Defense vs.Duke vs. Defense vs. GT

NotoriousJJE

Sophomore
I think that we can all agree that the Defense we saw against Duke was a marked improvement over the Defenise we had seen previous to that game. We were all excited because it seemed to be more aggressive, they seemed to make some adjustments, and we looked a little more like a Hurricanes squad.

What happened in that week leading to GT? And at GT?

What defense do we see moving forward?

Discuss

Advertisement
Same **** will happen this week, we will beat up on a ****** Cincy team and the slurpers will be back on Golden's ******* and then we head to VT where we will make their incredibly average team look like world beaters.

Discuss

We tried to get tricky and fancy at the last minute with the contract negotiations and pull the rug out from his ***.

I can't blame Butch for leaving. We'd be lucky as **** to get him back.

That's what tha fvck happened to Miami. Last week. Last year. For the last decade.

golden's pride was hurt. didn't like that there were actual results from tweaking his defense like the majority around the program were saying to do. basically made him look like he's been clueless for the past 8 years

"Everyone" was excited after Duke? Speak for yourself bro.

Also the best way to defend the option is to play the 4-3 over, which is a front we don't play. But people need to stop getting carried away by beating freaking Duke and their horrible center-QB exchange.

Advertisement
Same defense different opponent. Easy to look good against teams like FAMU, Ark State and Duke, who have no athletes and ****** QBs.

I'd expect the defensive looks to go back to the way it looked vs Duke for the rest of the season. Odd fronts and nickel packages. No other crazy offensive schemes like GT the rest of the way.

Golden plays aggressive against teams he knows he can beat and backs away like a ***** against teams he believes he can't beat. Its why we looked good against Duke, or against FAMU or Arkansas St. Teams like Nebraska or UL he is petrified of and reverts right back to his ***gy prevent defense

Besides the 4th quarter, when else did we play aggressive during the Duke game?

We played scared until the coaches felt comfortable with the win and then we started blitzing. Same defense, Duke just really sucked.

Advertisement
What if duke beats gt this week? I just think the tards on the coaching staff said lets do the same thing we beat them with before even though we never beat them convincingly....I think we can beat anybody coming up if they play the duke style of defense including fsu but if they play that soft **** were not beating no one

Besides the 4th quarter, when else did we play aggressive during the Duke game?

We played scared until the coaches felt comfortable with the win and then we started blitzing. Same defense, Duke just really sucked.

We blitzed 15 of 32 plays in the first half, but sure.

It's simple. The abandoned the dumbass Golden approach against Duke, it worked, so Golden's ******* pride got in the way, and they had to go back to the **** they've been doing for 4 years and it didn't work again.

Or we played a completely different defense that required a different game plan. But don't let me get in the way of the narrative.

Advertisement
Al Golden is not built for cuban linx.

The day we measure our program against the likes of Duke is the day we should shut this **** down.

To paraphrase carlito, who the **** is Al Golden, that I should remember him, huh? What, Al think he's like Jimmie? He ain’t like Jimmie, ************. Al's a punk. Jimmie been with made people, connected people. Who Al been with? Chain-snatchin’, jive-***, maricon mother****ers. Why don’t Al get lost? Go ahead, play prevent on fourth and goal. Take a ******’ walk.

For whatever reason, it appears to me that the most important thing that the defense can accomplish is not give up the big play. Against Duke, we had lots of time to adjust (learn from our mistakes against Louiseville and Nebraska) to the SPREAD option. We were also playing against a very much inferior opponent. So the coaches probably felt more comfortable applying more preassure because the caliber of athlete was not as scary as our previous opponents. I do think that it is a different defense against the TRIPLE option of GT. However, the main goal of the defense still applies, "DON'T GIVE UP THE BIG PLAY". Al pretty much admitted it when he talked about what failed during his post game presser. He talked about how this offense kills you on the outside with big plays and that we gave up a couple. To me, this is the biggest problem. He does not see or acknowledge (at least publicly) that a team who can get 4 to 5 yards (By Design of the defense, as stated by Al in the press conference) with a full back dive is already winning. The team will control the game and will dominate the clock. It will force our offense to have to be perfect and tire out our defense. With this strategy, he is playing right into the hands of GT. It is this mentality of "don't give up the big play" that will kill us. A defense that relies on others to make mistakes without forcing those mistakes is doomed to fail against any competent competition. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to apply more pressure, penetrate gaps and disrupt their offense, which is very much dependent on timing. Sure, we may give up a big play or two, but guess what. We would get the ball back, have the opportunity to rest our defense, adjust to the play that was made and get it right the next possession.

So with all that said, I don't know much about Cincinnatti's offense, but my guess is if we can play in our base package, that we will likely see a more aggressive defense this week. If we don't, I think we loose the players and don't make a bowl game.

Cincy's all world QB, Gunner Kiel (transfer from Notre Dame) who has completed 61% of his passes for 1257 yards with 15 TD and 3 INT is injured, so our pathetic D might look ok.

Advertisement
GT was meaningless in terms of scheme regardless of outcome. We kind of knew that we were going to play gt that way. I posted that before the game. They didnt have a ton of time and they played them that way last year so that was what it was going to be. If it worked, it didnt mean we'd be good going forward.

From now, I suspect you'll see us start the next game more like Duke. The question is whether Cincy can create a big play and stay ahead of the chains. If so, they won't look as aggressive. Duke was never a fundamental change to me. It was just a variant of the norm that gained steam due to their ineptitude.

This is the difference:

Duke is a "pass to set up the run" team, so naturally we crowded the box, pressured the QB and forced the issue.

GT and Nebraska are "run first, second and third" teams, so naturally we schemed to take away the deep ball.

Figure that the **** out and you win a cookie. Just thinking about it makes me want to punch a window.

I think that we can all agree that the Defense we saw against Duke was a marked improvement over the Defenise we had seen previous to that game. We were all excited because it seemed to be more aggressive, they seemed to make some adjustments, and we looked a little more like a Hurricanes squad.

What defense do we see moving forward?

Discuss

2 completely different offensive styles. You can't compare them. From here on out we play traditional type offenses. Hopefully we see more of what we did against Duke but I'm not holding my breath!

What if duke beats gt this week?

Certainly possible. It won't mean much of anything. Duke was rated higher in preseason. Georgia Tech is headed in our direction this time last year, to a record they don't deserve. When the crash comes, it will be ugly and ongoing.

Duke had a lousy scheme in our game. I have no idea why everybody assumes only Canes coaches make mistakes and everybody else is perfect. Watching from the stands I can't remember any team in recent years that challenged us less than they did, failing to take advantage of any weakness. They started the game with forced line drives into the ground. Followed by a series of comically low percentage deep lobs down the sideline. As soon as those plays unfolded you could see they had maybe 1 foot margin for error. Early in the game they had a guy open down the right sideline on that play and missed him. Apparently that frustrated them to such extent they went back to it again and again. The Canes were allowed to get off the field without doing much at all.

I talked to two Duke fans down the ramp leaving the stadium. Neither one was crushed or particularly surprised. Both said they had bad feelings coming into the game because the team was generally lackluster in the first four games against pathetic opposition, and it often looked like the offense was scoring more points than it deserved. As I've emphasized countless times, even the garbage calls work against those terrible opponents, which is why you can't put any stock in the trends or results.

I watched the Georgia Tech game twice the past two nights. Our outside linebackers were worse than I realized during the game itself. Raphael Kirby was baffled and ineffective. He was gesturing early in the game, blaming others. Meanwhile, he was either frozen in his tracks or taking the wrong angle. They were getting to the perimeter undisturbed largely because our outside backers had terrible instincts. I would have tried Jermaine Grace in greater dosage. He had one nice aggressive play, just like Kamalu flashed once against Nebraska, earning higher playing time going forward. Kirby didn't commit to anything all night until the crucial 4th and 3 play in the red zone, early fourth quarter. He raced forward and attacked the B back. Nice tackle. He took him fully to the ground. Minor problem in that Justin Thomas kept the ball. Once Kirby vacated the right flank we were stuck with nothing but Deon Bush out there, and Tracy Howard backpedalling into the end zone. Easy touchdown.

McCord is too small to be playing down. That's another theme that shows up every game against a running team. His strengths are nullified. He'll fit better against a finesse team like Cincinnati, with all the passing.

Advertisement
Back