Dawson at Houston

NVA CANE

All-American
Same issues at Miami as he had in Houston evidently. Got fired from Kentucky, mediocre at his next stop and demoted to a TE coach when he went to Houston. Dawson is terrible, and Mario is the ultimate problem for insisting on an archaic offense. He will never win here unless he changes his offensive philosophy.

Holgorsen is going to be here. Which doesn’t mean he can’t change for the better — and make his players and the fans believe again.

It’s time for Dana Holgorsen to give Houston the offense most expected when he was hired. It’s time for Holgorsen to bring the creativity and the daring back to the offensive side of the ball, his speciality. In some ways, Holgorsen’s evolution into more of the CEO of the football program is commendable. It shows growth and a willingness to delegate. But when UH’s offense is beyond ordinary and seemingly getting more conservative late in games with Shannon Dawson calling plays, Holgorsen needs to step in and make more of an imprint.

The most distributing part of the Tulane defeat isn’t that UH lost at home to a third string quarterback. It’s that Tulane seemingly showed more confidence in its third string quarterback (redshirt freshman Kai Horton) than Houston did in its fifth year starter Clayton Tune.

Houston ran the ball on 12 of its 19 first down plays in the second half and overtime, took the ball out of Tune’s hands to begin its ill-fated overtime possession. Instead of letting Clayton Tune try to win games, Houston is almost turning him into a secondary character.
Too often this season, the bolder more daring offense has been on the other side. While Houston’s seemingly been more than content to kick a go-ahead field goal (UTSA, Texas Tech) late rather than push for the touchdown that could put the game away.
This isn’t what anyone expected when Dana Holgorsen came back to Houston. The truth is if the Cougars’ offense excited everyone (or anyone), if the fans had confidence in Holgorsen’s belief in being bold, this same 2-3 record would be looked at differently.

It’s not the losses as much as the lack of offensive imagination that many find so discouraging. It’s like reserving a Ferrari and ending up tooling around town in a Toyota Camry. The most surprising thing about Dana Holgorsen’s UH head coaching tenure is how mundane the Cougars offense largely has been.
Holgorsen’s speciality, the side of the ball where he built his well-earned reputation in the first place. Leaning on the defense and playing more of a ball control style worked when UH actually possessed a dominant defense, a difference making tailback in Alton McCaskilland elite special teams last season.

Holgorsen still has time to shift the script. Despite the boos, despite the empty seats, it won’t take all that much to bring the hope back. Whether he publicly takes back over play calling duties or just shifts the approach behind closed doors, Holgorsen must bring some innovation back to Houston’s offensive approach.
Dana Holgorsen can make it better, can build back belief for his reeling, searching lost team by doing what he’s always done best. By dialing up an offense that opponents actually fear a little.

Advertisement
Same issues at Miami as he had in Houston evidently. Got fired from Kentucky, mediocre at his next stop and demoted to a TE coach when he went to Houston. Dawson is terrible, and Mario is the ultimate problem for insisting on an archaic offense. He will never win here unless he changes his offensive philosophy.

Mario knew all of that when he hired him. That's what Mario wants.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Check the notes, I never liked this hire. he surprised me early in the year but now he’s showing who he is.

All I can say after watching the last 2 years of cr@p O is that Lashlee was a genius for what he accomplished at Miami with TVD..
My dream is for Mario to step down after another 3 years of mediocrity and hire Lashlee or G. J Kinne as Head Coach.

Advertisement
All I can say after watching the last 2 years of cr@p O is that Lashlee was a genius for what he accomplished at Miami with TVD..

I was watching SMU on friday night and Lashlee is a mad genius what he does over there for way less of a talent

My dream is for Mario to step down after another 3 years of mediocrity and hire Lashlee or G. J Kinne as Head Coach.

I'm going to give him another year before I want him outta here but I hate and I mean I hate his offense. Right now I'm watching Oregon offense, can we hire Lanning. Dude has his 2nd different OC and they still look great

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back