2023 David Hicks

Advertisement
Word out in Texas is that the NIL deal that Hicks received was massive, and is causing internal dissension with the blue chip DL recruits that A&M got in 2022. Shemar Stewart and two others were cited as likely to enter to the portal in the off-season. Take it for what it’s worth.
these dudes need to go listen to a tony yayo interview. They could learn some things.

What did Yayo say?

I had a Longhorn friend bring up the possible transfers, with no eye on it benefiting Miami. He was basically talking about the unsustainability of the 2022 class.
just in general not checking other peoples pockets and accepting how much you got and being happy with it.

I had a Longhorn friend bring up the possible transfers, with no eye on it benefiting Miami. He was basically talking about the unsustainability of the 2022 class.

I tend to agree but I also think the NIL deals are likely grossly overstated. $2M for a HS QB is crazy. Now if it really amounts to $200-500k, that works out. The market will find balance in time. At some point, I could see these NIL orgs paying more for a right to future earnings especially when it comes to portal kids with a proven track record.

If Ruiz truly made $2-10B, he should have no problem throwing around $10-15M/yr for NIL deals that could be written off as marketing expenses for his company. Thus, $5-8M of actual costs to him. I don't the NIL laws in Florida but I can tell you that having no income tax to pay helps compared to states like Cali. That is what will really hurt USC and UCLA.

Advertisement
I tend to agree but I also think the NIL deals are likely grossly overstated. $2M for a HS QB is crazy. Now if it really amounts to $200-500k, that works out. The market will find balance in time. At some point, I could see these NIL orgs paying more for a right to future earnings especially when it comes to portal kids with a proven track record.

If Ruiz truly made $2-10B, he should have no problem throwing around $10-15M/yr for NIL deals that could be written off as marketing expenses for his company. Thus, $5-8M of actual costs to him. I don't the NIL laws in Florida but I can tell you that having no income tax to pay helps compared to states like Cali. That is what will really hurt USC and UCLA.

That last part is a huge sell that nobody talks about

Not a tax wizard, but students dont count the state in which the go to college at as their primary residence so wouldn’t they still pay the tax rate of their home state?
With that kind of $$$, the parents could move to Florida.

Advertisement
Not a tax wizard, but students dont count the state in which the go to college at as their primary residence so wouldn’t they still pay the tax rate of their home state?
Taxes are based on where the work took place. That’s why athletes pay taxes in states that they played games in and professionals that travel like Auditors need to file in multiple states.

Taxes are based on where the work took place. That’s why athletes pay taxes in states that they played games in and professionals that travel like Auditors need to file in multiple states.
That doesn't apply to NIL as they aren't paid to play.

In this case, the kid could change his state of residence to Florida since he will be in Florida for over 6 months a year.

That doesn't apply to NIL as they aren't paid to play.

In this case, the kid could change his state of residence to Florida since he will be in Florida for over 6 months a year.
Not to play but they are being paid for a service. They are shooting commercials and asking to promote the brand. If they happen to shoot a commercial in NYC, they would have to pay NY state and local taxes.

Advertisement
Not to play but they are being paid for a service. They are shooting commercials and asking to promote the brand. If they happen to shoot a commercial in NYC, they would have to pay NY state and local taxes.
This would depend on the structure of the deal. I’d have to assume most of the work would be local otherwise the kid could commit to another school.

Advertisement
Now I just want to know where he's going to be next weekend.....
Confused Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Advertisement
Back