DE Barfield has Canes out in front after landing offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Eau Gallie (FL) DE Julius Barfield landed his second Power 5 offer last week when the Miami Hurricanes offered him a scholarship.

“I was at a loss for words when I found out,” Barfield said. “Coach (Jon) Patke called me himself and told me over the phone.”

The 6-4 220 pound prospect says he had a long conversion with Patke that included a discussion on his potential role in the Miami defense.

“He was telling me how they’re going to be really good this year and that he was looking forward to the season,” Barfield said of Patke. “He was telling me that they see me playing down with my hands in the dirt, but that they could also see me standing up and playing on the outside. I mainly play down in dirt at defensive end in high school. I would say my game is fast-paced and I’m very good at reading the play.”

Now with a Canes offer in hand, Barfield said his interest in the program couldn’t be much higher and that he considers UM his leader.

“It was already high enough, they were always one of my top 2 teams,” Barfield said of his Miami interest. “Right now, they’re probably the first team I’d go to. I just want to play for a team in Florida so my family can come watch.”

When asked what attracts him to the program, Barfield focused on the success that the Miami front seven has had over the past few years in creating havoc in the backfield.

“I really like the players and how they play. I really love Miami’s defensive playing style,” Barfield said. “I’ll watch the games sometimes, I like how they always give the QB no time to throw the ball. Sacks and tackles for loss, that’s what I like to do.”

Barfield is a relatively new name in recruiting circles, as he has just started to get college attention; other offers for Barfield include Kansas, FAU, and Charlotte.

“The process is very new for me,” Barfield said. “I haven’t really done anything yet or taken visits. I talk to FAU regularly, but that’s about it. I’m hoping to take a summer visit to Miami.”

As he’s still getting his feet under him regarding the recruiting process, Barfield says he expects to take his time with a decision and let things play out instead of rushing into a quick choice.

“I was going to do it on my senior day game, I was going to commit that same week,” Barfield said of his decision. “The main factors are my education, what I’m going to major in, and how the program has played in the past few years.”

As a junior in 2019, Barfield put up 70 tackles, 17 TFL, and 6 sacks for Viera High, but recently transferred to Eau Gallie High over the offseason.

“I feel like my junior season went really well, I did better than my last two seasons,” Barfield said. “Some coaches have been telling me how I need to work on my upper body, that it’s really rigid, so I’m going to be working on that a lot this offseason, and my footwork.”

Advertisement
He doesn't jump off the screen. He looks ok but I think we will do much better. Just off that tape I wouldn't have offered but its a small sample size so lets see how is sr year goes if they have one.

His dad was on a Miami facebook page hyped about the offer. Being from brevard and seeing kids transfer to Eau Gallie kinda blows my mind but I've been gone for over a decade

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back