Deepest QB draft in recent history - where does that leave TVD/Miami?

Advertisement
Listening to Todd McShay this morning on a podcast and he laid out a lot of interesting facts about this years NFL draft, specifically how it is by far the deepest QB draft he can remember in his 20 years covering NCAAF/NFL. Some key points:

- 4-to-4.5 QBs go in the first three rounds on average; thinks it will be higher this year, but any QB outside of the composite "top 10" may end up very late in the draft or go UDFA. There are WAY more QB prospects entering the draft this year and not enough teams to take them all.

- Todd's composite ranking of QBs right now are as follows (these are names he thinks could go in first 3 rounds based on evaluation alone):
1. Caleb Williams (USC)
2. Drake May (UNC)
3. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado) <-- thinks Deon will talk him into staying one more year
4. Quinn Ewers (Texas)
5. Michael Penix (Washington)
6. Riley Leonard (Duke)
7. Bo Nix (Oregon)

- Next level QBs on a lot of NFL teams' boards include Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), Jordan Travis (FSU), Jaydan Daniels (LSU), Sam Hartman (ND) and JJ McCarthy (Michigan).

I know we all think TVD is a top-tier college QB (he is) and is deserving of a high draft position (he should be), but based on where things stand today, he isn't even on anyone's radar in this year's draft evaluation. What are the chances he sticks around one more year? This is a freakish QB draft and unless he blows up on the national stage mid/late season, it may benefit him to wait it out one more year.
That’s a really DEEP quarterback draft class. Not sure I see many surefire NFL starters in that list, though. More quantity than quality.

Advertisement
Listening to Todd McShay this morning on a podcast and he laid out a lot of interesting facts about this years NFL draft, specifically how it is by far the deepest QB draft he can remember in his 20 years covering NCAAF/NFL. Some key points:

- 4-to-4.5 QBs go in the first three rounds on average; thinks it will be higher this year, but any QB outside of the composite "top 10" may end up very late in the draft or go UDFA. There are WAY more QB prospects entering the draft this year and not enough teams to take them all.

- Todd's composite ranking of QBs right now are as follows (these are names he thinks could go in first 3 rounds based on evaluation alone):
1. Caleb Williams (USC)
2. Drake May (UNC)
3. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado) <-- thinks Deon will talk him into staying one more year
4. Quinn Ewers (Texas)
5. Michael Penix (Washington)
6. Riley Leonard (Duke)
7. Bo Nix (Oregon)

- Next level QBs on a lot of NFL teams' boards include Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), Jordan Travis (FSU), Jaydan Daniels (LSU), Sam Hartman (ND) and JJ McCarthy (Michigan).

I know we all think TVD is a top-tier college QB (he is) and is deserving of a high draft position (he should be), but based on where things stand today, he isn't even on anyone's radar in this year's draft evaluation. What are the chances he sticks around one more year? This is a freakish QB draft and unless he blows up on the national stage mid/late season, it may benefit him to wait it out one more year.
I'm not a scout but I actually don't think that's a very deep list, the narrative has been for a while that this is a deep QB class and narratives tend to be repeated until they completely fall apart. Nix, Sanders and Ewers aren't first rounders for me, although Ewers has the past hype where I can see people's minds being changed rather easily. I'll admit I haven't watched much of Leonard so I'll pass on him, but I'm not sure he's in what I'd consider the top group of Williams, Penix, Maye

Rattler is talented, but I can't see him leading a group of grown men. Maybe it's just the QB1 effect...
Travis may get drafted mid-late and who knows with him, doesn't have ideal size to hold up through an NFL season and that will limit his draft ceiling.
Daniels is meh
Hartman could improve his stock to be a mid-round pick, but as of now he's B/C tier, and I'd put him ahead of McCarthy

With a big season I could see TVD getting a high grade

I see a greater than 50% bust rate with that list.

That being said, I don’t think his draft status changes by waiting. He is who he is and there will be plenty of film on him by year end.
Felger and Mazz, the biggest sports radio show in the country that are based in Boston did a breakdown of first round QBs and 75% of them are busts. You’re more likely to hit on a QB outside of the top ten than inside of the top ten. Crazy!

Advertisement
Giving up on Bryce Young already?
Have you seen him play in the NFL?
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Advertisement

1. Caleb Williams (USC):unsure:
2. Drake May (UNC):unsure:
3. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado) <-- thinks Deon will talk him into staying one more year:fap:
4. Quinn Ewers (Texas):ROFLMAO:
5. Michael Penix (Washington):cautious:
6. Riley Leonard (Duke)(y)
7. Bo Nix (Oregon)(n)

LOL at Bo Nix. He's a poor man's Baker Mayfield without the talent. Hartman will rocket up the boards faster than Ewers.JJ McCarthy is a late rounder but will become a better QB than Caleb I think honestly. Something about Caleb says bust to me on the next level. That leaves TVD. someone will pick him up in rounds 2-4 and he'll do fine.

Advertisement
I don't think it's a deep class at all. We know Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are likely top 5/10 picks. The rest of that group is a question mark in terms of an NFL future. IMO, everyone else--including TVD--will be battling to be the 3rd guy after those two. If TVD has a strong year, he's gonna rocket up boards. You know that NFL GMs are going to be in love with his maturity and makeup. I mean, heck, the guy already looks like a 29 y/o married hedge fund manager.

Selfishly I need as many good QBs to come out as possible so the Panthers can take one at the top of the 2nd round.

It won't happen but it needs to. They epically ****ed up last year's draft & put their top pick in a ****** situation.

After last season he has to prove it. I think if he balls out against UNC and Clemson you see him move up on everyones radar. And then if he does the same against FSU........

Gattis killed him last year...both physically and mentally.

Advertisement
Back