Defense - Good and Bad

CaniacMike21

Senior
Good

- Defensive line and front 7 in general looked much improved. Our DL actually got some pressure on the QB and held the line pretty well all night.
- Some of the blitzes and stack packages that were called were excellent and led to a couple of our turnovers.

Bad

- Way too much space given on our zone coverage in the passing game. Our players were put in a position to fail all game long. Even the announcers were commenting on it(Jesse Palmer). I was hoping this would change this year but it looks like the same old.
- Only rushing 3. This never works. Ever. It's basically just an invitation for the QB to complete a pass without any pressure.

Add yours to the list...

Advertisement
Hertelou looks to a be a player. Very happy to see him come back after what looked like an game ending injury. Jenkins looked promising when he replaced him.

McCord is now a legit 3 down player.

#91 Pierre was actually penetrating the whole night... Glad to see that.. However, WE SUCK BRA!!! Dam it,,, im hurt dawg!!

Defense actually didn't let me down. Gave us PLENTY of opportunity to take over on offense, but we know how that went. The pressure was a lot better, and so was rush D. Tyriq is a monster. If the D can hold up like that and/or do better no reason why we shouldn't win games...unless coley ***** the bed again. The bad...too soft of a zone, especially when our corners are good enough to leave their guys on an island. We can rush more too.

Defense is gonna look solid against FAMU and Ark. St. People on here will get excited (just like they they think last night was a good defensive outing) and Nebraksa is going to expose the defense yet again.

Advertisement
Two turnovers inside the 10 and we get 3 points. Two sacks to end the second half. The defense played well last night.

Jenkins was actually attacking.....loved to see that.

Had most push I've seen out of one of our nose tackles in a while

There is talent there, scheme is still ****, but the talent is there. A good DC would make this D downright scary

Advertisement
We are what we've been but with a little more athleticism and strength.

The fundamental problem is our timid approach to the game. We should have smelled blood when Gardner proved he was very careless with the ball under pressure and tended to tuck it and seize up in the face of pressure. Should have went after him all night and trusted our vaunted back end to hold up against a depleted receiver corps.

The fundamental problem is our timid approach to the game. We should have smelled blood when Gardner proved he was very careless with the ball under pressure and tended to tuck it and seize up in the face of pressure. Should have went after him all night and trusted our vaunted back end to hold up against a depleted receiver corps.

This, we are no longer the Canes. This team is so **** timid on both sides of the ball, 3 man rush, zone coverage, bubble screens, 6 straight runs, **** I'm ****ed. The talent is there, please bring in a coach to unleash the hounds

Exactly. Use their defensive game plan. Make Chauncey Gardner beat us. If he could have beaten us, then God bless him. Instead, we played that bull**** bend but don't break scheme (we were better at it than we have been over the last few years) with the soft zone coverage and he made some plays. We should have been on Gardner the way Louisville was on Kaaya and Duke.

Two turnovers inside the 10 and we get 3 points. Two sacks to end the second half. The defense played well last night.

They weren't great, but they did play well overall. Considering that many were saying L'ville under Petrino would rack up 600 yards against our D, and they only got 336, that's not too bad. Especially given the number of 3 and outs that the offense had, and the bad positions that the offense kept putting the defense in.

Advertisement
- We didn't consistently get gashed on every run for for 5 or 6 yards. We actually we able to stop them for 1 or 2 yards on multiple occasions.
- Our secondary didn't give up a big pass and the majority of UL's catches were in between zones and not directly on our DB's. They are much improved.
- Crawford/Fentress role was massive in the run stop. Didn't see that from Rodgers or Highsmith last year
- Jenkins, Herteleou are significant upgrades and Armbrister played the best game of his career yet. On the flip side, Chickillo is awful.
- We created 2 fumbles for turnovers off of a pash rush. Consistency of it needs to improve

Those are my defensive positives

Jenkins was actually attacking.....loved to see that.

Had most push I've seen out of one of our nose tackles in a while
Huge surprise. He was doubled most of the night. Even when he was tripled teamed he pushed forward. Not bad an unheralded kid.

The best thing we did was make some sort of plays in the backfield. Hurtlelou looked really good even after the knee injury.

But Coley looked bad. Kaaya should not have thrown past 5 yards the whole first quarter. That rollout was beyond stupid on the first drive. And even that ugly reverse on third and goal. Never ran a RB screen all game. I think Coley s play calling was honestly worse than that horrible offensive line.

Advertisement
DL looked about the best it has looked since AG has been here. I was very pleased for most of the night. We got like 4 sacks and forced 2 TOs. Cant ask your DL for much more than that. Big Huert looks like a tank, lots of push even on double teams. Jenkins looked pretty solid for a True Frosh out there. Great penetration by Kamalu and Pierre. Chick was solid.

The question marks again to me are at LB and Safety. I was not particularly impressed with Safety play, especially Dallas. At LB, besides DP, we have issues, and depth is a MAJOR concern. Kirby looks as lost as he did last year, and the year before. Armbrister looked better, but still had blown plays. Beyond that, we are very young and very thin.

Overall I think the D looked solid last night. Obviously too early to tell how its going to last all year, but they played well enough for us to win last night. **** they got TWO Turnovers inside the UL 10 yard line and we got all of 3 points out of it.

D played to win last night, Offense looked like a 5th grade Flag football team.

We have the talent to be a top 25 defense. They did some things really well last night but as many of you are saying, they are 'caged beasts' who are being coached to play a way that does not suit their strengths.

The offense should have scored at least 24 points last night in the first half, ideally 28. That takes their RB out of the game.

Our NTs definitely looked better than they have. We did get some pressure. However, Gardner was 20 for 28, almost 75%, in his first start. He barely had to throw the ball in the 4th quarter. They basically ran out the 4th quarter with the run, even though we knew it was coming. I'm concerned that we all thought the same thing after the UF game last year - gave up some yards, but more physical, caused TOs, etc. We still saw lots of pass plays with no pressure. We still had huge open areas in the intermediate/middle part of our zones. We still couldn't stop the run at the end when we needed to. The offense obviously did the D no favors, but I'm not ready to say the defense has made some great progress yet.

Advertisement
Back