DeeJay carted off

I've broken my left thumb; broken, dislocated, and separated my right shoulder; broken fingers, and broken a couple toes- none of them hurt near as bad as when I got a grade 3 sprain of my ankle with partially torn ligaments. I've never had a gunshot wound, but I imagine it must feel about the same as when your foot does a 270. I was doing a 3 mile run in the Marines with a fully loaded rucksack through the woods and my right foot got wedged between two tree roots as I was sprinting down hill. About every three or four years after that initial sprain, I'd be walking around and step on a pebble or something insignificant and my ankle would totally give out and I'd be back on crutches again for weeks. Once those ligaments are torn/stretched they don't really go back to normal (same with my shoulder separation, but it's easier to avoid reinjury there). The gimpy ankle also led to degenerative arthritis and what I call "crunchy ankle"- you could hear the grinding when I moved my foot. About 15 years after the initial injury, I planned on having full invasive ankle surgery (I think they were going to put in cadaver parts). I decided to try the PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections as a last ditch effort to avoid surgery- the orthopedic surgeon said it was usually less than 50% successful but it was worth a try. Getting a needle jabbed into your ankle bones isn't fun, but it actually worked. With a bone break, the bone actually heals stronger because of the calcium build up in the broken area. So unfortunately I think DJ's grade 3 sprain is really bad news but maybe he will be one of the few lucky ones whose ligaments return to normal.
I completely tore my lateral collateral ligament playing handball. First doc at student health wrapped it and said put ice (basically standard RICE protocol which is good only for more minor sprains, I think). When the swelling got bigger and bigger, I went to ER saw an orthopedist who said he would have operated had I came in right after the injury. I ended up in cast for six weeks.

Over the years, both ankles gave me trouble. My impression is that sometimes ankle injuries can be very debilitating and long lasting.

I do remember some doc telling me ligament tears in the ankle can sometimes take longer to heal than fractures. Perhaps treatments are better now.

I had great success with PRP healing a bad tear of my hamstring ligament right where it attaches to the bottom of the pelvis at the ischial tuberosity. This would be a difficult location for surgery to fix. The tear was was quite debilitating because it limited how long I could sit.

A physician who specialized in regenerative medicine performed four PRP injections over the course of a year plus PT resulted in a healed tear. This was verified by imaging.

A number of other physicians with whom I discussed PRP were dismissive, thought it was a fraud. My experience, bolstered by the healing verified by before and after MRIs, suggests it can work. At least in some situations.

Advertisement
Thank ewe four waving yur HIPPA rites and Chering yur experience with the bored. Ligament and tendon injuries often due naught heal properly. I am knot a doctor (neither is Dr. Jill Byeden) but many people say that yoga and stretching help prevent ligament and tendon injuries.

Hot yoga is wonderful until someone farts in the room.

He could make it back in the playoffs.

"Carroll compared Dallas’ injury to one L.J. Collier sustained but added it was not as severe. The Seahawks expect Dallas to miss a “few weeks” leaving the door open for the rookie to return in the postseason. "

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back