Dan Mullen is a overrated

ball915

All-American
Responded to a thread in the WEZ and did some digging on Dan Mullen. He has been at MSST for 6 seasons and in that time they have scheduled a total of 2 non conference games against Power 5 schools. 1 at home to GT and 1 at neutral site against OkSt. They lost both of them. Mullen has brought the U*** mentality of scheduling the absolute easiest games possible to get 4 wins and then scrape by to find 2 SEC wins to become bowl eligible. Speaking of bowls, he is 2-3 in them against Power 5 teams with his 2 wins over a 7-6 Michigan team and a 6-7 Wake Forest team. In his 6 years there he has 1 winning season in the SEC with Dak Prescott. As last season dwindled so did MSST. Has he elevated MSST from where there were? Yes, no question about it but lets not kid ourselves that he is special nor should be considered for our vacancy. His arrogance on top of everything stated above is mind blowing.

Advertisement
He is pretty far down the list of coaches I would want, but I would rather give that resume a shot than Cristobal's.

You do realize Msst was basically the old version of Duke before he got there right. The Dude has beaaten Bama @ Msst

anybody on ourlist has is better than the previous regime, i want someonewho people hate those r usually the best coaches. the only one i trust whos done it is butch, everyone else comes with question marks if therename isnt meyer or saban.

Yall should look up MissSt history before saying this man is overrated. Its a miracle what hes doing there with the players he gets in that area. Also do realize that he is the reason Urban Myer won at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen and Gary Crowton all learned and perfected this spread offense at NewHampshire while working together.

Advertisement
Yall should look up MissSt history before saying this man is overrated. Its a miracle what hes doing there with the players he gets in that area. Also do realize that he is the reason Urban Myer won at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen and Gary Crowton all learned and perfected this spread offense at NewHampshire while working together.

No question he has made them better as was stated in the OP. However, would not considering him anything special or a candidate we'd want to look at.

Wasnt Mullen a candidate before, when we hired Golden? And didnt he turn up his nose at the offer?

If your judging coaches simply off of win loss records, Howard, Jimmy and Dennis would have never been hired to coach here. You have to take into account all the factors surrounding a specific program , i.e. locale,staff, recruiting base, economics, conference, schedule, finances, etc..,etc..
You would then as an A.D have to surmise if all things being equal, or greater at new school as related to current situation, can that coach reach a higher level of success.

Advertisement

No question he has made them better as was stated in the OP. However, would not considering him anything special or a candidate we'd want to look at.

I would venture to say that he is at a tremendous disadvantage at that school, in that conference. If MissSt was in ACC, they would probably be in conference championship every year

I would venture to say that he is at a tremendous disadvantage at that school, in that conference. If MissSt was in ACC, they would probably be in conference championship every year

Do you know that GT pounded them in the Orange Bowl last year?

Do you know that GT pounded them in the Orange Bowl last year?

and your point is??? I said if they were in the ACC they would probably be in the conference championship game every year.. His winning percentage would look a **** of a lot different and people would be clamoring for him like they were back in 2009

No, Vanderbilt is the version of Duke and still is in that genre. Miss St. had some very good teams under Jackie Sherrill. Mullen, while needing a personality transplant is a good coach, but not very dynamic.

Advertisement

These three super coaches have won how many NCs? I had not idea the spread everyone is worshiping came from the ultimate football powerhouse factory, NEW HAMPSHIRE. And I thought the only thing that happened there are a primary election every four years. So the spread everyone thinks is ideal for So Fl speedy shifty twitchy athletes would be perfect for was born in a state with about 8,000 male African Americans. Crap Al's defense came from a better sample size than that.

Mullen would be a great hire for Miami.

He's done at Miss State what the Mark Stoops fans wish he could do at UK. He's got the 2nd best program in the state, and keeps that team competitive in th SEC West.

That's exactly the kind of hire you that requires you to look beyond the record.

The knocks against him are rooted in his personality, IMO.

Talking about record is pointless at Miss St. He has made them a real team in the SEC. Jimmy Johnson was 29-25 at Ok st.

Good coaches don't have outstanding records everywhere they go. They are competitive, win the occasional big game and move on to greener pastures.

Advertisement
the reason the sec schedules cupcake games is because they dont want their conference exposed

Responded to a thread in the WEZ and did some digging on Dan Mullen. He has been at MSST for 6 seasons and in that time they have scheduled a total of 2 non conference games against Power 5 schools. 1 at home to GT and 1 at neutral site against OkSt. They lost both of them. Mullen has brought the U*** mentality of scheduling the absolute easiest games possible to get 4 wins and then scrape by to find 2 SEC wins to become bowl eligible. Speaking of bowls, he is 2-3 in them against Power 5 teams with his 2 wins over a 7-6 Michigan team and a 6-7 Wake Forest team. In his 6 years there he has 1 winning season in the SEC with Dak Prescott. As last season dwindled so did MSST. Has he elevated MSST from where there were? Yes, no question about it but lets not kid ourselves that he is special nor should be considered for our vacancy. His arrogance on top of everything stated above is mind blowing.

I agree that he is not a good fit right now. But he was a better fit than Golden in 2010 and we made the wrong choice. To ignore what he’s done at Mississippi State is insane. They were miserable and had never done anything in their history until he got there and he’s taken them to a BCS bowl, 2 top 25 finishes and increased their wins per season by 5 or 6 in his tenure compared to the ten years before him.

Say all you want about his arrogance but the dude can coach

oh...and NEWS FLASH, Nobody in the SEC schedules tough out of conference opponents.

If you watch Miss St play then you'd be as baffled as their fans at some of his ridiculously bone-headed calls at critical times. He is overly conservative, and has a history of choking away games they should have won at the end. Last year was supposed to be their magical year. They were kicking *** and in the top 5, but proceeded to lose to their arch rival Ole Miss and choked in their bowl game.

He would be a terrible hire for UM.

And Miss St has had a lot of talent, especially on the defensive side.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back