see a snap at the U again. Coach Cristobal said "The truth" in his post-game presser when asked what he goes back to tell the team after this loss. Well, the cold-hard truth is that at least a quarter of our roster is not good enough, not talented enough, or doesn't have the heart and passion for this game enough to play here. I would add that they should be encouraged to transfer portal out in light of this fact instead of delicately being lame and letting them hang around and left to rot on the bench and poison the culture he's working on. Purge and let the guys who are underdeveloped, untested, and bought in on this cultural shift to stay and make 1st team.

The season is only lost in so much as we waste this time not developing our current underclassmen. I wouldn't waste another down on these dudes that hang around this program, clout chasing, not performing and hoping to just weasel their way into the NFL. Playing time is earned and it is time to throw the fresh meat in and let them eat. The coastal champ be damned. Scrap it and make this a year of reps. Get better at consistently producing despite the weather, despite the injuries. Then make goals of being champs at something. Lot of upside to tapping into the bench and getting prepped for the 2023.

Defining for countless reasons—starting with the play call as Mallory was short of the goal line and even if he caught it, he was arguably going down before getting in—and then the ballsy call by MTU coaches to go for the jugular on the first play from scrimmage, attacking a notoriously lazy DJ Ivey and burning his *** for a 14-point swing right there.

Miami coaches making the wrong calls, Middle Tennessee coaches making the right ones—attacking Miami deep often and getting after it, while the Canes rolled in admittedly lethargic and "expecting" to win, even after coaches had a foot up their *** all week after the aTm loss.

This is 15 years of bad muscle memory again rearing its ugly head. This is expecting to beat FIU and losing. This getting rolled by Bama or Clemson but still celebrating with a stupid chain and rings when scoring or getting a stop.

When some fans talk about the broken culture, this is precisely it. Miami is fundamentally bad and has been for years, yet too many expected to just add Mario and have it all fixed with the flip of a switch.

middle tenn kicked these guys right in their p*ssy

it's a **** soft team

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back