Dawson discusses offense's resilience

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
1698703142839.png

When asked about his team's run offense at the end of the fourth quarter, Dawson said, “Our run offense dominated the end of the game. When it went into overtime, I was hoping we’d dent their defense. We felt like we could run it and we did.” However, he noted the need to enhance their presence in the Red Zone during regular game time.

Reflecting on the entire game after watching the film, Dawson described it as a “weird game”. “We felt flat from the beginning,” he stated. “Had I known the reason, I would bottle it up and you'd never see me again. But we had a good week of practice leading up to it." He gave credit to Virginia for their resilience but lamented his team's missed opportunities and crucial errors.

One key topic of discussion revolved around quarterbacks checking down more. Dawson acknowledged that every quarterback, including Tyler Van Dyke, should be more cautious. Referring to a specific play, he highlighted the need for quarterbacks to “take what the defense gives. Get greedy, and bad things happen.”

He also addressed concerns about Van Dyke possibly forcing passes to Xavier Restrepo, given their close friendship. “There's a comfort level there,” Dawson commented. “It's easy to point to the times it doesn't work out, but there are many instances it has worked well.”

Dawson emphasized the importance of mental strength, praising his team's resilience: “We didn’t shut down, our sideline was great. We kept battling and searching for answers. We made just enough plays to win the game.”

On facing teams trying to contain their deep passing game, Dawson believes it's a mix of the opponent's planning and missed opportunities by his team. He reiterated his team's prowess against Zone defenses and emphasized sticking to their progression.

Dawson also touched on his quarterbacks, revealing that he had backup quarterback Emory Williams ready to play but prefers to let his primary quarterbacks work through their issues. “I’m a ride or die dude,” he expressed. When discussing second-year quarterback Jacurri Brown, he mentioned that he's progressing well but was saved for the year to be used as an emergency quarterback.

Furthermore, when queried about the luxury of having a consistent field goal kicker like Andres Borregales, Dawson mentioned, “It’s huge. I don’t even look out there when he walks on the field. However, I'm not trying to rely on him either; I want to score a touchdown.”

Advertisement
“He also addressed concerns about Van Dyke possibly forcing passes to Xavier Restrepo, given their close friendship. “There's a comfort level there,” Dawson commented. “It's easy to point to the times it doesn't work out, but there are many instances it has worked well.”

step brothers dale GIF

Yes?

Advertisement
Pretty sure Mario is going to let TVD face two-high shells all week in practice. I cannot imagine any of these coordinators not say that, especially Guidry.

This coaching staff has shown the willingness and capability of adjusting. Its needed more than ever.

Advertisement
Basically TVD wasn’t going to get benched lol..

I’ve never seen a QB at Miami get coddled like TVD.
The decision isn’t made in a vacuum.

1- we know tvd has more potential than he’s shown so there’s the hope he gets out of this funk

2- the back up isn’t some world beater/stud that we know without a doubt is going to be better.

3- based on 1 & 2, it’s going to take a lot to pull TVD and create a qb controversy. Last year when he was pulled, the next man up still was garbage and all it did was hurt confidence.

IF TVD keeps throwing bad INTs, you need to sit him. Straight up bad QB play.
My only concern is exactly this post , we keep giving TVD chances till it’s to late then it doesn’t matter what we do won’t matter.

Unless TVD dies what he he did (2) years ago give him the hook , I haven’t seen this amount of regression in a QB in all my years .

Boys, I just don’t see a metamorphosis happening in TVD it would have happened. He’s a one primary receiver QB if it isn’t there forget it sorry.

No apologies here when you chasing ACCCG no time for tears it’s a hero to zero business.

Does anyone here see TVD playing like he did (2) years ago ?

I didn’t think so , this NCST game isn’t going to good , I think when the the ball is snapped TVD blank’s out seeing players running around going OS WHAT ???.

Again do you guys have the same thoughts?

I thought so .

Now what do think this team feels as confidence on the road?

I thought so .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Basically TVD wasn’t going to get benched lol..

I’ve never seen a QB at Miami get coddled like TVD.
Because who are you going to put out there? Pulling TVD means he is officially mentally done. They don’t want to throw Emory into the wolves and hurt him long term should things go south If they don’t have to. Brown is not playing unless both TVD and Emory go down. Has nothing to do with coddling TVD.

Because who are you going to put out there? Pulling TVD means he is officially mentally done. They don’t want to throw Emory into the wolves and hurt him long term should things go south If they don’t have to. Brown is not playing unless both TVD and Emory go down. Has nothing to do with coddling TVD.
I understand.. they are in a difficult position.

Imo nothing about Emory displays he would be any worse then what TVDs been in the last 3 games he’s plays.

At the very least he can game manage and protect the ball better that TVD.

TVD is hurt and obviously mentally shot.. why subject this team that fights their *** off to a QB who literally could have been 0-3 based off his play solely.

Advertisement
I understand.. they are in a difficult position.

Imo nothing about Emory displays he would be any worse then what TVDs been in the last 3 games he’s plays.

At the very least he can game manage and protect the ball better that TVD.

TVD is hurt and obviously mentally shot.. why subject this team that fights their *** off to a QB who literally could have been 0-3 based off his play solely.
You assume he can protect the ball better because he attempted 20 passes behind the LOS? Or is it because you have been fed stories of how much the staph loves Emory?

You assume he can protect the ball better because he attempted 20 passes behind the LOS? Or is it because you have been fed stories of how much the staph loves Emory?
Anything yall see me post.. is an opinion based on what I see.

The staff lies, and the media tell the lies they are told.

I am in no way shape or form an expert.. but I’ve learned to trust my eyes.

My eyes tell me TVD is who he is. I’ve seen 3 years straight of it. He’s a 4th year college QB that can’t diagnose simple coverages. As simple as there’s an obvious double and even some times triple defenders in the area.. don’t throw the dam ball.

Mix in the fact he shows absolutely no fire. And he’s consistently hurt.

From HS, to the elite 11 and the limited time we’ve seen Emory, I’ve seen the exact opposite of TVD.

I see better decisions making, yes already. I see much better pocket presents.. I see a command you wanna see from a quarterback. I see someone who actually takes advantage of a great offensive line and takes the time he has to find open players.
And a guys on the sideline talking to his players trying to hype them up and get them ready for the next play.

Just saying I’ve seen more than enough from TVD, and would prefer to go down fighting with Emory.

Advertisement
Back