Defenses across the country

swampcougar1

sophomore
Defense as we once new it seems to be a thing of the past. WHY? I have a couple of reasons why. Been wrong before but just my thoughts
1 Rule changes over the years seem to disproportionly favor offense
2 More and more the top athletes do not want to play defense. Once upon time a good number of top athletes loved playing defense.
3 A lot of teams used prioritize defense when building a team. Now seems to be the offense first.
4 Offensive schemes much more imagination in modern game

Just think because of the above we will never again see the defenses we used to see

Last edited:
Advertisement
Defense as we once new it seems to be a thing of the past. WHY? I have a couple of reasons why. Been wrong before but just my thoughts
1 Rule changes over the years seem to disproportionly favor offense
2 More and more the top athletes do not want to play defense. Once upon a good number of top athletes loved playing defense.
3 A lot of teams used prioritize defense when building a team. Now seems to be the offense first.
4 Offensive schemes much more imagination in modern game

Just think because of the above we will never again see the defenses we used to see
No extreme is good. Less Defense will hurt the sport in the long run. Can’t turn this into flag football. I also don’t think we need to go back to 60’s and 70’s football where it is difficult to score. It’s important to find a good balance of rules that is fair to both sides.

Even if u tackle someone hard you can be flagged for review.. you have to tackle a certain way and it makes everyone a *****..

Plus less practice, no two a days, less tackling in practice, less live scrimmages and now everyone runs spread so 7 on 7 is easier to practice for..

Advertisement
Offensive coaching has gotten more innovative, and the nature of the game is that there are more options for you on offense then defense.

New Rules are mostly in favor of the offense every single year.
No defense can play real old school defense and intimidate teams in fear that they will get flagged and/or ejected.

It is one of those things that just will keep on getting worse as the years go by.

I’ll just go with rule changes. Taylor Mays type safeties can’t come murder your *** across the middle on slants or the post anymore.

That and when you are rushing the QB, if it's going to be close on you getting there, you better get there or you're getting flagged. QB's rarely get drilled anymore.

Advertisement
Targeting calls have sissyfied the defensive side of the ball...I cannot think of any time targeting has been called against an offense yet on replays both seem to often lower their heads. Also when called and reversed they still march off 15 yards.

I think it’s mostly the offensive scheme. Tempo, spread, etc. all very tough to stop completely. Teams will always be able to score.

Advertisement
RPO’s are so difficult. The linemen are run blocking and the LB’s if they fill the QB can pull and throw a slant to where they were.

Also the way teams spread you out horizontally opens gaps.

I agree that the tackling (rugby style) hasn’t looked good for the defenders.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back