Dan Morgan CFB HoF

Advertisement
Ray Lewis was the best defensive player in the history of football, all positions, all eras, period. He played 3 seasons at UM starting as a true frosh. I appreciate how good Morgan was as a Lb at UM and it’s really hard to compare these guys at that level (what’s to nitpick?). But to contend that the best defensive player ever wasn’t the best LB at UM, it’s a bit weird, IMO. No disrespect to Morgan, he was amazing. Ray Lewis was a pro bowler in 1997, btw.

Agree to disagree. My first word was “statistically“. You say Ray played 3 years at Miami starting as a true freshman. Dan played 4 years at Miami and started as a freshman. Dan also was the First player in the history of college football to win all three national defensive player of the year awards.

If you are only comparing college careers Dan leads Ray in every category.

They are both Canes and both amazing players. I just don’t see an argument to be made with statistics that shows Ray as a better college player.

Didn't Dan Morgan set the Super Bowl record for tackles in a game? Dude was a monster in the NFL, but his career was cut really short.
The only Panthers jersey I own is a Morgan one.

He was a sensational NFL player (on the Rookie of the Year Team and was a Pro Bowler / All Pro in 04), he just couldn't stay healthy - never played 16 games. Broke his leg as a rookie (getting stiff-armed by Favre no less [but it was mainly the ****** turf]) and had multiple concussions.

He played the game with reckless abandon and his body just couldn't hold up.

I'd say that Kuechly was only a half-step above Morgan as a player, and Kuechly is the best player to ever suit up for the Panthers. That's how good Dan was, so this award is well deserved.

Agree to disagree. My first word was “statistically“. You say Ray played 3 years at Miami starting as a true freshman. Dan played 4 years at Miami and started as a freshman. Dan also was the First player in the history of college football to win all three national defensive player of the year awards.

If you are only comparing college careers Dan leads Ray in every category.

They are both Canes and both amazing players. I just don’t see an argument to be made with statistics that shows Ray as a better college player.
We can debate the criteria. Ray set the UM tackle record as a JR. Morgan broke it as a senior. Awards aren’t game statistics but if you want to talk awards we’ll all obviously agree. In any case, i was addressing the ‘better’ - I don’t think I’ve seen a better LB than Eay Lewis, including Morgan, including Um. but i respect other views.

Btw., just listened to Peyton Manning in an interview state (again) that Ray Lewis was the best, toughest, smartest player he ever played against.

Just funny he said it in an interview just now.

Advertisement
Well deserved.

Its ironic that if the BCS doesn't ***** us in 2000, that Morgan and co. would've played against Stoops and probably beat them in the BCS title game, which would've eliminated Stoops' only ring as a HC.

Probably would still be a hall of famer though for his overall record and all his Big 12 titles (and his ring with Florida as a coordinator).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back