DB depth chart prediction thread for week1.

CFLCane

Junior
Banned
I think the younger more talented kids are going to get the nod this year considering our weak schedule. Guys like Henderson and Dallas who have elite physical traits will be able to mask some of their inexperience with the short amount of time they'll have to cover WR's when our DL are cannibalizing QB's. Personally i'd eventually love to see Dallas move towards the FS position but for week 1 i like Johnson in the spot. Redwine was the hardest for me to project. He's the most experienced guy on the roster but i don't see him as a better FS than Johnson, is he a good enough tackler to play SS until Carter gets more comfortable? Luckily Carter is an EE and i think that might give him the edge since he's more of a natural fit for strong safety.

CB1 Young/Edwards
CB2 Dean/Dallas
CB3 Bandy/Henderson

FS Johnson/Redwine/Dallas?
SS Carter/Finley/Wright or Smith

S
Jaquan Johnson
Robert Knowles (transfer candidate)
Romeo Finley
Cedrick Wright
Amari Carter EE
Derrick Smith

CB/S Hybrid
Deejay Dallas (just my personal feeling he'd be a great FS)
Brian Edwards (wants to play CB, but i believe with the recruting class this year and next his future is at S)
Jaquan Johnson (could still play a lot of nickel for us)
Sheldrick Redwine
Jeff James

CB
Trajan Bandy
Terrence Henley (transfer candidate)
Michael Jackson
Ryan Mayes (transfer candidate)
Malek Young
Chris Henderson
Jhavonte Dean

Last edited:
Advertisement
Derrick Smith as our 6th best safety? Not agreeing there. I expect him in the two deep and on special teams pronto.

oh ****, forgot dean totally, editiing now LMAO.

Players are not listed by talent level btw just random.

Advertisement
I think the younger more talented kids are going to get the nod this year considering our weak schedule. Guys like Henderson and Dallas who have elite physical traits will be able to mask some of their inexperience with the short amount of time they'll have to cover WR's when our DL are cannibalizing QB's. Personally i'd eventually love to see Dallas move towards the FS position but for week 1 i like Johnson in the spot. Redwine was the hardest for me to project. He's the most experienced guy on the roster but i don't see him as a better FS than Johnson, is he a good enough tackler to play SS until Carter gets more comfortable? Luckily Carter is an EE and i think that might give him the edge since he's more of a natural fit for strong safety.

CB1 Young/Edwards
CB2 Dean/Dallas
CB3 Bandy/Henderson

S
Jaquan Johnson
Romeo Finley
Cedrick Wright
Amari Carter EE
Derrick Smith

CB/S Hybrid
Brian Edwards (wants to play CB, but i believe with the recruting class this year and next his future is at S)
Sheldrick Redwine
Jeff James

CB
Trajan Bandy
Michael Jackson
Malek Young
Chris Henderson
Jhavonte Dean

redwine isn't changing positions. he will play cb. I could see mayes or Jackson moving to safety if Miami though had a need but with jj, wright, james, and kids coming in might not need that even,

yes dean will get a shot to start week 1, but young and redwine have a huge step up on learning system, I expect dean, Edwards and Henderson to compete but not win a starting job. if had been ee might be different,

I think bandy being an ee has a huge shot to win nickle job and maybe in base sets play cb over redwine if he wins it outright. I know people are down on goldens recruits but not all of them sucked,

truth is redwine for most part was ok last year , rumph is proving to be a solid cb coach who gets the most out of his kids. redwine won't be moved to safety and is one of the top 4 cbs on roster even with new kids.

Not a bad synopsis, but you have to see what word is on these kids during and after spring and fall camp. There is going to be some surprises and position switches, but until they get out there running around not even the coaches would be willing to project definitively the DB depth chart. We know we're getting much better talent in but we can't get caught up in individual hype before the reading, running and hitting starts.

Advertisement
With this class...this goes from a weakness to a strength. Florida's fvck up is Miami's gain with Edwards and Henderson making this a class that went from good to great for the unit.

CB1 Young/Edwards
CB2 Jackson/Dean
CB3 Bandy/Henderson

FS Johnson/Carter/James
SS Redwine/Finley/Smith/Wright

I think they try hard to make Carter a FS

Dallas play offense

CB1 Young/Edwards
CB2 Dean/Dallas
CB3 Bandy/Henderson

S
Jaquan Johnson
Romeo Finley
Cedrick Wright
Amari Carter EE
Derrick Smith

CB/S Hybrid
Sheldrick Redwine
Jeff James

CB
Trajan Bandy
Michael Jackson
Malek Young
Chris Henderson
Jhavonte Dean

looks good I just think wright would be in the cb 3/ safety role sort of what jj did this past year.. and hopefully they Henderson can learn the ropes quickly for the boundary or red shirt this year

Interested to see who emerges at the nickel and strong safety spots. We have a lot of versatile players and like last year you will see guys moved around to get the best 11 on the field to match up with the offense. I'd rather have Quan at free safety, the one thing I noticed last season is that he does struggle defeating blocks in space at times due to his lack of size and twitch. Bandy or Wright are a bit quicker to me I can see them making plays on the bubble screens everybody runs these days. **** if Edwards comes in he can play that as well as boundary with his coverage skills and exceptional size to take on blocks.

Crapshoot at strong safety between Finley, Knowles, and Carter. Our second team backers used to bite so hard on play action early this season I honestly don't think they had a fair look yet.

If Shaq and Mike don't leave the field with our front I'm not even worried about who starts outside at corner (unless its Redwine or Mayes) seeing the play from our unit last year. Rumph is going to get the best out of them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back