Danny Dillard commits

Advertisement
Are you honestly *****ing about Lamar Miller right now?

Would you like to deny the claim that Miller is dancing right now? Because if you did, you would be wrong.

Miller is a good back, a really good back....but if he didn't dance he would be better. At the beginning of the year he was hitting the hole hard and going, now he's dancing for some reason trying to make a big play instead of hitting the hole and taking the yards. Nothing wrong with what Valid said.

When LM leaves then who does that leave us with next year that is a TB that can run strong btw the tackles? I wonder if the style of runner he brings wasn't a big pull for the staff.

Elaborate on this. Running tall?

Running upright, like ****erson, Peterson and the like. Leaves an awful lot of area to hit in the hole. Generally takes more contact. Not much natural body lean. Typically not a back that falls forward.

This is what Bakas has to say about him:

I like this kid.

6-1/200 and he ran one of the fastest times at any of my events last spring/summer. He's very fast straight ahead but doesn't have a whole lot of wiggle. Excellent pass-catching skills, too. Either way, he's a player who has a nice skill set.

What was his time?

Advertisement
So I'm guessing this will be the big back compliant to
Duke and that Brown isn't an option now?

Running upright, like ****erson, Peterson and the like. Leaves an awful lot of area to hit in the hole. Generally takes more contact. Not much natural body lean. Typically not a back that falls forward.

In addition, plays with poor leverage, needs to risk more injury (or simply wears down) in order to gain yards after contact, and generally minimizes the potential for efficient cutbacks (think of the first thing they'll teach someone to do in order to change direction: sink hips).

Can he do well? Sure. I've seen other tall runners do well. But, it's most certainly NOT a feature to look for in a RB. Watch the very best RBs of all time. There are a couple exceptions in there that are upright runners. They were mostly insane athletes.

Not gonna lie, a small part of me is wondering if we're getting a little too cute with some parts of recruiting. We don't have a ton of schollies left...

Or, alternatively, Al Golden is a less douchey Butch Davis and we have a grand slam.
I felt that way earlier this year. But once the Shapiro stuff came out, I realized AG may have had more strategy in his recruiting than we knew at the time. Get commits before the negative pub, amd get kids who are likely to stick. Now he's had so e time to evaluate kids in their senior years, so I'm less worried about it being cute anymore. It's a pure evaluation, but insofar as recruiting really comes down to just that, I'm prepared to wait to see how good this staff is at evaluating. My instinct is I think is kid will be solid. Not sure what position though. The only commit I totally don't understand is hope.

Advertisement
Based on his measureables sure sounds like this kid could end up anywhere. With that size he could be a WR, LB, or even a FB here. He's big and fast.. if he doesnt have the shake and bake for RB, we need some FBs... especially since Golden is a Penn State guy... that means a "pound the rock" mentality... we are going to have fullbacks on this team.

It seems Brown has underwhlemed this year, and we needed a big pack to compliment Duke, so I like the pick-up. Get the kid in here and teach him to lower his pads.

Advertisement
In addition, plays with poor leverage, needs to risk more injury (or simply wears down) in order to gain yards after contact, and generally minimizes the potential for efficient cutbacks (think of the first thing they'll teach someone to do in order to change direction: sink hips).

Can he do well? Sure. I've seen other tall runners do well. But, it's most certainly NOT a feature to look for in a RB. Watch the very best RBs of all time. There are a couple exceptions in there that are upright runners. They were mostly insane athletes.

Can you be taught to run lower, or is it assumed that he will run tall regardless?

Advertisement
Watched his video and kid looks straight line fast as stated previously....I'm a bit worried. Looks like a decent athlete, but I don't think I saw him cutback once, or shake/juke a tackle in his entire highlight reel.

Advertisement
Back