Defense on our ball screens

SevenNSeven

Junior
Was wondering if someone with some more basketball knowledge than I can correlate the struggles of this team offensively to the way we're being guarded on the perimeter.

Seems to me our lack of size and athleticism at guard is killing us, in conjunction with defenses increasingly using the 'hedge and recover' method to defend us (In all honesty, the way opposing teams bigs can go out and initiate contact on our guards during screens to throw them off route, without it being called a foul, consistently ****es me off).

I've been a coach-L homer pretty consistently during his tenure here, but the lack of adaptation has me puzzled. I realize that he might be trying to make chicken salad from the chicken**** of our inconsistent guard play, but I feel that having the athleticism of Newton or Burnett at the 2 might help us out when teams try and beat the **** out of us on ball screens.

Advertisement
Our half court offense Is one of the worst I have ever watched. Unless we get transition buckets or the 3 ball is falling our offense is putrid

For one thing, we set awful screens, which doesn't help, and we set them way to high, (often in desperation way out on the perimeter)and the screener's are bad at pivoting and rolling.

Newton is a 1, not a 2.
I assume L has a plan but i agree the last 2 months have been very frustrating on both ends of the court. I just don't see the all around effort I would expect from a team trying to make the tournament.

For one thing, we set awful screens, which doesn't help, and we set them way to high, (often in desperation way out on the perimeter)and the screener's are bad at pivoting and rolling.
This.

Lots of our screens are just ghost screens. We don't body-up on any of them for fear of an offensive foul. We also don't have very athletic post players, so they can't slip and roll to the bucket or 3pt line like, say, Gamble or Kadji used to.

This team is best when they're patient as a unit running the offense, and sharing the ball, BUT--all 5 players being aggressive and attacking. That's a balance they have to get back to. What they have to realize is that they just can't stand there and receive the ball on a spot and look for the next pass...they have to be a threat to score as soon as it hits their hands, and then score or distribute within the offensive set. A perfect example of this was the Syracuse game.

Advertisement
This.

Lots of our screens are just ghost screens. We don't body-up on any of them for fear of an offensive foul. We also don't have very athletic post players, so they can't slip and roll to the bucket or 3pt line like, say, Gamble or Kadji used to.

This team is best when they're patient as a unit running the offense, and sharing the ball, BUT--all 5 players being aggressive and attacking. That's a balance they have to get back to. What they have to realize is that they just can't stand there and receive the ball on a spot and look for the next pass...they have to be a threat to score as soon as it hits their hands, and then score or distribute within the offensive set. A perfect example of this was the Syracuse game.

I don't buy the we don't set screens because we are afraid of offensive fouls... I do agree that when Tonye sets a screen up top that he is extremely slow rolling to the bucket and he does a poor job of opening up. Tonye is also not skilled enough to put it on the floor so the screens IMO are a waste when they are 5 - 7 ft out past the 3pt arc if our guards aren't going to attack the hedger. Angel looks overweight and slow. Running a Pick and Roll with those 2 is pretty ugly. Why not run pick and pops with Mclellan then? Our offense is pretty stagnant and we are definitely a transition basketball team. The way this team will win is with great guard play, transition, and the 3 ball.

This.

Ding Ding Ding. Unfortunately, we just don't have that same level of talent on this current roster. The hope is that Uceda can develop into a threat, but so far, returns don't look promising.

This.

I don't buy the we don't set screens because we are afraid of offensive fouls... I do agree that when Tonye sets a screen up top that he is extremely slow rolling to the bucket and he does a poor job of opening up. Tonye is also not skilled enough to put it on the floor so the screens IMO are a waste when they are 5 - 7 ft out past the 3pt arc if our guards aren't going to attack the hedger. Angel looks overweight and slow. Running a Pick and Roll with those 2 is pretty ugly. Why not run pick and pops with Mclellan then? Our offense is pretty stagnant and we are definitely a transition basketball team. The way this team will win is with great guard play, transition, and the 3 ball.
The only reasons for not executing a ball screen with a physical nature are either because you're lazy/afraid of contact, or you're afraid of drawing the offensive foul. I've seen more moving screens called this year than in previous ones, and I'd say that's on the players' minds as well. However--it shouldn't be. You should be knocking a G silly when you're a 7-footer setting a ball screen.

And especially in the first half, one thing I saw was not only are we sucky when it comes to the big men setting the screens not being physical, we're sucky as guards setting up our defender off the dribble to send your man into the screener. THAT'S why we end up with so many double-teams up top. The defenders just time up the screen and trap the basketball. Then, we normally panic and make a bad pass or turn the ball over.

Now, one great thing last night was Jekiri seeing the aggressive doubles up top, and him slipping to the basket WIDE OPEN which led to a few easy dunks early on. That was pleasant to see.

Credit where credit's due--Angel played a good ballgame last night. He was more aggressive, and he finally got some shots to start falling for him. He was active and tough on D more last night as well. Jekiri played a really good all around game--but I would like to see him take the ball in the post more often. Make those double-teams come to him, then pass out to the open shooter. He has to get better at that part of his game. McClellan was in attack mode all night last night, and didn't disappear. He was a factor all game long...when he does that, he's dangerous. Lecomte and Palmer were consistent as well.

Advertisement
Back