NFL Dan Marino

Imukat

Recruit
I've always thought that Dan Marino was the best QB I've ever seen. Joe Montana agrees.

"He had a quick release. I had to step into a lot of things to get enough [force] on the ball," Montana says of Marino. "He had the perfect torque of his upper body and strength to deliver the ball quickly at a fast release with accuracy."

“Put Marino into today’s game where he gets free release...and his receivers, holy cow, weren't very big," Montana proclaims. "Now these guys are 6'4," 6'5." I think [Marino] is probably one of the most unsung heroes of the game. People don't talk enough about him or realize the numbers that he put up during the times that he put them up."

Advertisement
Not a fins fan but im from da crib so I could be inherently bias for marino but i cant name 5 better qbs than him. The no rings thing is a valid point because the other top guys have a ring or two but just player for player? Dan has an argument with anyone

Not a fins fan but im from da crib so I could be inherently bias for marino but i cant name 5 better qbs than him. The no rings thing is a valid point because the other top guys have a ring or two but just player for player? Dan has an argument with anyone
Put Marino on those Niners teams of the 80’s/90’s or the Cowboys teams of the 90’s & he’d have 4 or 5 rings easily.

Advertisement
Dan Marino Holy Shit GIF

Marino and Rodgers are the best QBs ever. I hope Rodgers sucks *** this year though.

Advertisement
Marino and Elway are the two most gifted throwers ever. Elway was fortunate Denver was able to build a team around him in his last few seasons, and got himself a pair of rings. Marino the most gifted pure passer ever. Elway just a beat behind, plus mobility.

Many may scoff, but from a pure passing point of view Namath is right there. Just watch the tape.

Marino and Elway are the two most gifted throwers ever. Elway was fortunate Denver was able to build a team around him in his last few seasons, and got himself a pair of rings. Marino the most gifted pure passer ever. Elway just a beat behind, plus mobility.

Many may scoff, but from a pure passing point of view Namath is right there. Just watch the tape.
Warren Moon was another. Threw a ridiculously perfect spiral.

Advertisement
Yes.

I grew up in Tampa, nobody will ever convince me and had a stronger arm and threw a smoother pass than Doug Williams.

And Vinny was not slouch….
When Chuck was a GA at UM in 86...(I was living and chefing in St. Pete) I'd go down and watch practices, and was in awe at Testaverde's arm strength. I know people think that Morris had the strongest arm (and it was no slouch) but Vinny, and later Scott Covington had absolute howitzer. Ask @Brooklyndee about Scott's arm....

When Chuck was a GA at UM in 86...(I was living and chefing in St. Pete) I'd go down and watch practices, and was in awe at Testaverde's arm strength. I know people think that Morris had the strongest arm (and it was no slouch) but Vinny, and later Scott Covington had absolute howitzers.
Vinny remains the most gifted quarterback Miami has yet produced. I was watching clips of the 86 OU game. They showed the famous scramble back-and-forth across the field, and then just an incredible TD pass down the middle to Michael Irvin inches over three defenders. I always wonder how do you do that?

It’s too bad his Miami legacy is tarnished by the Penn State game. He never played on good teams in the NFL until late in his career with the Jets. I still remember the comeback on Monday Night Football against the Dolphins. I think he threw 4 or 5 TDs.

Advertisement
Vinny remains the most gifted quarterback Miami has yet produced. I was watching clips of the 86 OU game. They showed the famous scramble back-and-forth across the field, and then just an incredible TD pass down the middle to Michael Irvin inches over three defenders. I always wonder how do you do that?

It’s too bad his Miami legacy is tarnished by the Penn State game. He never played on good teams in the NFL until late in his career with the Jets. I still remember the comeback on Monday Night Football against the Dolphins. I think he threw 4 or 5 TDs.
I went to a Bucs game in 1988...and saw him throw a Pass to Mark Carrier that I still shake my head about.

Jimmy Johnson's tenure with the Fins was strange, he hated any mention of the 1972 Fins and did not want Shula anywhere near the team or facilities. He also didn't get along with Marino. Instead of building around arguably the greatest QB ever (hey, Montana agrees), he wanted the offense to be based on the run game. Yeah Marino was on the tail end of his career, but he could still sling it.

Jimmy Johnson's tenure with the Fins was strange, he hated any mention of the 1972 Fins and did not want Shula anywhere near the team or facilities. He also didn't get along with Marino. Instead of building around arguably the greatest QB ever (hey, Montana agrees), he wanted the offense to be based on the run game. Yeah Marino was on the tail end of his career, but he could still sling it.
Most HCs -- especially the highly successful ones like a JJ or Cowher -- have very fragile egos.

When Chuck was a GA at UM in 86...(I was living and chefing in St. Pete) I'd go down and watch practices, and was in awe at Testaverde's arm strength. I know people think that Morris had the strongest arm (and it was no slouch) but Vinny, and later Scott Covington had absolute howitzer. Ask @Brooklyndee about Scott's arm....
Poor Vinny Jr. He just didn’t inherit his daddy’s size & arm strength genes. Interesting how that works sometimes.

Advertisement
Back