Deepest QB draft in recent history - where does that leave TVD/Miami?

Advertisement
It won't happen but it needs to. They epically ****ed up last year's draft & put their top pick in a ****** situation.
Reich needs to take a leaf out of the Richt playbook and retire at the end of the season.

Fitterer needs to be shot out of a cannon.

Just 2 years ago they were saying how it was going to be 4 or 5 1st round qbs and Pickett ended up being the only one and he is trash

4 games in I dont think TVD is in that group yet. Lucky for him UNC, Clemson, FSU and maybe even Louisville will be primetime opportunities for him to let it hang. If he can show up in those games this list will look different. He won't pass the top 2 (3*imo) but he certainly could move into the top 5. His biggest problem is he has almost a full year of bad tape on film.
Texas A&M was a good start though.

Advertisement
4 games in I dont think TVD is in that group yet. Lucky for him UNC, Clemson, FSU and maybe even Louisville will be primetime opportunities for him to let it hang. If he can show up in those games this list will look different. He won't pass the top 2 (3*imo) but he certainly could move into the top 5. His biggest problem is he has almost a full year of bad tape on film.
I would think the dumbest NFL management would realize they are looking at a year of bad Gattis tape.

I would think the dumbest NFL management would realize they are looking at a year of bad Gattis tape.
Im sure they will, but he still needs this year to prove that. Love or Hate TVD he doesn't have a complete season under his belt.

Advertisement
Listening to Todd McShay this morning on a podcast and he laid out a lot of interesting facts about this years NFL draft, specifically how it is by far the deepest QB draft he can remember in his 20 years covering NCAAF/NFL. Some key points:

- 4-to-4.5 QBs go in the first three rounds on average; thinks it will be higher this year, but any QB outside of the composite "top 10" may end up very late in the draft or go UDFA. There are WAY more QB prospects entering the draft this year and not enough teams to take them all.

- Todd's composite ranking of QBs right now are as follows (these are names he thinks could go in first 3 rounds based on evaluation alone):
1. Caleb Williams (USC)
2. Drake May (UNC)
3. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado) <-- thinks Deon will talk him into staying one more year
4. Quinn Ewers (Texas)
5. Michael Penix (Washington)
6. Riley Leonard (Duke)
7. Bo Nix (Oregon)

- Next level QBs on a lot of NFL teams' boards include Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), Jordan Travis (FSU), Jaydan Daniels (LSU), Sam Hartman (ND) and JJ McCarthy (Michigan).

I know we all think TVD is a top-tier college QB (he is) and is deserving of a high draft position (he should be), but based on where things stand today, he isn't even on anyone's radar in this year's draft evaluation. What are the chances he sticks around one more year? This is a freakish QB draft and unless he blows up on the national stage mid/late season, it may benefit him to wait it out one more year.
I kept saying it... it's a deep draft and a good year from TVD doesn't guarantee a 1st round lock. He should consider a comeback, Miami should give him a big NIL, and we should use that information early to recruit and... I'm thinking of a word that isn't the word tamper... but means the same as tamper...🤔

these scouts are drunk if they think most of those guys on that list have higher upside than tvd at next level. The guy is going to wow everyone in a camp and combine setting… and the tape reflects it. He will shoot up the draft boards sooner than later if he continues playing at a high level like he is right now. The tools are there… much more so than 90% of the above list
Maybe just over half, no where near 90%. There are a lot of extremely gifted arm talents on that list and it doesn't even include DJU. Tyler could absolutely play himself into the discussion, but the NFL has a lot to do with projection.

Advertisement
TVD is in that round 2-4 range. I think he should come back. He’ll have all the same weapons, coordinators, good oline protection. Plus he can go to the senior bowl and I think that’s where he’ll make his money.

Advertisement
especially with CFP expanding to 12 teams next year, TVD coming back would cement us as legitimate title contenders.

think we can make it to the 12 team bracket without him, but I think he should definitely return, especially since he's getting NIL and probably not in need of anything from a financial perspective

Im sure they will, but he still needs this year to prove that. Love or Hate TVD he doesn't have a complete season under his belt.
NFL has this year to look at in any circumstance. For all the money the NFL spends on scouting, combines, interviews, etc they have little ability to draft qbs in the order they actually perform in the league. You'd think they would be better at it.

Most of those names are laughable. Bo Nix? LOL. Quinn Ewers?? He wasnt impressive last year and hes living off what hes doing this year which is what TVD is doing as well. Shadeur Sanders is going back to Colorado. You can bank on that. He would take a paycut leaving to the NFL...Riley Leonad? Meh..

Maye, Caleb, Penix....all other QBs are in the same bucket to me.

That said, lets revisit this after the Oct 14 showdown. Maye vs TVD. If TVD goes shot for shot with him...he will shoot up draft boards. That game will absolutely be on ABC primetime so TVD will have his chance.

Advertisement
Back