2024 DB Zavier Mincey

Advertisement

“I’m supposed to be going there within two weeks. We haven’t picked a specific date, but that’s one of the top schools,” Mincey told InsideTheU.

Demarcus Van Dyke has been assisting secondary coach Jahmile Addae in this recruitment.

“I like it. It’s hype. Past players, Sean Taylor, all them boys came through. It’s just hype,” Mincey said.

Advertisement

“I’m supposed to be going there within two weeks. We haven’t picked a specific date, but that’s one of the top schools,” Mincey told InsideTheU.

Demarcus Van Dyke has been assisting secondary coach Jahmile Addae in this recruitment.

“I like it. It’s hype. Past players, Sean Taylor, all them boys came through. It’s just hype,” Mincey said.

Did he say Sean Taylor came through? I wanna see

Advertisement
Summary please. Did he visit last week? If so, what dates?

Is it Mainland or Maitland? I know where Maitland is. Never heard of Mainland.
Mainland HS is in Daytona Beach.

It’s a pretty famous school that has produced quite a bit of great athletes, like Vince Carter & Ricardo Allen.

It’s mostly been a UF/FSU stronghold school, the last 2 kids we seriously pursed from there was Cyrus ***an in the 2017 class (signed with FSU) & John Huggins in the 2018 class (signed with UF).

Advertisement

Florida is the perceived leader. Second time meeting Cristobal first time on campus didn't are trip with Mcray like he planned but still wanted to pull up on Sat. Enjoyed everything Bama, A&M, Tennessee, Florida schools standing out to him. Another visit to Miami possible but nothing is set. Enjoyed the visit.

Daytona Beach (Fla.) Mainland four-star safety Zavier Mincey is trending heavily toward Florida, but Miami still managed to bring him to Coral Gables for an unofficial before the Hurricanes’ spring game next week.

Miami has continued to push for the No. 73 overall prospect in the On300 and No. 8 safety in the 2024 class even as the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine has steadily continued to lean toward the Gators. Mincey was originally scheduled to visit with fellow Daytona Beach (Fla.) Mainland four-star defensive lineman LJ McCray earlier this spring, but he still felt it was important to visit Miami — even if it was on his own.

“I didn’t go down (with McCray), and then I was like, ‘Man, I’m like four hours away. You know what? I’m gonna make it a priority to come,'” Mincey said. “I came in not knowing a lot; having a relationship with coaches, but not face-to-face, so definitely seeing everybody and putting faces to names just made it better.”

Saturday was Mincey’s first visit to Miami and second time interacting with head coach Mario Cristobal in person. He first met Cristobal in-person several months ago when the Canes’ program leader traveled to Daytona Beach to visit Mincey and McCray at their high school, but Saturday’s trip to Coral Gables still more than met expectations. He said Miami’s staff made his visit “a fun day” and entertaining from start to finish.

“(Miami) is just a great place to be,” Mincey said. “The classrooms are more intimate, you’re closer with your teachers than you’d be at a public university. They showed me graduation rates are high. Academics are there, coaches are there, players are there.”

The Canes have fallen in love with Mincey’s 6-foot-3, 180-pound frame and exceptional length for his position and told him he can “definitely” play at the next level. Miami is trying to become the program that develops him into an NFL prospect, and he’s come to respect Hurricanes’ secondary coach Jahmile Addae, who has primarily handled his recruitment. Addae contacts Mincey daily, along with Miami defensive analyst DeMarcus Van Dyke, and he said he’s “pretty interested” in what Miami has to offer.

He said he’s interested in the programs that are talking to him — all of the Florida schools, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Alabama — because they’ve shown him the most attention throughout his recruitment and made him a clear priority.

“If I’m going to play somewhere, I have to have a relationship with the coaches and the staff and all of that,” Mincey said. “It doesn’t have to be blowing up my phone, but just a simple ‘Good morning’ or ‘How are you doing?’ Stuff like that.”

The two parties haven’t settled on a date for a return trip to campus, but Mincey said he’s interested in making another trip south.

Mainland HS is in Daytona Beach.

It’s a pretty famous school that has produced quite a bit of great athletes, like Vince Carter & Ricardo Allen.

It’s mostly been a UF/FSU stronghold school, the last 2 kids we seriously pursed from there was Cyrus ***an in the 2017 class (signed with FSU) & John Huggins in the 2018 class (signed with UF).
i believe Mainland is where Tank Dell came out of, prior to AAMU.

Advertisement

Miami has been recruiting Daytona Beach (Fla.) Mainland Top247 safety Zavier Mincey for a while now and the big 6-foot-3, 190-pound defensive back finally got down to campus on Saturday.

“Really just last stop in Florida. I built a relationship with the coaching staff, so came to show love and learn more about the program,” Mincey told InsideTheU on why he wanted to get down to Miami.

Now that he’s seen it for himself, the Hurricanes are a school Mincey can more deeply consider.

“I loved it. Great atmosphere, great coaches. I love the city, loved watching practice, love watching [Jahmile] Addae and [Demarcus Van Dyke] coach,” Mincey said. “They were just keeping it real.”

“Definitely just seeing, building a relationship with the coaches helps. I definitely love the city. It’s Miami,” Mincey added.

On Greentree, the No. 88 overall player in the country watched the Hurricanes secondary get after it

“They were just competing from one-on-ones down to special teams. They was getting after it, people trying to make plays,” Mincey said.

Mario Cristobal made it clear that Miami wants the No. 4 safety in the country.

“Just telling us that I’m one of the main priorities and that he’s going to do what it takes to get me here and wants me to be a Cane,” Mincey said.

Coming off the visit, Coral Gables left a strong impression.

“I’m loving it. The visit today, it’s making me think. I got a lot of decisions to make, so I love it.”

June is right around the corner but Mincey doesn’t currently plan to use all five in the summer. One could be during his bye week during his senior season and another after the season.

“We’re probably going to get down to that closer to my spring,” Mincey said on locking in trips.

Yeah Boi Flava Flav GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Advertisement
Back