Honestly, what were we going to accomplish with Washington and Vernon coming back? Still lose a minimum of three to four games, so **** it. Start clean, open up schollies, get rid of the previous group, and get as many young, productive freshman experience next year, because they have the chance to grow up big time. Think of next year as 1997. Just got to make sure we get the right kids in.

Advertisement
To **** with all of those guys. Sick of even hearing about that class at this point.

This sucks about Vernon and B-Wash, but I'm happy to see a fresh start. Clean the entire house.

This. We all know is has to happen but we still get uncomfortable talking about it. We will have to finish going through the valley before can climb the mountain again. I'd rather if be a downpour as opposed to a constant drizzle that never goes away.

Youngest team in the nation next year? Oh boy lol

Can McGee, Telemaque, and Armstrong leave too? Might as well go all the way

Advertisement
Oh wow, this just hurts. I guess we won't have any seniors next season

Aside from the 'good riddance' feeling, is Washington a Top 100 pick? Is Vernon? For as much as we've loved Olivier's skillset and physique, what the **** has he produced? I don't see him helping an NFL squad for 2 to 3 years which typically equates to 4th round.

Am I nuts here?

I would like to wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

23.jpg

Advertisement
Washington leaving early I can understand. He's mature and has proven himself on the field.

Vernon, on the other hand...

Aside from the 'good riddance' feeling, is Washington a Top 100 pick? Is Vernon? For as much as we've loved Olivier's skillset and physique, what the **** has he produced? I don't see him helping an NFL squad for 2 to 3 years which typically equates to 4th round.

Am I nuts here?

It's not an optimal long-term financial decision for B-Washington, but it's not horrible either. I can see him getting picked in Round 2ish. He'll move up the draft board as it gets closer to draft day. His transition and sacrifice to LT will be compared with Davin Joseph's at Oklahoma. I think he could have gotten himself a much better long-term deal if he balled out next year, but it's not horrendous.

Vernon's decision is not good. He could have really made himself a good amount of money next year. I have to wonder if he personally didn't think he could fall within the rules and might get suspended (team violation or whatever) next year. More likely, I just think all of these kids had preconceived plans before they even step foot on campus.

I'd be much more for the 'clean house' mentality if we didn't have the sanctions still hanging over are head and were killing it in recruiting. We've got some good players, but are still hurting to recruit at positions of desperate need. This sucks.

Advertisement
Wow. I can't see us winning more than 5 games next year. Team will be very young, with no depth, and no experience. We're not going to be good for a couple years folks.

I won't feel any sympathy if Vernon goes undrafted.

I hope you guys are right about a fresh start, but I don't see this helping much, to be honest. Finding JC's is proving to be as difficult as it always is and immediate PT hasn't swayed a lot of recruits so far (yes, I know there's still time). And I think a lot of these kids would have looked better in year 2 of Golden's system, especially if a a few of the bad influences left. Then again, maybe B Wash and Vernon were the clock punchers that Golden talked about.
It sucks that we have to play in Chicago, and at K State next year, wish we could have played those games in 3 years.

Advertisement
Golden needs to get out there and recruit his *** off. Our current class is going to be very important.

Surprised about Vernon. I know a girl who knows him and his family. From what I gathered, it's a middle class family, at worst. B-Wash has financial issues with his family and I can understand him leaving, but surprised at Vernon's decision.

Am I nuts here?

It's not an optimal long-term financial decision for B-Washington, but it's not horrible either. I can see him getting picked in Round 2ish. He'll move up the draft board as it gets closer to draft day. His transition and sacrifice to LT will be compared with Davin Joseph's at Oklahoma. I think he could have gotten himself a much better long-term deal if he balled out next year, but it's not horrendous.

Vernon's decision is not good. He could have really made himself a good amount of money next year. I have to wonder if he personally didn't think he could fall within the rules and might get suspended (team violation or whatever) next year. More likely, I just think all of these kids had preconceived plans before they even step foot on campus.

Lu, I think the comments from the Streeter/Forston camp earlier in the process this off-season told us a LOT...nothing that those of us following the program for a while couldn't tell you...but, it told us that these boys were out of here ASAP regardless of what they did here. It isn't the first group of players known to simply clock in and clock out during the ShanCoker Country Club Error.

I won't even hate on these players jumping early...go ahead and make that money, regardless of the amount you projectedly lose or make...heck, our program for the most part has been built on guys that strive to make it out of the ghetto and we've had countless guys go early, sometimes too early...the difference I see, the clock punchers have taken over. While the uber talented Michael Irvin's and Jerome Brown's worked their asses off, and the less talented Brett Romberg's and Marty Bibla's of the world equally worked their asses off, not only to be pros, but to be great Hurricanes at the same time.

But this new era of boys...simply put, they don't know how to work. That's not everyone...guys like Damien Berry, Jimmy Graham, amongst others, those boys worked while they were here to be everything they can be, but on the whole...clock punchers. I saw it while I was going to school, saw it during the Shannon regime...its not been an environment conducive to production...the competition aspect amongst players just doesn't exist. If it did, we wouldn't see these players being as complacent as they are.

Final Game in the Orange Bowl...48-0, clock strikes 0:00, confetti rains downs on the Orange Bowl, the crowd that is left, completely deflated, you got people crying in the stands, players walking off the field smiling and yucking it up.

That's these players man...that's them. I'll never forget that night...it is a night that became the definition of this team under Shannon and Coker...whenever I think of the Shannon-Coker Miami Hurricanes, that is what I think of, and the memory is more vivid with each passing year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back