DE Harvey becoming more of a priority to staff, will visit in June

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After losing a lot from last season’s team on the D-Line, the Canes are in the market for a few impact players at defensive end. While the staff already boasts a commitment from Chaminade-Madonna 3-star Cameron Williams in the 2019 class, UM is hoping to add at least two more ends to that haul. Someone that has risen on the Canes board lately at the position has been 3-star DE Jahfari Harvey from Vero Beach HS, and Harvey reports that he’s been feeling like more of a priority to the coaches.

“Yes sir, I feel like I’m a priority,” Harvey said. “Coaches Mark Richt, Manny Diaz, and Jess Simpson take the time to hit me up to see how I’m doing and how everything is going. I wouldn’t say I talk to them every day, but pretty often.”

As his possible future position coach, new D-Line coach Jess Simpson has put in the effort to get to know Harvey better. Harvey feels like their relationship has grown from when Simpson was first hired and can only get better from here.

“I would say it is pretty good and only getting better,” Harvey said of his relationship with Simpson. “I am looking forward to talking with him more when I go down.”

The Canes will be bringing Harvey in for a summer visit on June 16th weekend. The talented pass-rusher last visited UM for Junior Day back in March, but says this trip will be different since he will be bringing family members along.

“My family is coming down with me this time, so I’m looking forward to talking to coaches and touring the facilities with them,” Harvey said.

Since that Junior Day visit to Miami 2 months back, Harvey’s recruitment has gone national. Top programs around the country, schools like Oregon, Michigan, Georgia, Louisville, NC State, and Nebraska, have all extended scholarships to the 6’3” 220 pounder within the past month. Harvey says he’s now trying to recalibrate his board and see which of the new offers might fit him best.

“I just thank God and am glad that the hard work I put in is paying off,” Harvey said about the uptick in his recruiting process. “I’m interested in a couple of the new schools, every school has something to offer. I’m trying to see what’s best for me.”

While the Vero Beach star isn’t ready to name favorites, Harvey does mention a few schools that he feels contact him the most.

“Other than Miami, I would say Oregon, Michigan, and Georgia Tech,” said Harvey.

There’s a long way to go for Harvey at this stage to land on a final decision and he plans on taking his time with the process. However, the one program that wins him over will present a good fit for him schematically on the stop-unit, as well as a comfortable environment and a solid education.

“There’s no set time that I want to commit, but what I’m looking for in a school is being comfortable in the scheme they run defensively, relationship with the coaches, and academics.”

Advertisement
Nice looking kid. Plays well in space, good closing speed. Tackles too high but that can be fixed, and I would have liked to have seen more film of him with his hand on the ground to see how he gets off blocks. Maybe a Joker-type DE/LB a la Mike Smith?

I’d be happy with a class of Williams, Harvey, and Bogle/Summerall at DE.
The kid is talented, not as polished of a DE recruit as Garvin but from a size/speed stand point he is every bit as talented IMO and has a high ceiling.

My board is

1. Bogle
2. Summerall/Cam Williams
4. Harvey

I can’t really say where I would put any of the OOS guys currently

Advertisement
Jahfari Harvey, Dorien Josey & Devenere Norfleet are kids we should be recruiting as legit options.

Bogle is obviously the #1 priority, but he's gonna drag out his recruitment until NSD which means the staff is wise to make sure they're not left standing at the altar.

I really liked Harvey's film when I first posted his offer back in January. He was originally at John Carroll before Vero Beach & had a great Junior season.

Actually rated slightly higher than Cam Williams by 247 (no composite ranking yet but I trust 247 more than Rivals or ESPN)

Jahfari Harvey, Dorien Josey & Devenere Norfleet are kids we should be recruiting as legit options.

Bogle is obviously the #1 priority, but he's gonna drag out his recruitment until NSD which means the staff is wise to make sure they're not left standing at the altar.

I really liked Harvey's film when I first posted his offer back in January. He was originally at John Carroll before Vero Beach & had a great Junior season.

So would Harvey and Bogle complete the DE position for Surge19'??

Advertisement
So would Harvey and Bogle complete the DE position for Surge19'??
Depends on how many they wanna take. Bogle & Cam Williams are the top 2, but if they wanna add another, Harvey & Josey are good options. Plus, you never know what can happen with Bogle, so you have to keep recruiting others just in case.

I would like to see us take 3 DE's & 3DT's this class, but they may only take 2 DE's & 3DT's or 2 of both idk.

My point is, the staff is smart taking a look at other prospects & not putting all their eggs in one basket.

Good speed but I'd like more twitch/explosiveness. Interested to see how his Sr season goes. Maybe he takes that next step.

Advertisement
Nice looking kid. Plays well in space, good closing speed. Tackles too high but that can be fixed, and I would have liked to have seen more film of him with his hand on the ground to see how he gets off blocks. Maybe a Joker-type DE/LB a la Mike Smith?
My thoughts exactly. A bit raw but has the talent no question. I disagree on the Joker Mike Smith thing. This is a kid who you bring in to the program and you teach him how to be an every down DE. He has the frame to develop into a very nice DE in terms of size. The kid definitely has the natural pass rush ability and great closing speed. Bring him in and let Coach Simpson develop him. I wouldn't necessarily expect Harvey to contribute as a freshman but I think he has what it takes. He just needs coaching. I would be okay with Harvey as the 3rd or 4th DE in the class and the kid could end up being a star eventually.

Depends on how many they wanna take. Bogle & Cam Williams are the top 2, but if they wanna add another, Harvey & Josey are good options. Plus, you never know what can happen with Bogle, so you have to keep recruiting others just in case.

I would like to see us take 3 DE's & 3DT's this class, but they may only take 2 DE's & 3DT's or 2 of both idk.

My point is, the staff is smart taking a look at other prospects & not putting all their eggs in one basket.

I think the number is going to end up 7-8:
Possibilities
DE- (Besides Williams)- BogleHarvey/Josey/Summerall/Weaver/couple GA kids/perhaps a juco or two, lord knows we have the pt to offer for it.
DT- (Besides 2 commits)- Holley/Ingraham/Davis

Last edited:
Advertisement
Harvey is a Great prospect with untapped potential which Coach Simpson will tap into. He’s also a kid with great character. Will be a blessing to get him.

As a freshman at John Carroll triple jumped an excellent 42-5 for the age---kid is explosive
That is exactly the thing you want to see. Explosiveness! Speed and explosiveness cannot be taught. They can be improved upon through a good S&C program but you're not going to see a slow footed kid with little explosion gain those traits all of a sudden. The elite kids in terms of these 2 traits have genetics to thank and we need to stockpile as many as possible at every position. Richt and staff have done an amazing job thus far infusing this squad with the type of speed and explosiveness that Miami is known for. Keep it coming I say.

Advertisement
Back