Defensive Back play vs A&M

Great video cut up by Canefilms (follow him @CaneFilms on twitter if you don't already), showing a lot of the DB highlights from the game last week.

I thought the DB play was MUCH improved to what we saw last year, and was a big factor in us winning the game.

Weigman did throw for 336 yards, but he threw the ball 53 times to get there, which is an average of 6.3 yards per attempt. For context, 6.3 YPA for a season would have ranked 93rd in the country last season, for all qualified passers. The Virginia Tech QB, Grant Wells, who I believe might be a quadriplegic, threw for 6.3 YPA last year.

So it's a lot of yards, but it came on a TON of volume, as they got behind in the game, and ran WAY more plays than we did due to us returning a kick for a TD that took an offensive possession, and our extreme efficiency on offense. A&M ran 82 plays, Miami only ran 54.

So it was a GREAT job by the defense and the DBs, holding up in pass coverage against a truly elite collection of talent. Here is what A&M trots out there as pass catchers:

Evan Stewart -- #11 overall recruit in the country and #2 WR in the 2022 class
Noah Thomas -- 6'5 and 4-star recruit in 2022, #302 overall in the country
Ainias Smith -- 5th year player with over 1600 career receiving yards and 17 TDs
Jahdae Walker -- 6'4 JuCo kid
Moose Muhammad -- Son of NFL player Mushin Muhammad, who was a Pro Bowl WR for years. 6'4 and can really run, Top 160 player in the country in 2020
Jake Johnson -- The #1 TE in the country in the class of 2022, #95 overall player

And we held those dudes to 6.3 yards per throw. Also, the tackling was EXCELLENT. I don't remember their receivers breaking many tackles at all, and when our DBs hit them, they went backwards. Also Porter and Couch blitzing were highly efficient, and we all have talked about how awesome Jaden Davis was.

Hats off to Addae for that performance last week, I don't remember a single game last year where I was even close to as impressed with the overall play of the DBs as much as I was Saturday. Check out the clip below.

Advertisement
Great video cut up by Canefilms (follow him @CaneFilms on twitter if you don't already), showing a lot of the DB highlights from the game last week.

I thought the DB play was MUCH improved to what we saw last year, and was a big factor in us winning the game.

Weigman did throw for 336 yards, but he threw the ball 53 times to get there, which is an average of 6.3 yards per attempt. For context, 6.3 YPA for a season would have ranked 93rd in the country last season, for all qualified passers. The Virginia Tech QB, Grant Wells, who I believe might be a quadriplegic, threw for 6.3 YPA last year.

So it's a lot of yards, but it came on a TON of volume, as they got behind in the game, and ran WAY more plays than we did due to us returning a kick for a TD that took an offensive possession, and our extreme efficiency on offense. A&M ran 82 plays, Miami only ran 54.

So it was a GREAT job by the defense and the DBs, holding up in pass coverage against a truly elite collection of talent. Here is what A&M trots out there as pass catchers:

Ainias Smith -- 5th year player with over 1600 career receiving yards and 17 TDs
Moose Muhammad -- Son of NFL player Mushin Muhammad, who was a Pro Bowl WR for years. 6'4 and can really run, Top 160 player in the country in 2020
Jake Johnson -- The #1 TE in the country in the class of 2022, #95 overall player

And we held those dudes to 6.3 yards per throw. Also, the tackling was EXCELLENT. I don't remember their receivers breaking many tackles at all, and when our DBs hit them, they went backwards. Also Porter and Couch blitzing were highly efficient, and we all have talked about how awesome Jaden Davis was.

Hats off to Addae for that performance last week, I don't remember a single game last year where I was even close to as impressed with the overall play of the DBs as much as I was Saturday. Check out the clip below.

Favorite part of the video is listening to fat Manny sound as stupid as he is

What's crazy is our two cbs from last year are in the NFL.. and so far this year we look waaaaaay better.

What's crazy is our two cbs from last year are in the NFL.. and so far this year we look waaaaaay better.
When you factor in the difference in the amount of pressure our front seven is now bringing coupled with the CB blitzes it makes senses. Defensive lineman and DBs have a synergistic relationship. One definitely affects the other. Great pressure is going to make DBs look good… they don’t have to cover as long. Creates quicker throws!

Advertisement
Props to Guidry. Is the overall talent better than last year? Maybe top to bottom but not the frontline. They’re just all on the same page as a group and are being coached better in a scheme that fits skill sets.

Last edited:
Props to Guidry. Is the overall talent better than last year? Maybe to bottom but not the frontline. They’re just all on the same page as a group and are being coached better in a scheme that fits skill sets.

It's exactly what I said all off-season when everyone was concerned about us just being steamrolled in the run game. There are ways to mitigate lack of size. And it's not like we're small...we just don't have a Jordan Davis, but how many teams do?

But Guidry consistently stopped the run with smaller defensive fronts at Marshall, and his stats and underlying metrics both solidified that point. There are ways to stop the run other than having 330lb defensive tackles playing in the A-Gaps......and a lot of it comes down to how hard are you willing to play? Through 2 games, the kids are in the right spots, the players we do have are getting push against bigger bodies (hello technique...Joe and JT aren't slouches), and most importantly, they are all playing at hyper speed but under control and TACKLING WELL (ding, ding, ding).

I've said it 50 times all summer, yes, I would love to have Darrell Jackson here, or someone like that. The Bama kid should be a nice replacement for that next year. But it's not like we're going to be a sieve in the running game simply because we don't have Vince Wilfork up there. I don't expect this to be the best run stopping group in the country, but it should be PLENTY good enough to give us a chance to win every game we play. You're not going to see 2020 UNC this year.

Through 2 games, we have faced 41 running back carries (I took out any QB runs and sacks) and allowed 127 yards.

That's 3.10 yards per carry to running backs. That is ELITE.

Last edited:
When you pressure the QB it makes your DBs better. The pressure is brutal. Need to keep this line healthy.

Advertisement
Let’s just go ahead and say it at this point.

Outside of the special team miscues, and their QB who is legitimately very good, this looked like we were playing a JV team.
Very poorly coached team but we knew that.

It's exactly what I said all off-season when everyone was concerned about us just being steamrolled in the run game. There are ways to mitigate lack of size. And it's not like we're small...we just don't have a Jordan Davis, but how many teams do?

But Guidry consistently stopped the run with smaller defensive fronts at Marshall, and his stats and underlying metrics both solidified that point. There are ways to stop the run other than having 330lb defensive tackles playing in the A-Gaps......and a lot of it comes down to how hard are you willing to play? Through 2 games, the kids are in the right spots, the players we do have are getting push against bigger bodies (hello technique...Joe and JT aren't slouches), and most importantly, they are all playing at hyper speed but under control and TACKLING WELL (ding, ding, ding).

I've said it 50 times all summer, yes, I would love to have Darrell Jackson here, or someone like that. The Bama kid should be a nice replacement for that next year. But it's not like we're going to be a sieve in the running game simply because we don't have Vince Wilfork up there. I don't expect this to be the best run stopping group in the country, but it should be PLENTY good enough to give us a chance to win every game we play. You're not going to see 2020 UNC this year.

Through 2 games, we have faced 41 running back carries (I took out any QB runs and sacks) and allowed 127 yards.

That's 3.10 yards per carry to running backs. That is ELITE.

……and 90% of the board tried to tell us we didn’t have adequate size on the DL to stop the run.

Don't know if including those PI's were needed. Davis and Porter have been 10x better than what I expected so far. Hopefully since we dont face much speed on perimeter they can hold up all season.

Don't know if including those PI's were needed. Davis and Porter have been 10x better than what I expected so far. Hopefully since we dont face much speed on perimeter they can hold up all season.
I didn't think Porter was all that bad last year. I think he should have got more PT with how bad the entire team.

Advertisement
The DBs def made timely plays and seem much improved from last year.

However, they still had their share of miscues that A&M didn’t capitalize on. Evan Stewart bailed us out on one of their redzone passes. Think we failed to properly pass guys off

The middle of the field also was open frequently. Even on Kam’s INT, if the receiver doesn’t slip, that’s a first down.

I’m sure I’m missing other plays as well.

I’m sure they will get those things corrected

I didn't think Porter was all that bad last year. I think he should have got more PT with how bad the entire team.
He wasn't bad as far as being in right spot but his technique with ball in the air was atrocious. I also think he got beat deep a couple times and may lack foot speed but this year his fundamentals have been next level.

Advertisement
A few of the plays in the highlights are plays with PI. On the whole I think they played well. What stood out to me was the tackling. Generally we played 10yds off the ball and brought pressure. On all the 3rd and longs we were 10 yds off the ball and dropped 7-8. We also gave up many 3rd and longs.

I don't think we have the DBs to stick up in coverage like the old days. What I like is that Guidry is calling a defense that allows what we have to be successful.

The improvement is startling. Solid tackling, solo even, getting their heads turned around…. It’s night and day.

Advertisement
Back