sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
SDE 1T 3T Edge

Mesidor Jackson Taylor Agude

Roberts Miller Lichtenstein Harvey

Kelly Haye JHH C.Williams

Ishmael Moten Moultrie Moss

There are a lot of pieces on the D-Line for 2022. We have a legit 3 deep this season.

Mesidor and Roberts have flexibility to line up on the edge on early downs and move inside as pass rushers. Roberts is someone I’m hoping can take a step up and stay injury free this season. Kelly is a wild card - heard he is looking like a beast already and I hope he is able to contribute. Ishmael is still another year away from contributing I think.

1T/NT

Jackson is a beast and I think has the best chance to start here. We are a little light at DT and need to add a couple of bigger DT next cycle. Miller has shown some flashes, but also tends to disappear when given opportunities. Hate looked bigger than I expected in the spring game and made a few nice plays. He will battle Miller for the #2 spot.

3T

This may be one of the deepest positions on the team. Taylor has all world talent and showed glimpses of what he can be last year leashing the team in TFL. Harrison-Hunte has teased us with his play. He makes some big plays, but also whiffs on some and gets bullied on others. Hopefully he has added strength and can make more impact plays. Lichtenstein looked good in spring and uses his strength and long limbs to control the LOS. I think he will battle JHH for playing time. Moultrie transferred here, but not sure how much time he’ll get on field with the step up in competition.

Edge

Agude and Harvey are 1-2 with Chantz Williams being 3rd and Moss possibly red-shirting or being used situationally as a rusher. Agude brings some good experience and hustle from UCLA. Harvey has a chance to be a break-out player this season. We need these two to make a lot of plays in the backfield. Williams wasn’t as good last year as I thought he would be - he’s a little stiff. Hopefully he worked on hip/ankle mobility this off-season. Moss is a natural talent, but may lack the size/strength this season.

Overall I’m excited to see what we can do bringing in waves of talented players 2-3 deep this season. I can’t remember the last time there was this much competition for time on the DL. I think we have the bodies for Steele to get creative with pass rush packages, as well as have options to add more size/strength if we are getting run on. Can’t wait to see what we put on the field in game 3 vs A&M.

Advertisement
Great effin post bro, i agree top to bottom. I think roberts is gonna steal snaps at 3T too, and Litch will play some 1T like he did at usc last year. Im very low on miller and haye there

Last edited:
SDE 1T 3T Edge

There are a lot of pieces on the D-Line for 2022. We have a legit 3 deep this season.

Mesidor and Roberts have flexibility to line up on the edge on early downs and move inside as pass rushers. Roberts is someone I’m hoping can take a step up and stay injury free this season. Kelly is a wild card - heard he is looking like a beast already and I hope he is able to contribute. Ishmael is still another year away from contributing I think.

1T/NT

Jackson is a beast and I think has the best chance to start here. We are a little light at DT and need to add a couple of bigger DT next cycle. Miller has shown some flashes, but also tends to disappear when given opportunities. Hate looked bigger than I expected in the spring game and made a few nice plays. He will battle Miller for the #2 spot.

3T

This may be one of the deepest positions on the team. Taylor has all world talent and showed glimpses of what he can be last year leashing the team in TFL. Harrison-Hunte has teased us with his play. He makes some big plays, but also whiffs on some and gets bullied on others. Hopefully he has added strength and can make more impact plays. Lichtenstein looked good in spring and uses his strength and long limbs to control the LOS. I think he will battle JHH for playing time. Moultrie transferred here, but not sure how much time he’ll get on field with the step up in competition.

Edge

Agude and Harvey are 1-2 with Chantz Williams being 3rd and Moss possibly red-shirting or being used situationally as a rusher. Agude brings some good experience and hustle from UCLA. Harvey has a chance to be a break-out player this season. We need these two to make a lot of plays in the backfield. Williams wasn’t as good last year as I thought he would be - he’s a little stiff. Hopefully he worked on hip/ankle mobility this off-season. Moss is a natural talent, but may lack the size/strength this season.

Overall I’m excited to see what we can do bringing in waves of talented players 2-3 deep this season. I can’t remember the last time there was this much competition for time on the DL. I think we have the bodies for Steele to get creative with pass rush packages, as well as have options to add more size/strength if we are getting run on. Can’t wait to see what we put on the field in game 3 vs A&M.
Nice post.

As for the bolded statement, I think the closest was 2017 with:

Joe Jackson/Trent Harris/Garvin
Mcintosh/Moten
Norton/Pat Bethel/Jon Ford
Chad Thomas/Demetrius Jackson

I think you're right. This year's group appears to be deeper. Very curious what Steele plans to do with Moultrie and Lichtenstein.

Advertisement
My question is, where does Moultrie fit in to all of us? Why transfer here to be 4th string? Is he purely a depth piece or do the coaches really think he can make a big impact?
He came in before Mesidor and Jackson. Also they may have had a feeling JHH was going to bolt. He is kind of a tweener as well. Unfortunately I think we have some that are more talented ahead of him.
Mario is going to keep bringing in talent. Look at the recruiting classes for Bama and Georgia and you’ll still see 4&5* players that never contribute. They keep bringing in talent to battle it out and the cream rises to the top. It used to be like that in Miami and I think in the next few years you’re going to see that happen here as well

I think you have to find a way to get JHH on the field. I know he struggled some last year, but Manny’s scheme was atrocious and the coaching was even worse. I know he’s a tweener, but I think people are writing him off too soon. Improved coaching and a more sound scheme should elevate his play. I’m still high on his skill set.

SDE 1T 3T Edge

1T/NT

3T

Edge

Great post I love the insight. There are few points that I have to push back on but I'm very interested in your reasoning. I'm so thankful for the portal!
1. JHH 3rd team? Gotta pair him with Litch for 2nd string
2. I pray that Jackson is that dude. I heard he has great size and is super physical but very raw
3. I think Moultrie and Moss find a way to 3rd team
4. I think Kelly will find his way into the 2 deep. or maybe just wishful thinking

Last edited:
Great post I love the insight. There are few points that I have to push back on but I'm very interested in your reasoning. I'm so thankful for the portal!
1. JHH 3rd team? Gotta pair him with Litch for 2nd string
2. I pray that Jackson is that dude. I heard he has great size and is super physical but very raw
3. I think Moultrie and Moss find a way to 3rd team
4. I think Kelly will find his way into the 2 deep. or maybe just wishful thinking
I agree on JHH - thinking he may be used more on 3rd down/pass rush packages. Needs to be more physical against the run. I know Steele won’t be having these guys just shoot gaps.

Jackson I heard was really coming on in the 2nd half last year. Usually the biggest jump for college players is in their 2nd season as they become accustomed to the strength/speed of the game.

Moss made some plays in the spring, but I’m just not sure about his size/strength this season. I think he’ll get snaps in the 3 non-conference games and we’ll see how he does. Kelly is more ready physically this year I believe.

Moultrie I’m sure will get snaps and we’ll see who has the best camp/season. I just think that there are guys better than him.

I just want to see a physical D-Line that protects the LB and can get after the passer. Steele will have the D much more disciplined than the previous scheme.

Advertisement
I think you have to find a way to get JHH on the field. I know he struggled some last year, but Manny’s scheme was atrocious and the coaching was even worse. I know he’s a tweener, but I think people are writing him off too soon. Improved coaching and a more sound scheme should elevate his play. I’m still high on his skill set.
Despite diaz scheme being unsound we have had success with d-linemen in that system. So jhh doesn’t get that excuse

Love the breakdown but I can’t believe you said Moss over Kelly. Kelly can contribute this year moss needs a redshirt boys too skinny

I love all the depth we've accumulated on the d line. My best guess for starters on d line are Agude, Mesidor, Leich, and LT. Chantz, Jackson, Harvey, and JHH should play a lot too. Should be fun to see the combos Steele comes up with.

Advertisement
Man we all have guys that we see that flash and get stuck on it. JHH is my guy too.

I just know bro can be good. Hope he puts it together.

Excited to see the competition for this position group play out. Lots of potential and spots up for grabs across the line.

Advertisement
Back