decision making

#1cane

Sophomore
Last week there was an article on Manny's decision making. The point last week was Manny's decisions were good or improving. Lets look at yesterdays decision making. Was the fake field goal a good call? Was the two point conversion pass to Nelson a good call? My take was its a good call if it works. Its a bad call if it does not. Yesterday goes as bad calls. The other question is why the call was made. The fake field goal made no sense. Going for two being up one at least makes sense but get the **** ball to a play maker not an O lineman.

Advertisement
When does a fake FG "make sense"?

When you're down 3 scores and everybody and their mother is looking for it?

It was as good a time as any to try one and the play was actually executed properly. Borregales just shanked the run and we ended up a yard short.

Had no issues with it.

The pass to Zion.....not so much.

Last week there was an article on Manny's decision making. The point last week was Manny's decisions were good or improving. Lets look at yesterdays decision making. Was the fake field goal a good call? Was the two point conversion pass to Nelson a good call? My take was its a good call if it works. Its a bad call if it does not. Yesterday goes as bad calls. The other question is why the call was made. The fake field goal made no sense. Going for two being up one at least makes sense but get the **** ball to a play maker not an O lineman.

I may be wrong, but Diaz isn't calling the offensive plays. Also, didn't think the screen pass to Zion was bad. We had a OG matched up against a CB? and he failed to manhandle him. If Traore punishes the CB, you have a Safety trying to stop a big man from getting 4 yards. All Zion had to do is bully his way in at that point.

When does a fake FG "make sense"?

When you're down 3 scores and everybody and their mother is looking for it?

It was as good a time as any to try one and the play was actually executed properly. Borregales just shanked the run and we ended up a yard short.

Had no issues with it.

The pass to Zion.....not so much.

Having Borregales run it was the problem, not the play call. Hedley, who is the holder and is more athletic (played Australian football) would have been better to execute it.

Same with the failed 2 pt. conversion leaving an oline man to try and juke a defender.

Very questionable use of personnel more than the actual calls themselves.

we tried to catch them slipping early in the game on the fake field goal...I would’ve just taken the points on the road or let King and the offense go get the first down was my only issue...the pass to Nelson I don’t think I ever seen that before it was creative and like you said better blocking Nelson walks in

Advertisement
7-1... Boom Go Canes Go...

Plays work = good call
Plays don’t work = bad call

Not earth shattering news that fans blame the play call and not execution. Almost every single one of us, myself included would be lauding the innovative cut throat nature of this coaching staff had the below calls worked.

Fake field goal
Zion 2 point conversion
3rd and 5 QB designed run in the 4th

Multiple angles to this. Going for it on 4th would have been a fine call- running THAT fake FG play was not a good call. Just put the O out there.

The play to the O lineman even Zagacki was scratching his head. He was harping about if you’re gonna go for 2 shouldn’t you run your best play? Answer is always yes.

Both were very low IQ (Canes specialty) decisions.

Plays work = good call
Plays don’t work = bad call

Not earth shattering news that fans blame the play call and not execution. Almost every single one of us, myself included would be lauding the innovative cut throat nature of this coaching staff had the below calls worked.

Fake field goal
Zion 2 point conversion
3rd and 5 QB designed run in the 4th

While I agree there is also a middle ground. Why use Borregales and Nelson as your ball carriers on those plays?

Advertisement
What was the article on Manny's decision making? What was the basis of the conclusion its good or improving? Curious to see.

While I agree there is also a middle ground. Why use Borregales and Nelson as your ball carriers on those plays?

Its the element of surprise I assume. Did any of the die hards on this site even think those plays were options?

Also, Zion could have had that had he cut in or had a better block, it wasn’t a bad play design. A fade to Jordan or Mallory is obvious as is a QB draw or inside zone. This offense can’t pickup short yardage short of during the hurry up when defenses aren’t set.

It’s no different than early in the NFL season the patriots running a full house back field with Cam Newton against the Seahawks for a failed 2 point. Great call, everyone knew it was coming, everyone believed in Cam. He got hit by basically every defender 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Predictable play calling kills just as many plays as being too cute with play calling.

Its the element of surprise I assume. Did any of the die hards on this site even think those plays were options?

Also, Zion could have had that had he cut in or had a better block, it wasn’t a bad play design. A fade to Jordan or Mallory is obvious as is a QB draw or inside zone. This offense can’t pickup short yardage short of during the hurry up when defenses aren’t set.

It’s no different than early in the NFL season the patriots running a full house back field with Cam Newton against the Seahawks for a failed 2 point. Great call, everyone knew it was coming, everyone believed in Cam. He got hit by basically every defender 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Predictable play calling kills just as many plays as being too cute with play calling.

You don't negate the element of surprise in either by designing the fake fg to have Hedley (who is the regular holder) run it or with the fake 2 pt conversion having one of your back up te. We were down oline men so having an extra te other than Mallory or Jordan would not necessarily draw attention.

Oline men usually don't practice moves to juke defenders. Design was fine. Who you were asking to execute those plays was questionable.

Advertisement
Good "trick play" calls, which both of those were, are usually those that nobody expects at the time. Trick play usually make coaches look brilliant or silly. They also usually swing the momentum greatly.

Making the decision and it being properly executed are different things. If the punter cuts inside (was a little more athletic) maybe he gets the first down, maybe the D adjusted and they couldn't change it. If our behemoth OT catches the ball a little closer to the hash-marks and gets a few steps momentum, he carries everybody in, like he did, had he not stepped out.

But our side made more correct decisions and we executed them a little better than VT, ultimately, that is all that matters.

His decisions the last 2 games make you scratch your head, but they won both games.
Unfortunately I think Manny is going to cost them a game soon if this continues.

The fake FG was a good call. If you are Manny you are thinking no one would see it coming because we have such a good kicker. But VT’s player was ready for it and made a good play. It was very close to the first down. I thought he got it at first glance. If he dove forward he would have gotten it. I like the aggressiveness from Manny!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back