2023 Damari Brown - 2023 DB Commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
As much as I hated Golden, I don’t think he ever got enough credit (hindsight) for the talent he signed, especially considering the sanctions his first few years.

When it’s all said and done he signed/recruited 40+ NFL players in 5 classes (12 of which were ranked outside of the top 500).

Was the roster perfect? Absolutely not, but Richt inherited 24 NFL players year 1.

Mario might’ve inherited 10-12 NFL players and that’s being generous.
You are right but it plays into my point of the bottom 2/3rds of every class. The bottom 2/3rds of Golden’s rosters were awful and filled with players that were G5 level. He most definitely had a plethora of NFL talent but our depth was abysmal and non serviceable

Stubborn f*ck until the end.

If he gets another shot, I wonder if he’ll be as stubborn.

He hitched his wagon to one of his best friends. Personally, I can respect it. But professionally, it was his death knell.

Also, he made a grave mistake hiring Coley to run the offense (although several coaches after him have as well). He prioritized recruiting, which is fine, but as a defensive minded coach, giving the keys to half your team to James Coley obviously is a disaster.

But his first 2 years, he brought in Jedd Fisch, which was clearly an intelligent move. And in 2011 and 2012, under Fisch, we had pretty good offenses both years. We struggled in the redzone in 2011, but we moved the ball very well. And in 2012 we averaged over 30 points a game.

Once Coley got control, it was just a steady decline.

He hitched his wagon to one of his best friends. Personally, I can respect it. But professionally, it was his death knell.

Also, he made a grave mistake hiring Coley to run the offense (although several coaches after him have as well). He prioritized recruiting, which is fine, but as a defensive minded coach, giving the keys to half your team to James Coley obviously is a disaster.

But his first 2 years, he brought in Jedd Fisch, which was clearly an intelligent move. And in 2011 and 2012, under Fisch, we had pretty good offenses both years. We struggled in the redzone in 2011, but we moved the ball very well. And in 2012 we averaged over 30 points a game.

Once Coley got control, it was just a steady decline.
Never hire someone you can’t fire

Advertisement
You are right but it plays into my point of the bottom 2/3rds of every class. The bottom 2/3rds of Golden’s rosters were awful and filled with players that were G5 level. He most definitely had a plethora of NFL talent but our depth was abysmal and non serviceable
Yes depth was big issue, but for as many fillers as Golden took, he actually hit at a pretty high rate with lower ranked players.

2011:
Rashawn Scott (1100th overall)
Thurston Armbrister (0 stars, 0 other FBS offers)
Eddie Johnson (1099th overall)

2012:
Rayshawn Jenkins (842nd overall)
LaDarius Gunter (Juco equivalent to 1200th overall)

2013:
Gus Edwards (681st overall)
Devante Bond (juco with one other P5 offer)

2014:
Herndon (713th overall)
Njoku (851st overall)
Rosier (931st overall)

2015:
Michael Jackson (572nd overall)
Redwine (735th overall)
McIntosh (783rd overall)
Gauthier (1040th overall)

Yes depth was big issue, but for as many fillers as Golden took, he actually hit at a pretty high rate with lower ranked players.

2011:

2012:

2013:

2014:
Herndon (713th overall)
Njoku (851st overall)
Rosier (931st overall)

2015:
Redwine (735th overall)
McIntosh (783rd overall)
This is Golden’s list of bottom third of his classes? My god looking back he really was excellent for us given a mediocre on field product and sanctions

This is Golden’s list of bottom third of his classes? My god looking back he really was excellent for us given a mediocre on field product and sanctions
If the dude could have just demoted Dorito to analyst and hire a manny diaz like DC to pair with the spread OCs he embraced dude should have won WAYYYY more and maybe even got his dream PennState job when it opened…

Not sure why this surprises anyone, Golden did a nice job of finding and developing players at Temple too.

He just couldn't cut bait with Donofrio, but I think could be a solid HC if given opportunity, but up north.

Advertisement
Not all of them, he had misses as well (expected with kids ranked below 500) but due sanctions and mediocrity on field he had to take more to fill classes.

To put it into perspective only two players in the past 7 classes ranked below 500 have made an all conference team (Zion & Pinckney)… & Pinckney was recruited and committed to Golden.

If the dude could have just demoted Dorito to analyst and hire a manny diaz like DC to pair with the spread OCs he embraced dude should have won WAYYYY more and maybe even got his dream PennState job when it opened…
I don’t know who was more stubborn… Mark Richt with his 1991 offense and his son. Or Golden and his YMCA bestie.

One thing is for sure though, Golden left the program in far better shape than MR or MD did.

Golden < manny < Shannon < Mario < richt

And that is being generous to Mario
Just stop man. I saw Manny 2 and that’s all I needed to see.

Edit* im a dumbass

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agreed, and we would have had a meltdown when he left.

Advertisement
He tried way too hard to identify the diamonds in the rough which was his blueprint at Temple. He came to Miami and still recruited like he was at Temple thinking he had to unearth every single player. Some hit, some didn't.

2011:

2012:

2013:

2014:
Herndon (713th overall)
Njoku (851st overall)
Rosier (931st overall)

2015:
Redwine (735th overall)
McIntosh (783rd overall)
Why is Rosier listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.