Darnell Salomon 247 Update

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami has offered many South Florida wide receivers at this point but Miami Central’s Darnell Salomon had his long before most of the others.

(Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)
That was just the first step though, Salomon (6-3, 198) likely cares a lot more about what they have done with him since getting started.

“The coaches are always writing me letters and saying I could be a big part of their recruiting class,” Salomon said. “Coach Brown shows love and he talks about how I could represent my hometown at Miami . That kind of plays a big part in choosing a college because I don’t want to go that far away.”

Salomon said he doesn’t really have any question marks about the Hurricanes. Their proximity may outweigh the team’s performance in 2014.

“Their season doesn’t really change being in my top five,” Salomon said. “I would like to see them go farther this coming year but they’re still a good program no matter what. I know what they’re about because I went down there a few times. It’s easy to get on campus whenever I want and I like that too.”

Salomon has around 25 offers now but he does list a top five, all of which he has been to before. He plans return visits to Alabama and LSU for their spring games.

“Alabama has great coaches and great facilities,” Salomon said. “ Miami especially has great coaches and they send a bunch of guys to the draft. LSU always has great receivers and Florida State isn’t afraid to play true freshmen. With Clemson, I look at Sammy Watkins as my role model.”

Salomon, who plans on a summer commitment, is already adjusting to a new home. He joined the Rockets after they’ve captured three straight class 6A state titles.

“I’ve been out here maybe three weeks but I had been thinking about it for a long while because the principal was my optimist coach,” Salomon said. “I’m getting used to a new environment coming over from a private school. They make sure we stay in the weight room from Monday through Friday.”

Salomon had spent the past two seasons at Champagnat Catholic and he helped them win a 2A title in 2013. He totaled 74 catches for 1569 yards and 16 touchdowns in his time with the Lions.

“It was a hard decision to make as far as leaving some of my teammates,” Salomon said. “I still felt like it was best for me but that didn’t mean it was easy. It just made sense because we lost so many seniors and Coach Mike (Tunsil) was leaving. Kato (Nelson) transferred out and so I wasn’t going to have my quarterback anymore either.”

Salomon is a four star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite, ranking him 83rd overall in the nation, 12th at his position, and 13th overall in the state of Florida.

Interesting that he says miami put players in the draft. About a month back he said we didn't. I think the coaches on other teams are negatively recruiting miami about that. That will change when we have 8 taken in the draft in April and 5 in the top 2 rounds

**** changes with recruits. Sam bruce was all fsu at one point but he started doing research his self and changed his mind.

People have maybe been showing him even though the team has been ****** we have 4 guys that are top 5 at their position in the draft and dorsett is being listed in top 7 at wr.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back