December 2nd 2019. Miami at Illinois game info and pregame predictions. Game thread if you want it also.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we won, but did anyone else think that, outside of ****burn (still can't believe that's actually his name), Illinois' roster kinda stinks? They didn't have a single guy who could consistently beat us off the dribble.

I could have sworn we recruited ****burn. You can't forget that name.

Advertisement
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we won, but did anyone else think that, outside of ****burn (still can't believe that's actually his name), Illinois' roster kinda stinks? They didn't have a single guy who could consistently beat us off the dribble.

Not really. Illinois has one of the better rosters in the Big 10. Probably right behind that Mich St, Mich, MD, Ohio St tier. They're a predicted NCAA team with talent, experience, and depth.

****burn isn't even their best player. Their PG Ayo is the one who is a projected 1st rd pick, and their other Big Giorgi B was the Big 10 frosh of the year runner up last season.

Their fans are stunned they lost to us, they didn't think it would be close.

How can a team be this bad at free throw shooting over the course of 5 years. One year I get it. More than that it’s coaching, plain and simple

We have not been bad at FT shooting over the past 5 years. Looking at the previous 5 years, we finished >90 percentile nationally twice, >80 percentile once, >50 percentile one other time. The only time we really struggled over the past 5 years was 2018.

This year we have struggled but it is still early.

We have not been bad at FT shooting over the past 5 years. Looking at the previous 5 years, we finished >90 percentile nationally twice, >80 percentile once, >50 percentile one other time. The only time we really struggled over the past 5 years was 2018.

This year we have struggled but it is still early.
Wow man if this is true, then we must have missed critical free throws then because we all have complained about it over the years: Amp Lawrence missed some critical ones, Jaquan Newton missed some critical ones, Lonnie Walker, etc. I'm very surprised by those stats, thank you for posting.

Advertisement
Nice win. First half was really fun to watch. Lykes, DJ, and the much maligned Waardenburg all had really good games.

Advertisement
Young teams have to learn to close the door. Solid win, would love to see improvement going forward. Losing Gak hurts, depth takes a hit, but this team will only go as far as these guards take them. DJ, Lykes and McGusty are the ones. If one of the freshmen figures it out, this team will be a tough out in conference play. If more than one figures it out, Miami may find a way to steal some games and be on the bubble. I came into this season expecting this to be an improvement year, with next year the money year, due to the anticipated recruiting class. Would love to see Miami overachieve this year, and get some additional momentum.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great win on the road against a top 50ish team. I knew the first half was too good to be true, but to watch a 27 point lead evaporate was maddening. A lot of the same issues crept up again - inability to get stops, particularly inside, inability to grab defensive rebounds (especially late in the game), cold stretches of offense, and missed free throws. Thankfully Lykes and DJ brought their A games. Some thoughts:

- Lykes played out of his mind last night! When he's on like that, he's a ton of fun to watch and can drop 25+ on nearly anyone. When he's off, he's a frustrating player to watch. Gee, doesn't that sound like JaQuan Newton? Also, that technical called against him was absolute BS.
- DJ was big time once again. He is shooting at an incredibly efficient clip this season.
- Kam made some nice plays, but his lack of athleticism and elevation hurts him at times. He gets a ton of shots blocked.
- Sam had by far the best game of the season and one of the best games of his career, especially considering the opponent. Why can't we see that more often?
- Miller was terrible. He couldn't rebound or defend to save his life. Ugh
- The freshmen guards were also terrible. If we are going to make any kind of noise in the ACC, we need them to wake up. I didn't expect a ton from Wong yet. the stage looks too big for him right now. It appears Beverly is in a funk after a nice start to the season. Hopefully he can snap out of it with the next couple of cupcakes we have scheduled.
- Nice to see Stone finally out there. Hopefully he can make more of an impact once he gets comfortable with his role. Losing Gak makes this even more important.

Got a tune up vs. Bama A&M in 11 days before we face a tough Temple team in Brooklyn. Go Canes!

Now that they updated the box score properly, a few things continued to stand out:

1. Sam clearly had his best game of the season with 12 Points and 8 Rebounds in 31 Minutes. He scored his 12th Point (on a FT) with 17:28 left in the Second Half. In addition, he had his 8th Rebound with 15:01 left in the Second Half. Obviously you never know when someone's production will cease but with that said, he was pretty lethargic out there in the Second Half. Sam should NOT play 31 minutes in a game. It was obvious he played WAY TOO many minutes (more on this to come).

2. Rodney looked like Rodney. Slow, could hardly move and let up a lot of baskets. Essentially when their big men (the opponent) have a pulse, he will be a tremendous liability. Even when they have no pulse, his production is sub-par.

He played 25 Minutes and had 2 Points and 2 Rebounds. At this point it is clear that Coach will not make necessary changes unless Rodney isn't physically capable of playing or in foul trouble.

3. Front Court, Gak and Walker. I understand Gak is out for the season and, mostly due to our ___________ (insert word here) roster management, we have even less bodies to rotate.

Some Predictions:

Prediction A: Rodney and/or Sam will have 1-3 decent games against our final 3 non-conference games. These performances will give Coach the belief (aka false hope) that he should continue to play them more than 50 Minutes combined.

Prediction B: If Walker continues to hardly play, even though he clearly should, he may transfer. If I had to watch Sam and Rodney get so many minutes AND after Gak was out for the season, I would think that my chances of getting a fair shot are unlikely. Please note that if Sam and Rodney were consistently producing quality burn, then that would be something else.

4. Stone. The sample size is small so let’s hope he is rusty.

Advertisement
Back