Defensive gameplan against FSU

Do not, I repeat, do not let Dalvin Cook demolish us again. The gameplan needs to be do whatever it takes to limit this guy and make Francois beat us. This really isn't earth shattering strategy, so I'm sure the coaches are going to be focused on stopping the fsu run game and I'm confident that we can limit him this year. However, what scares me most is Cook in the passing game. Here is what he's done this year receiving:

Ole Miss 7-101
Louisville 1-8
USF 4-62
UNC 6-106

Cook can do major damage when he gets the ball out of the backfield in space. I don't know what Louisville did to limit him to one reception, but we need to do that. It's too bad we don't have Grace around with his speed to shadow Cook wherever he goes. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have Jaquan fill that role. He's a smart player and good tackler. Giving this responsibility to the freshmen lbs is worrisome. We've already seen those guys lose track of tight ends and rbs coming out of the backfield a number of times.

Francois can play--dude can spin it. We'll play Cook better because we're a better tackling team. It's the combo of Cook and Francois that's problematic. It's pick your poison and Francois can beat you with his arm. They'll be locked in because this is the biggest game of their season, they've got 2 losses already, we're ranked #10 , and we're Miami. This may not be the toughest to defend but it'll be the toughest to play. All these kids know each other and I don't care what FSU has done all year, they'll play their best against us Saturday night. Strangely enough GT was good prep for FSU.

Cook is cyanide, Francine is one too many wine coolers.

Advertisement
I just hope that we can come out aggressive on their opening drive and shut them down. When's the last time you saw a Miami defense come out and force turnovers. If we want to blow ourselves some more about the natty discussion, our defense needs to start playing as an offensive arm (Saturday's fumble recoveries don't really count).

Last edited:
We gotta account for Wilson and izzo also. Jumbo will try to get them done cheap yards in the middle of the field.

Exactly. We'll have to account for all possibilities. After all, they will gameplan after watching our all tendencies defensively/offensively. Hopefully, CMR & Crew go to Chapter 2 of the playbook.

I know it's a huge rivalry & all but there is no possible way they match our fire. Their season is OVER.

Advertisement
I just hope that we can come out aggressive on their opening drive and shut them down. When's the last time you saw a Miami defense come out and force turnovers. If we want to blow ourselves some more about the natty discussion, our defense needs to start playing as an offensive arm (Saturday's fumble recoveries don't really count).

I'm completely confused, how does the defense scoring 2 TDs not count?

I love our DL matching up against their OL, I think that is where we win this game.

Those weren't forced fumbles.

LMFAO. Kill yourself.

Advertisement

Well they still had to be recovered and returned to the end zone.

Trent ******* ToolBoxed® GTs QB on the first one knocking the ball and probably a tooth or two out. On the second one the qb ****ed himself and dropped the ball rather then get hammered again. So again, how do you figure they don't count? when the ball slips from francines hand on Saturday, our guys should probably just hand it back to him...who wants a fumble recovery that wasn't forced.

Last edited:
We need a lot of sacks. At least we need to pressure Frenchman and cause him to make bad throws even if we can't actually sack him.

Last edited:
Dalvin will probably require surgery at the end of the year because of his bad shoulder, I say we do him a favor and rip that ***** off.

Advertisement

Trent ****ing ToolBoxed® GTs QB on the first one knocking the ball and probably a tooth or two out. On the second one the qb ****ed himself and dropped the ball rather then get hammered again. So again, how do you figure they don't count? when the ball slips from francines hand on Saturday, our guys should probably just hand it back to him...who wants a fumble recovery that wasn't forced.

Kryptonite, I appreciate your vigor for the Canes, really I do, but I'm trying to put it in perspective as a top 10 team. Our defense is looking better than it has in years. Those defensive TDs easily won us the game and we did a great job capitalizing on the opportunities. However, the 3 GTech turnovers account for half of what we've had all season.

I'm not saying we don't have it, I am saying we aren't there yet.
We only have 5 picks and 2 fumble recoveries over 4 games.
2016 FBS (I-A) College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Defense - ESPN

TAKING ADVANTAGE of opportunities vs. CREATING opportunities: If we want to say that we warrant the right to be mentioned in the national championship discussion, let alone ACC championship discussion, our defense needs to be creating turnover opportunities (e.g., 3-4 forced fumbles & picks) vs. taking advantage of the other team's mental errors e.g. an awful QB with no situational awareness that can't tuck the ball. If there is a loose ball and you are a playoff caliber team, it is a given that the defense should be able to recover it. A playoff caliber team also sets the tone early with an high school offense trying to be that aggressive -- that first turnover didn't come until 1/3 of the way into the game, after we had let GTech score on the second drive.

Georgia Tech outgained us by total yardage 360 yds - 350 yds.
Clemson? They contained GT and outgained them 3.5:1 by 442 total yards to GTech's 124 yards.

To be a team worthy of national championship talk, if we can't make their offense play so conservative that they hit 4th down right away each possession and have to (e.g., Clemson), we should be forcing 4-5 turnovers a game against a team predictable as Georgia Tech.

You force the turnovers against an offense like FSU early on and it swings the momentum of the game fast.

Turnovers YTD
FAMU: 2 INT
FAU: 1 INT
APP ST: 1 INT
GTECH: 1 INT, 2 FUM REC

Last edited:

This might be as dumb a statement as I've read in quite some time. Both scores were outstanding defensive plays. Quarterman's scoop and score was set up by a blind side hit on Thomas. The second scoop and score was another outstanding play by Jackson which destroyed the option pitch by Thomas.

Advertisement
Hahahahaha what in the **** are you talking about?

Saturday's recoveries don't count? LOL

Why? Trent Harris didn't hit Thomas hard enough when he forced the fumble?

Saturday's recoveries don't count? LOL

Why? Trent Harris didn't hit Thomas hard enough when he forced the fumble?

No, not really and it happened 20 minutes into the game after they had scored on their second drive. That's just poor awareness by their QB who should've known to tuck it. That is not stripping the ball. You guys are all trying to troll that one little sentence and overlooking the fact that we have had only 5 PICKS and 2 fumble recoveries against awful teams.
FAMU 0-5
FAU 1-4
APP St 3-2
GTech 3-2

Advertisement
Back