NFL Dan Marino

Jimmy Johnson's tenure with the Fins was strange, he hated any mention of the 1972 Fins and did not want Shula anywhere near the team or facilities. He also didn't get along with Marino. Instead of building around arguably the greatest QB ever (hey, Montana agrees), he wanted the offense to be based on the run game. Yeah Marino was on the tail end of his career, but he could still sling it.
Marino was a "Shula" guy....he even went as far as changing (Audible) calls sent in by JJ.

Advertisement
Vinny remains the most gifted quarterback Miami has yet produced. I was watching clips of the 86 OU game. They showed the famous scramble back-and-forth across the field, and then just an incredible TD pass down the middle to Michael Irvin inches over three defenders. I always wonder how do you do that?

It’s too bad his Miami legacy is tarnished by the Penn State game. He never played on good teams in the NFL until late in his career with the Jets. I still remember the comeback on Monday Night Football against the Dolphins. I think he threw 4 or 5 TDs.
Agree he was our most physically talented passer. Knock on him was that he wasn't that smart. Of course, the same was said of Marino.

Poor Vinny Jr. He just didn’t inherit his daddy’s size & arm strength genes. Interesting how that works sometimes.
He wasn't the worst QB in terms of accuracy we've ever had, by a long stretch. Had a few good moments at TT and at UM. Still in the XFL last I heard.

Agree he was our most physically talented passer. Knock on him was that he wasn't that smart. Of course, the same was said of Marino.
Kind of a bad rap, I think.

Based on his awful game against Penn State, followed by never really a true franchise quarterback. Unfortunately, Tampa Bay had the first pick in the draft and Ray Perkins was the GM/HC/OC/QBC. Perkins was awful, and if I’m not mistaken after Tampa Bay fired him, he never found a major head-coaching job again, certainly not in the NFL or major college program.

Vinny had his flaws but I think he would’ve had a more accomplished career had he gone to a top NFL organization. He played very well for the Jets late his career when Bill Parcells was his coach. Not a HC known for being quarterback friendly.

Still, he played 21 years in the NFL and I believe is in the top 10 in many statistical categories.

Kind of a bad rap, I think.

Based on his awful game against Penn State, followed by never really a true franchise quarterback. Unfortunately, Tampa Bay had the first pick in the draft and Ray Perkins was the GM/HC/OC/QBC. Perkins was awful, and if I’m not mistaken after Tampa Bay fired him, he never found a major head-coaching job again, certainly not in the NFL or major college program.

Vinny had his flaws but I think he would’ve had a more accomplished career had he gone to a top NFL organization. He played very well for the Jets late his career when Bill Parcells was his coach. Not a HC known for being quarterback friendly.

Still, he played 21 years in the NFL and I believe is in the top 10 in many statistical categories.
No question Vinny had bad luck with who he played for in the NFL. And, no one has ever correlated great QB play with being a member of MENSA>

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back